Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnya

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I'm thinking about buying an iPad mini or Nexus 7 to draw, but I'm worried about the rather small screen size being limitation.

One question in particular - Is it like the screen size has to be the canvas size, always?
Or can you, in the middle of drawing, drag your finger on the screen and keep making the canvas larger horizontally, vertically & diagonally, essentially making the canvas size infinite?
I'd like to be able to do that when I realize I needed bigger canvas after I started drawing. (like in Photoshop)

Cuz if not, then I might be better off getting the larger iPad.

Or is this dependent on the app? Then which apps allow you to do this? And can you do it on any tablet that the app is compatible to?

Sorry I hope I'm explaining this right.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You could always go to an apple store and play with an iPad Air to see of the screen size meets your needs. I can't answer about the N7 but you have an opportunity to check it out yourself.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
As Zcott mentioned above, it is app dependent.

Procreate allows for up to 4K high-resolution painting. The higher your resolution in the app, the less layers you will be able to have (sigh, RAM), but a good workaround is to create temp layers and merge them down as you work. I'm painting in 2048x1536 usually (just because it's convenient and I'm not doing highly-detailed work, just cartoony sketches). Procreate allows you to make custom canvas sizes as well.

I use Procreate and Paper (with the Pencil stylus) as my primary sketching apps, and I'm still learning to work with both. Procreate is an incredibly full-featured app -- it also comes with an ebook that I spent an evening poring over which helped me understand the interface and the multitude of features much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.