Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
LA
I just bought a nice looking enclosure case for my 20+ bare sata HD's.
Do I need to store the HD's in static free plastic bags or is it ok to leave them bare in the plastic case?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 145
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    593.8 KB · Views: 109

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I just bought a nice looking enclosure case for my 20+ bare sata HD's.
Do I need to store the HD's in static free plastic bags or is it ok to leave them bare in the plastic case?

Thanks!
I'd strongly recommend leaving them in the antistatic bags. Unless the cases themselves are antistatic.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
It's a small nit, but after 20+ years in microelectronics reliability, I'll take the time to educate. Those gray bags are not "antistatic", they are conductive...they are meant not to ward off static electricity, but to keep everything inside them at the same electronic potential - it's the voltage "difference" between two points that causes the static "spark" and damage. If everything is at the same voltage, no spark can occur.

Antistatic enclosures/bags are usually pink plastic and usually don't offer as good of protection.

jonesea

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
You need to get that plastic away from any sensitive electronics. That plastic container will cause all sorts of electrostatic issues with your HD's. At a absolute minimum, put the drives in the shielding bag and tape it shut before bringing them close to the plastic.

I know it looks nice and keeps things tidy, but you are increasing the chance of killing the a board on your HD.

What you might want to do is go to your local electronics vendor and ask if you can have the shipping box that came with their bulk HD order. It's probably a single box with 20-40 slots for each individual HD (wrapped in the shielding bag).

Also, a public service announcement. Not everything that is pink is ESD safe. We had some vendors (far east) ship electronics to us in "pink" looking foam that was nothing more than "pink" standard foam with no electrostatic dissipative properties. This is 8+ years ago, so I don't know how common it is today.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I just pile them up in a cardboard box. Same thing with expansion cards and RAM. In over 20 years I have never had a problem. Only something like a CPU do I really bother with any sort of protective container. That's just to protect it from physical damage from something smacking into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.