Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced its annual Lunar New Year sale, a one day event for Asian countries that is also known as "Red Friday" because of its similarity to November's Black Friday sales.

appleredfriday2014.jpg
During the event, which takes place three weeks before the Lunar New Year, Apple will be offering deals on Macs, iPads, iPods, and accessories like the Smart Cover. It is unclear whether Apple will offer traditional price cuts or instead give customers gift cards with purchase as it did in the United States during Black Friday. In previous years, Apple has offered modest cash discounts on products.

Discounted prices will be available in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand, on Friday, January 10. Last week, Apple also held its annual "Lucky bag" promotion for Japanese customers.

(Thanks, Andrew!)

Article Link: Apple's 'Red Friday' Lunar New Year Sale to Take Place on January 10 in Asia

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I just bought an iPad mini last Saturday...:( from the pic it looks like iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod Touch and iPod nano will get discounts... and of course Macs too.

ciaocibai

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Doesn't make much sense...

This would be like celebrating Christmas on the 10th of December... Chinese New Year/Lunar New Year isn't until the 31st of January this year.... What's the point?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This would be like celebrating Christmas on the 10th of December... Chinese New Year/Lunar New Year isn't until the 31st of January this year.... What's the point?

This event is similar to Black Friday in the states. Black Friday is about 4 weeks before Christmas.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012

:eek: I don't know about you, but I like to spend my holidays with my loved ones, not being a consumer. :D

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Hm.

Red as in, "The Reds"? Or Red as in "In the Red"?

Kinda funny either way.

Red is the color of happiness/fortune in China and countries/regions that celebrates the Chinese New Year like Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong etc. ;)

ciaocibai

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
This event is similar to Black Friday in the states. Black Friday is about 4 weeks before Christmas.

Ah yes, because black friday isn't associated with any holiday. NOT LIKE THANKSGIVING OR ANYTHING... Oh wait.

kikumako

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
I just bought an iPad mini last Saturday...:( from the pic it looks like iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod Touch and iPod nano will get discounts... and of course Macs too.

I don't think the iPad mini with Retina display will get discounts this time. For one thing, last year the old iPad mini (1st gen) didn't while iPad 4th gen did. For another, the outer two circles of "smart covers/cases" in the promo picture are actually of the same size so I can't say they are two models of iPads. The outer two circles seem to be the iPad Air and its Smart Cover/Case.

----------

Historically this sale is only on products of the previous generation(s). New products get no discounts.

But last year the iPad 4th gen did get a discount while iPad mini didn't. They were both the newest models at that time.

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Someone give the heads up on whether the discounts are better than in the U.S. Apple hardly discounts its stuff here for holidays, probably because they don't have to.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Ok good :p

This is MUCH better..

While the U.S has "Black Friday", the Asia market has "Red Friday"

What's next ?

Australia has "Blue Friday" ? :)

So much for Apple and their "consistency", just like iOS

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Ok good :p

This is MUCH better..

While the U.S has "Black Friday", the Asia market has "Red Friday"

What's next ?

Australia has "Blue Friday" ? :)

So much for Apple and their "consistency", just like iOS

Maybe you should pitch it to them. By the way - what is the blue for?

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Hm.

Red as in, "The Reds"? Or Red as in "In the Red"?

Kinda funny either way.

The color of red is far from just being the colour of communism. Red has been the color of prosperity, love, happiness in all east-Asian countries for millennia. It's just communism came and gave it a bad image.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I didn't know these folks had anything comparable to our Black Friday. Though, I'm sure they're much more civilized and patient with it than we are. I've worked some kind of part-time retail gig the past few Black Fridays (Best Buy, American Eagle, among others) and it just amazes me the things people will say and do to other human beings to get a god damn sweater or Smart Cover. A lot of the different Asian cultures celebrate life itself and are just happy to have each other and good health. Material things are simply extras.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The discounts are actually very small. To put things in context, our iPad air in Singapore starts at $688 for the basic 16gb wifi-only model, and we will likely be seeing discounts of $50 (based on last year), which maybe translates to about US$40 off?

We also saw about $120 off MacBooks, and about 10-15% off related accessories like Apple keyboards, trackpads and routers.

Don't get me wrong - for anyone who happens to be getting an Apple product at that time, any savings is always welcome (assuming it's a flat discount, and not crummy iTunes credit), but even if I bought one earlier, I am not going to be crying about having spent that "extra" few dollars.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Ah yes, because black friday isn't associated with any holiday. NOT LIKE THANKSGIVING OR ANYTHING... Oh wait.

Black Friday denotes the 'start of the christmas season'. This just happens to be the day after Thanksgiving. If Thanksgiving didn't exist, there would have to be some 'start' day. In Asia, since there is no holiday a month before, they have chosen this as the day. Very similar to Black Friday. Are you going to tell me that Black Friday has ONLY to do with Thankgiving, and NOTHING AT ALL to do with Christmas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.