Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2014, 04:45 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2014: ClearView Audio Shows Off 'Clio' Clear Glass Wireless Speaker

ClearView Audio showed off its Clio Bluetooth wireless speaker at CES 2014, which boasts a unique "invisible" design consisting of an ultra-thin, curved acrylic glass transducer. The speaker's design allows for it to output sound in multiple directions, with volume up/down, mute, and Bluetooth buttons on its side.

ClearView Audio is also touting its patented "Edge Motion" audio system in the speaker, which pushes sound through the side of the device instead of the rear like traditional cone speakers:
Quote:
ClearView Audio's patented Edge Motion audio systems use a differentiating mechanical principal to generate sound. Instead of pushing from behind, like a traditional cone speaker does, Edge Motion-driven speakers actuate a thin membrane along the side in a manner that creates an extremely efficient, piston-like motion in front. The resultant speaker system is thin and lightweight with the ability to produce a rich, full sound across the audio range.
The Clio is available for pre-order at $349 from Clearview Audio's website, and is expected to ship in late March.

Article Link: CES 2014: ClearView Audio Shows Off 'Clio' Clear Glass Wireless Speaker
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 04:48 AM   #2
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

Very sleek and sexy - wonder what the sound would be like?

I wonder if this would allow for remote access, i.e. using an app on my iPhone during workout/chillouts?

Think this would look excellent with my mac pro setup!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 04:50 AM   #3
appleguy123
macrumors 603

All that work into making the "invisible" design and the base still looks bad. I really hope it gets a touch up before it ships.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 05:37 AM   #4
fhall1
macrumors 68020

To heck with wireless Bluetooth.....I'd love a pair even if they're wired to be the front side channels (maybe a third for center channel) for my HT. Since I haven't researched - maybe they already exist....I'm sure someone here will point that out if they do.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 05:46 AM   #5
Seppentoni
macrumors member

Wut? How does this work?
Seppentoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 06:01 AM   #6
SoldOnApple
macrumors member

I wonder what the low end would be like.
SoldOnApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 06:04 AM   #7
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldOnApple View Post
Don't expect much, unless that base unit has a cone driver for the low end
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 06:07 AM   #8
attila
macrumors 6502

Another wireless speaker without AirPlay... sigh...
Old Jan 7, 2014, 06:11 AM   #9
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldOnApple View Post
They're claiming "full range" but with flat panel speakers like these the bass is usually subdued. Apparently, the speaker produces 2.1 stereo sound from a single unit. That itself is impressive. And the sound is supposedly "room filling". I'd want to hear one before I'd consider buying it.
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 06:38 AM   #10
powerstrokin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
They're claiming "full range" but with flat panel speakers like these the bass is usually subdued. Apparently, the speaker produces 2.1 stereo sound from a single unit. That itself is impressive. And the sound is supposedly "room filling". I'd want to hear one before I'd consider buying it.
The kids these days think that the iPhone speaker is adequate and YouTube is the best way to listen to music. (Bandwidth management be damned, but I digress.)

I'm sure it has a place but if I'm going to spend a bunch of money for a small radio, I'm going to buy a Tripath amp and a decent set of small speakers. Much less money and better sound I'm sure.

To each his/her own, I suppose.
powerstrokin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 07:24 AM   #11
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppentoni View Post
Wut? How does this work?
I'm not electronics expert, but this is clearly witchcraft :P
Ventilatedbrain is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 07:26 AM   #12
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

with all that glass just sitting there, I am surprised that they did not put some LEDs to create a light show to go with the sound

This is interesting and you could see how this could eventually end up on a screen -- using the screen itself as a very large speaker -- TV, Phone, Tablet, or computer screen. My guess is that this is just a start and the technology can be developed further and in positive ways.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 08:13 AM   #13
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

I wonder if the same technology can be used to make the glass on an iPhone the speaker?
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 08:31 AM   #14
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper View Post
I wonder if the same technology can be used to make the glass on an iPhone the speaker?
It's possible. But every time you touched the screen, it would alter the vibrations and muffle the sound.

EDIT: Evidently, it's already been tried. From Clio's site: "2006 -- Emo Labs creates an LCD display with an invisible speaker system."

I can see this being used in monitors or TVs, though. The current speakers on those are usually pathetic.

Last edited by jayducharme; Jan 7, 2014 at 08:40 AM.
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 08:33 AM   #15
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
All that work into making the "invisible" design and the base still looks bad. I really hope it gets a touch up before it ships.
I'm not sure why you think the base looks bad. It looks innocuous, which I think is the idea.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:03 AM   #16
Deedlez
macrumors regular

It's sort of like the Bose Sounddock speaker system, except the big grille bit is now glass. Looks nice; I think my Mrs would approve of it as it's unobtrusive.

But it would definitely need a listen - can't see how the glass panel could have a decent dynamic range. Particularly for the price...
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:54 AM   #17
kenzbud
macrumors member

I wonder if this is a similar technology to Martin Logan's electrostatic speakers?
kenzbud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:47 AM   #18
Hene
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzbud View Post
I wonder if this is a similar technology to Martin Logan's electrostatic speakers?
I think it's exactly the same. I have a pair of ML's with electrostatic membrane and the listening area is very narrow. You have focus the speaker very precisely.
Hene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 01:32 PM   #19
illicit2k1
macrumors newbie

looks like a sound bar with a piece of glass attached to it. cool technology but don't call it "invisible". a standard sound bar is more "invisible" than this thing.
illicit2k1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 02:14 PM   #20
KdParker
macrumors 68030

finally heading in the right direction. Can't wait for my first clear iPhone?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 02:27 PM   #21
X-Ravin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokin View Post
The kids these days think that the iPhone speaker is adequate and YouTube is the best way to listen to music. (Bandwidth management be damned, but I digress.)

I'm sure it has a place but if I'm going to spend a bunch of money for a small radio, I'm going to buy a Tripath amp and a decent set of small speakers. Much less money and better sound I'm sure.

To each his/her own, I suppose.
Oh man don't get me started. I have a $2500 headphone setup on my desk and my friend who claims he's an audiophile tried it out by listening to YouTube music. Much sadness...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion