Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Holi yesterday announced that its iPhone and iPad-Controlled smart lamp will be coming to the United States in the near future. Currently, the square 18-LED mood light is available in Europe.

At just over an inch thick and approximately 7.8-inches wide, the Holi light sports a minimalist design that is meant to fit into any room. Much like the Light Strip and the Bloom from Philips' Hue line of lights, the Holi is designed to be an accent light. With over 500 lumens, it produces more light than a standard 40W bulb. Comparatively, the Philips Hue bulbs come in at 600 lumens, while the Bloom has a 120-lumen bulb.

holi.jpg
Users can utilize the Holi app to create various lighting effects, which can be shared with the entire Holi community. Holi is able to sync with music, changing color with tempo, and it also serves as an alarm clock with a built-in dawn simulator.

Holi is able to simulate millions of different colors, and it is also able to combine colors with its individual LED bulbs. Similar light offerings, like the Philips Bloom, are limited to a single color. The Holi app can be used to create lighting scenes from photographs, and it includes pre-programmed effects like rotating colors. Three Holi lamps can be synced and controlled from a single iPhone.

holi2.jpg
Though U.S. pricing has not yet been released, the lamp retails for EUR199 in Europe and will likely cost around $200 in the U.S. It is expected to be available beginning in March.

Article Link: CES 2014: Holi Smart Lamp Coming to U.S. in March

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
It is??? :eek: Not for $130. For light bulbs.

I've had Hue in my house for almost a year and LOVE IT. The automation aspect and color changing/dimming are so handy for different situations that I never would have thought about.

Our 6 year old will get scared of the dark and come into our room at night requesting to keep a light on. I change one of the bulbs to blue and it is easier on the closed eyes to fall back asleep too and gives our son a little piece if mind.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. And I've seen some dumb things.

It's hardly dumb.

It's the sort of customized interior lighting that used to be available only to owners of multimillion-dollar houses.

Now the rest of us can afford to make the insides of our homes look amazing.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Holi yesterday announced that its iPhone and iPad-Controlled smart lamp will be coming to the United States in the near future. Currently, the square 18-LED mood light is available in Europe.

Though U.S. pricing has not yet been released, the lamp retails for EUR199 in Europe and will likely cost around $200 in the U.S. It is expected to be available beginning in March.

Article Link: CES 2014: Holi Smart Lamp Coming to U.S. in March

When my mom finished a reno on her new home in Florida, the contractor put in a lot of LED light bulbs, and said (I certainly hope with a non-morbid tone), "you won't have to worry about replacing a lot of these light bulbs". I installed a lot of LED light bulbs in my former home before I vacated it (well in advance, but nonetheless, before), and I suspect that many of those bulbs will outlast at least one round of tenants, maybe more than one. But hey, they match, they fit, and they will stay there, because they don't fit my new/current/former home (which I have moved back into). Stuff happens. A light-bulb that serves more than one function and lasts a really long time has some merit.

If it's not worth $200 to you (or more realistically $270 with exchange rate (?!?) ), don't buy it.

(The LED's that I bought were admittedly less expensive, and I *can* see where the $200+ price tag will be a genuine issue for lots of folks.)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Giant home buttons you can put in your home—it's like inverted skeuomorphism.

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state
I am happy with the hues I got for Christmas. I don't see as much practicality it this square lighty thing.

Could you not take hue light strip and do the same?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
It's hardly dumb.

It's the sort of customized interior lighting that used to be available only to owners of multimillion-dollar houses.

Now the rest of us can afford to make the insides of our homes look amazing.

The rest of us can't afford a bunch of $200 light squares to change room mood. Also, we can agree to disagree on the level of awesomeness of these devices for the current price.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I am happy with the hues I got for Christmas. I don't see as much practicality it this square lighty thing.

Could you not take hue light strip and do the same?

you mean rgb led strips right?....

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Giant home buttons you can put in your home—it's like inverted skeuomorphism.

This made me laugh. Treat yourself to a cookie.

Anyways, these lights look stunning. I'll take 3. Anyone who thinks these lights are dumb is not looking at this product the right way - they're not supposed to be a practical or inexpensive way of lighting your house. They're more like a flexible (because it changes colors) piece of modern art. It's decoration - think of this as being in the same category as a vace or flowers or China or paintings or sculptures. $200 no longer seems like a crazy price.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
$200?!?!!!? I am definitely in the wrong field.

I agree that at $200 it is way overpriced. I have a number of Hue lightbulbs in my house, which are just great. Maybe this would sell at $100, but I don't see any significant sales volume at $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.