Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2014: OtterBox Introduces New One-Piece Symmetry Series Case for iPhone 5s and 5c

At CES today, Otterbox introduced a new series of iPhone cases that are some of OtterBox's most minimalist yet. The one-piece Symmetry case is available in a number of different colors and graphic designs for both the iPhone 5s and 5c.

The cases leave the front of the iPhone completely exposed, but they protect the sides and back of the device -- a very popular style of case. OtterBox also has the Commuter and Reflex series cases, but those use multiple pieces rather than the one-piece design of the Symmetry.

Quote:
The OtterBox Symmetry Series is the culmination of over a year of design, testing and innovation. This slender, cleanly constructed protective smartphone case is molded into a single piece for ease of installation. A dual-material construction makes Symmetry Series one of the slimmest, most protective cases in its class and a raised beveled edge helps keep the touch screen safe. Internal synthetic rubber with honeycomb coring helps protect the device from drops and shock. A full spectrum of wraparound colors and graphics on the sleek exterior add seamless style that slides easily into and out of pockets.
The OtterBox Symmetry Series will be available for $40 and $45 depending on color. They should be available in early Spring of this year.

Article Link: CES 2014: OtterBox Introduces New One-Piece Symmetry Series Case for iPhone 5s and 5c
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:50 PM   #2
procrastinasn
macrumors member

Is it just me, or does this make those $39 Apple leather cases not look too expensive?
procrastinasn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:54 PM   #3
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Leave it to marketing geniuses to sell an asymmetrical case under the name "Symmetry".
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:57 PM   #4
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

The floreal motive will sell like hotcakes.

/s
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:59 PM   #5
millertime021
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to millertime021
I just don't understand why cases like these are that expensive. If it was a full phone case, sure, I guess; it's protecting an investment.

I feel like these should be ~$20.
millertime021 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime021 View Post
I just don't understand why cases like these are that expensive. If it was a full phone case, sure, I guess; it's protecting an investment.

I feel like these should be ~$20.
They're that expensive because there are people in the world willing to spend that much on a case. Spigen and others make similar cases for much less. It looks like Otterbox is trying to diversify their product line from just making super protective cases.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 04:36 PM   #7
KazKam
macrumors member

Giant Logo

That giant "Otter" logo on the back is hideous IMO. Yes I know the Apple case has a large Apple logo, but it's more subtle, and it is after all an Apple iPhone inside. The Apple logo on the case mirrors the Apple logo on the back of the actual product.

Why would I spend $45 to advertise for Otter?
KazKam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 07:10 PM   #8
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post
That giant "Otter" logo on the back is hideous IMO. Yes I know the Apple case has a large Apple logo, but it's more subtle, and it is after all an Apple iPhone inside. The Apple logo on the case mirrors the Apple logo on the back of the actual product.

If they were concerned about advertising, they'd move the logo to the top, where your hand isn't likely to cover it up
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:27 PM   #9
MMANN113
macrumors member

Talking

Where are the holes for the 5c cases??
MMANN113 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:36 AM   #10
soundr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

It's likely that they accentuated the logo for the purpose of the ad. So you will know what brand of case you are looking at.
soundr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 05:52 AM   #11
seanybryan
macrumors newbie

I think I will pick one up for my 5c, just because I hate the current Commuter Case for 5c. The Apple logo cutout is off-centered, and the entire bottom is open/exposed/unprotected. I wish this case was a little less expensive seeing as it is one piece, not two. Oh well, the 5c doesn't have too many good case options, so I guess beggars can't be choosers.
seanybryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion