Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Whenever I use the Safari browser on my 5th Gen iPod Touch, my iDevice would occasionally redirect me to the App Store and it's always this Dungeon Keeper game by EA or Fire Age (or something like that?), it's not random though only during visits to certain specific sites which led me to conclude that the sites I was visiting are the culprit (right now there's only two); one of them is a celebrity gossip site and the other is MangaHere (Anime/Manga site).

The problem is I have never experienced such a thing before only until recently and I have been visiting both sites with no issues in the past, but now it sometimes redirect and it's annoying. Basically I noticed if the site has a gaming ads for Dungeon Keeper it will redirect.

Is it possible for iOS and Apple devices to be infected? Virus, malware, pop-up ads, trojan? Or it is basically just the site having suspicious code that triggers the redirect whenever we visit?

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? Luckily though on everyday useful sites like Google, Hotmail etc, are not affected. I'm on iOS 6.1.3, no Jailbreak or funny things like that.

Any help appreciated!

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013

Thank you, that link helped! Eased my mind that it's not just me or my iPod, I almost restore my iDevice as new because a lot of people said it helped them and then there were some who said "it didn't worked" so I turned to MacRumors!

Appreciate this! Seriously though, advertisers are so sneaky now. I don't mind ads if it helps with their revenues but not when it annoys and irritates the hell out of me by redirecting, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.