Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Do iphones have sensor to turn off when its too cold? I have had mine die at like 20% and have left my phone in sub zero degree (almost fully charged) and have brought it in warm temp after about a half hour to see my phone shut down.

I know it has sensors for heat, but why cold?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Do iphones have sensor to turn off when its too cold? I have had mine die at like 20% and have left my phone in sub zero degree (almost fully charged) and have brought it in warm temp after about a half hour to see my phone shut down.

I know it has sensors for heat, but why cold?

Technology is not impervious to temperature fluctuations. They all have nominal operating temperatures. See this link - http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/ 3/4 down the page -

Environmental Requirements

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Did it actually give you a cold warning or just shut down? Extreme cold can decrease battery performance. Try reading up on the matter.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I had a friend get a temperature warning from the cold and then her iPhone shut down. So yes they have sensors that will shut it down if it gets too cold. I've found that it works fine in very cold temperatures though as long as you keep it in a pocket close enough to your body to keep it somewhat warm when you aren't using it.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I had a friend get a temperature warning from the cold and then her iPhone shut down. So yes they have sensors that will shut it down if it gets too cold. I've found that it works fine in very cold temperatures though as long as you keep it in a pocket close enough to your body to keep it somewhat warm when you aren't using it.

more or less this was my question, I have seen the hot phone warning message, but never caught a cold one.

Thanks

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
more or less this was my question, I have seen the hot phone warning message, but never caught a cold one.

Thanks

Never seen or heard of a cold warning sensor. What kind of temps are you leaving your phone in? It will greatly decrease battery capacity until warmed up.

I suggest you do not leave it in a car, overnight, in temps less than freezing. Bring your baby in.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Never seen or heard of a cold warning sensor. What kind of temps are you leaving your phone in? It will greatly decrease battery capacity until warmed up.

I suggest you do not leave it in a car, overnight, in temps less than freezing. Bring your baby in.

left it outside for about an hour in -12 degrees, others I have noticed it shutting down in my coat outer pocket (the pocket for putting mp3 players in) in about 15 degrees.

Yay Wisconsin weathers :rolleyes:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
If that's the case, the airwaves must be relatively free of iPhones today.:eek:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I've shoveled snow in -25~C winds with my iPhone in my pocket while listening to music. I took it out a few times to check messages and it was pretty cold but was working normally.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If that's the case, the airwaves must be relatively free of iPhones today.:eek:
It applies to batteries/electronics in general--more or less basic physics--so certainly not something iPhone/Apple related specifically.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Cold will kill you battery but when you have battery left and it's to cold your phones suppose to give you a nasty message telling you to take your phone some where warm.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I've had my iPhone5 shut off while skiing many times on very cold days. When I bring it indoors and it warms up, it still shows plenty of battery life left; thus I'm sure it's the cold causing it to shut down. Once, I was taking a cool 360degree picture using Stitch in a beautiful glade, and the phone just shut off in my hands - it was about 15 degrees F outside.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
left it outside for about an hour in -12 degrees, others I have noticed it shutting down in my coat outer pocket (the pocket for putting mp3 players in) in about 15 degrees.

Yay Wisconsin weathers :rolleyes:

I know all too well as my family lives in Wildrose Wisc not to far from Appleton! I visit to play on the snow machines! TOO much horsepower for a vehicle of which TOO many drive from bar to bar! :eek:

It is minus 17F in Appleton right now. Very few things work after being left in those temps!:p

Stay warm my friend!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've had it shut off in really cold weather, and I mostly don't use it in the extreme cold. I make sure its in a pocket that's close to my body to hopefully get some of the warmth from my body heat.

Ahiqar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Fox Cities, WI
Pants pocket

I agree with previous posters. Keep it close to your body. When out in really cold weather Sunday night, my iPhone stayed functional because it was in my pants pocket. My wife's shut down due to the cold because she was keeping it in her purse. Once we got back into the car, her phone warmed up again and worked fine.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have an older 3gs under IOS 6 that shuts down in cold weather and tells me that it is TOO HOT and must cool down before I can use. I warm with body heat and then it works.

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I've had the heat warning message but never had the cold warning message. My old 4s sometimes cut off at 50% battery when it was cold but i thought it was because it was old and needed new battery.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
I've shoveled snow in -25~C winds with my iPhone in my pocket while listening to music. I took it out a few times to check messages and it was pretty cold but was working normally.

Your body temperature was keeping the the phone warm :p

Limpolo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2016
To me I heard that the temperature sensor on ipads and iphones will trigger the shutdown with no notice if it gets extremely cold to protect the electronics... Limpolo

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
havent seen any cold warning msg... my iphone have just shutted off without saying anything. and iphone is the only phone doing this. other phones have been working fine..

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
There is no reason for apple to shut down the phone in cold temperature as compared to when it is too hot.

The reason the phone just dies is because of how lithium ion batteries operate. A battery could have 80% charge but when left in the cold, the electrons start to move slower and are not able to operate properly so the voltage dramatically drops. This results in the iPhone thinking the battery is almost drained and that is why it shuts off. Theoretically speaking you could keep your phone in -50 and it would work as long as only the battery is kept warm that is why there is no reasnon for a cold warning. As opposed to a hot warning, when things get too hot they start to break.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
the odd part is that it seems to happen everytime when the battery is around 40%. when you try to turn iphone on, it says the battery is empty, but back at home, the battery has 40% left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.