Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
iMacs as well in the first 4 months? Interesting, particularly for a close friend of mine who wants to get a new iMac in Feb.

Thanks for the mad dash. All that hyperpasta gave you the necessary carb-boost. :)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Intel Developing Next PowerMac for Apple?

Appleinsider claims that according to "reliable sources", Apple has contracted out the motherboard design for the next-generation PowerMac to Intel.

According to the rumor site, Apple has its current resources so far across the planned Intel iMacs, PowerBooks, iBooks and Mac minis and that outsourcing the PowerMac motherboard design may help them keep a targeted ship date of the 3rd quarter of 2006 for the next-generation PowerMac.

The design is expected to take place within the Intel Apple-Group which was quietly formed in November.

Outsourcing PowerMac motherboard design to Intel may have some interesting consequences regarding control and exclusivity of the design. As well, it exposes the PowerMac designs outside of Apple, which could be a source of future leaks.

Appleinsider notes, of course, that the PowerMac case/industrial design will remain under Apple's control.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
"13" iBooks and 15" PowerBooks?" No other sizes?

But Intel designing the boards makes a lot of sense, considering the number of Intel chips that are likely to be in there anyway.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
I think it's a smart move by Apple. The PowerMacIntel will be pretty much the same as the new dual core G5's. DDR2, PCIe, etc. - other than the Intel chip and any TPM/custom modules. Don't you think Apple's evaluated the situation and is well aware of the higher "leak-potential" of contracting the PowerMacIntel mobo design out? The MacIntel hype will be pretty much past its peak by the time the PowerMacIntel is out. Like the article says, we'll be seeing Intel iBooks, iMacs, Mac minis, and PowerBooks before the PowerMac. I'm assuming that it'd be easy to estimate the PowerMacIntel's specs based on the specs of the other MacIntel introductions.

So it's a good move by Apple - no need to spread themselves thin. It may also have been in the original contract too, who knows? It's a win for Apple, and a win for us users - it should translate into lower costs for us. :D

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
So much for "Designed by Apple in California".

But, I suppose if it makes PowerMacs cheaper for us, then good.

But if the quality suffers or innovation slows, then bad.

Does Apple design all thier own motherboards now?

I don't want to lose features or be locked into Intel only tech though.

And this article implies that the Intel transition will be complete by 3rd quarter this year. That seems awfully optimistic to me, especially since we still don't know what is going to shake out in MWSF.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
No BIOS

No BIOS please. And don't change the boot tone either. Other than that, as long as the boot process is similar to what we currently have it doesn't matter who designs the motherboard.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
plus, it's not like we don't know what it's going to look like. Remember, the iMac was just revised a little while ago, so there's not really anything secret about it anyway.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
slu said:

not true. All that think secret reports could mean is that intel is being told "this is what we need, build it" and they can put the resistors and transmitters whereever they please, but in the end it's an apple computer, designed by apple, in california.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I just hope that silent/quiet computing remains a goal through all of this... I'm sure Apple will have at least some say in the shape/design of the motherboard, in order to ensure that the overall case design works well with regards to air flow.

Some of those beefy PC boxes are just too dang noisy...

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
this is no different to the ipod. the majority of which was not designed by apple... OS by portal player, main interaction by synaptics, chips by multiple vendors, reference design by an independent contractor (since hired by apple).

as long as intel can design what apple specs out it allows apple to focus on those things that only apple can do.

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
Excellent

This is excellent news. A motherboard designed by Intel means a motherboard without all the usual Apple quirks and little bugs that always end up in the shipping products. Intel motherboards are an example of the finest designs that billions of dollars of R&D come up with. This is a smart move on Apple's part.

For anyone who might be confused, don't confuse Intel's motherboards with your bargin basement PC computer that has a generic or cheep motherboard. Intel makes the best motherboards on earth, and they are extremely picky about design and every little feature of the board is obsessed over. It's a good fit for Apple to choose to let Intel make the motherboards.

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
Well to start off, the IBM 970 processor is extremely hot. The Intel chipset runs at about 1/3 the watts of this processor and won't require such a crazy array of fans, and cooling that the 970 and other "g5" processors did.

The machines will remain very quiet.

atari1356 said:
I just hope that silent/quiet computing remains a goal through all of this... I'm sure Apple will have at least some say in the shape/design of the motherboard, in order to ensure that the overall case design works well with regards to air flow.

Some of those beefy PC boxes are just too dang noisy...

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
Object-X said:
No BIOS please. And don't change the boot tone either. Other than that, as long as the boot process is similar to what we currently have it doesn't matter who designs the motherboard.
Don't worry, they'll be using EFI for sure. So will Windows Vista. BIOS is finally dead. :cool:

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I kinda expected this. I think the first generation of just about everything is going to come with Intel mobos and chipsets. Once Apple has everything up and running and they have their feet wet with Intel hardware designs then I expect them to move most if not all of their deisgns inhouse.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
slu said:

But, I suppose if it makes PowerMacs cheaper for us, then good.

But if the quality suffers or innovation slows, then bad.

Does Apple design all thier own motherboards now?

I don't want to lose features or be locked into Intel only tech though.

And this article implies that the Intel transition will be complete by 3rd quarter this year. That seems awfully optimistic to me, especially since we still don't know what is going to shake out in MWSF.
As long as my Mac is fast, I don't really mind who owns the design for the chips. Frankly, a PowerMac at a regular Power'less'-Mac price would be pretty cool

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
animefan_1 said:
That's because AI (and now MR) are using misleading headlines The headline should read: "Intel Developing Next PowerMac Motherboard for Apple?"
LOL maybe it should really read: "Apple retains case design on new PowerMacs, guts outsourced to Intel." :D

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
This is GREAT news - At last CHEAP PC-COMPETITIVE Macs!

This is great news because Mactels could be sold at the same price as PCs out there and not twice as expensive.

Besides, it would be great if Apple would include dual DVD drives and more VRAM, as standard even on ultra-cheap PCs half the price of current Macs.

And frontal connectors, please.

And modular design: we do not want to trow away a gorgeosus 20-inch TFT iMac monitor three years after purchase.

Do not take me wrong. Apple makes a great Mac OS X and great hardware, but sometimes PCs have also good features. Apple should get the best of both worlds.

And finally, imagine a Mactel booting natively as Mac OS X, Windows or Linux. Even better: switch from one OS to other using the new Intel virtualization chips. That would be awesome for many people. That alone would sell millions of Mactels and expand market share from 3% to 20% or more worldwide. That is exactly what Apple needs.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
myth about Apple computer price

Marx55 said:
This is great news because Mactels could be sold at the same price as PCs out there and not twice as expensive.

Besides, it would be great if Apple would include dual DVD drives and more VRAM, as standard even on ultra-cheap PCs half the price of current Macs.

And frontal connectors, please.

And modular design: we do not want to trow away a gorgeosus 20-inch TFT iMac monitor three years after purchase.

Do not take me wrong. Apple makes a great Mac OS X and great hardware, but sometimes PCs have also good features. Apple should get the best of both worlds.

And finally, imagine a Mactel booting natively as Mac OS X, Windows or Linux. Even better: switch from one OS to other using the new Intel virtualization chips. That would be awesome for many people. That alone would sell millions of Mactels and expand market share from 3% to 20% or more worldwide. That is exactly what Apple needs.

try going to Dell and price out a similar PC. I had to about a week ago for work, and it is not any cheaper! If you factor the benefit of using OSX, Apple computer is much better value without question.

Cinch,

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Cinch said:
try going to Dell and price out a similar PC. I had to about a week ago for work, and it is not any cheaper! If you factor the benefit of using OSX, Apple computer is much better value without question.

Cinch,

Dell is expensive crappy stuff!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.