Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
There have been any number of old threads that someone finds and adds what is essentially a useless comment to. Very often these people commenting on old threads are new forum members that have very low post counts.

I know that sometimes commenting on an old thread is appropriate, but often it is not. To that end, I propose a couple of modifications to forum posting I'd like to see.

The first is that new members with low post counts can't post on a thread where the most recent comment is over 6 months or a year old.

The second modification I'd like to see is when someone posts on a thread where the most recent comment is over 6 months old that they get a warning that the last comment was over n months ago (or n years ago for older threads) and are they sure they want to do that. The exact wording for this message would need to be worked out.

Between the 2 of these I would hope that we don't see old threads resurrected that should not be resurrected.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Unfortunately most of the time when an old thread is resurrected, it's by a spammer with 2-3 links in their signature they want you to click. These posters would not be deterred by your suggestions. Other posters usually pile in after the spam post not realizing how old the thread is.

Your recommendations, while reasonable, would do very little to reduce the occurrence of thread resurrection. That is just my opinion though.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Unfortunately most of the time when an old thread is resurrected, it's by a spammer with 2-3 links in their signature they want you to click. These posters would not be deterred by your suggestions. Other posters usually pile in after the spam post not realizing how old the thread is.

Your recommendations, while reasonable, would do very little to reduce the occurrence of thread resurrection. That is just my opinion though.
My first suggestion would catch spammers with few posts. And my first suggestion would also catch new forum members who are looking for any post to comment on.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, yes, but what is the problem with resurrecting old threads? If ignored, they'll die a natural death of their own accord.

Besides, I have another concern about seeking to censure someone for resurrecting an old thread, wittingly or unwittingly. Indeed, how often are newbies (genuine newbies, stumbling around seeking some sort of information, not, obviously, the spam merchants) told to search old threads to find an answer to a question, or an issue which has been dealt with ages ago.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Well, yes, but what is the problem with resurrecting old threads? If ignored, they'll die a natural death of their own accord.

Besides, I have another concern about seeking to censure someone for resurrecting an old thread, wittingly or unwittingly. Indeed, how often are newbies (genuine newbies, stumbling around seeking some sort of information, not, obviously, the spam merchants) told to search old threads to find an answer to a question, or an issue which has been dealt with ages ago.
I don't have a problem with resurrecting old threads when it's appropriate to do so. But there are always threads resurrected for the wrong reason.

That's why I suggested a warning that would still allow them to post if they want to. Many people never realize the date when the post on an old thread.

Maybe the gate for new forum members to post on an old thread should be somewhere between 1 and 5 days to cut down on the spammer issue.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I see no need for implementing these suggestions.

Posting in an old thread is not against the rules. There may be times when a new post in an old thread is still relevant. If the post is spam, report it (
report.gif
) and we'll deal with it. Otherwise if the post or thread is of no interest to a viewer, move along and find one that is.

Adding extra duties for us to issue reminders/warnings for such is not a good idea either.

We do appreciate the suggestions though. :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This is kind of funny given the site has a feature (Similar Threads) that offer you links to threads, some a decade old.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Adding extra duties for us to issue reminders/warnings for such is not a good idea either.

We do appreciate the suggestions though. :)
I did not mean a manual warning, I meant an automated message when the comment is being posted of something like "This thread is x months/years old are you sure you want to post to it?" The person can then hit yes or no. No manual intervention required by a forum moderator/admin. It would just be adding code to the forum system to do that.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Thread necro happens everywhere and IMHO is OK..it shows some history and gives some context to the older posters here.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
There have been any number of old threads that someone finds and adds what is essentially a useless comment to.
I find the opposite is true. We do not know everything today. Maybe we know something more tomorrow. Give this knowledge a chance. MR is like a information development lab.

I learned a lot from old threads, even with updated post.

Sorry that i have to say this, but i think a warning is not the right way.

----------

I dont think your fixing any problem.
You hit the nail on the head!

+1 & of course THANKS :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.