Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

well.....

• yes i do

Votes: 46 46.5%
  • no but i plan on soon

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • no but i am considering one

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • no and have no interest. Onscreen only

Votes: 39 39.4%

• Total voters

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
i think theyre overpriced, $100-150! Ridiculous prices for a keyboard. I just cant justify the prices and i would never carry it with me cause it defeats the purpose of what a tablet is. the only time and place i would use one is at home on the table when i need to type a lot, or in bed again when i need to type alot.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
i think theyre overpriced, $100-150! Ridiculous prices for a keyboard. I just cant justify the prices and i would never carry it with me cause it defeats the purpose of what a tablet is. the only time and place i would use one is at home on the table when i need to type a lot, or in bed again when i need to type alot.
You need to brush up on your shopping skills. Portable bluetooth keyboards start at $15 and go up from there. I own one of those $15 keyboards that snap onto an iPad as a cover. They are actually pretty good.

I then picked up a Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover ($80). It acts just like a smartcover and hardly adds to the thickness or weight.

As for "defeating the purpose of what a tablet is", maybe in your narrow definition of the purpose of a tablet.

I prefer the flexibility of having a device that can act as a netbook or a tablet with a snap of a magnetic clasp.

If Apple would also provide support for bluetooth mice....

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I was given a Logitech keyboard cover for the iPad Mini from someone who purchased it in the US without realizing the keyboard lacks certain characters she wanted. I don't use it as a cover as I keep my rMini in a Dodocase Hardcover. I still carry the keyboard with me in my backpack (it weighs next to nothing) and I find it quite useful for when I want to type notes or edit documents. However, for meeting notes and other jottings that i don't want to edit or share, I use handwriting with a stylus in the Notability app.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I've used mine quite a lot. While I can type pretty fast on the on screen keyboard, I can type superfast with an external keyboard. I often take it when I go to conferences and full day seminars instead of my MBA, because then I know I won't have an issue with internet connection or battery life.

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
No, anything that I need to type I do on a keyboard connected to a pc/mac, my ipad is for content consumption, not creation.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've used mine quite a lot. While I can type pretty fast on the on screen keyboard, I can type superfast with an external keyboard. I often take it when I go to conferences and full day seminars instead of my MBA, because then I know I won't have an issue with internet connection or battery life.
That has been my experience as well. I developed my greatest appreciation for my iPad 4 / BT keyboard combo after attending a week long of full day seminar sessions... Full usage during each day, typing, internet, etc. and after 9 hours still having nearly 50% battery life. Others who had notebooks had to scramble for a power outlet at least one time (many needed to charge twice) during each day.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Since the Clamcase Pro connects via bluetooth I voted yes. I don't use this all the time, but I really do like typing on this more than the screen.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I voted no, even though I bought an Apple KB for my original iPad. I find, for my daily usage, a stylus is much more comfortable and easier to use.

If I need to write a long email, etc., my MBA is better suited for those chores.

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
Most of the time (by far up until very recently), I use my iPad for news, magazines, web, games, XBMC TV remote, etc. The virtual keyboard is perfectly fine for this.

I have started journaling more and thus broke out my old Logitech bluetooth keyboard and really enjoy using that for this purpose. No way I'm using a keyboard while on the couch, but when I want to do some real writing there is no doubt that having a portable keyboard option (full size!) is a must.

The one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Keyb...90711&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+bluetooth+ipad

The one I want:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Blue...90711&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+bluetooth+ipad

I like the fact that the new one is has backlit keys. It also has a better quality feel although that is subject to ones experience. They both feel excellent to type on.

The nice thing about these is the fact that they have volume buttons, music rewind, pause/play, fast forward, home button, etc. that work right out of the box. Very nice experience with IOS for me.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I have the Logitech keyboard that comes in it's own case. I really only use it when I need to do school work on my iPad. I do not carry it all the time, but if I need to take it with me the weight is negligible.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
By all the yes votes, I'd say most of you are trying to make your iPad something it really isn't. You now have overpriced (and severely underpowered) netbooks. LOL! :D

Why didn't you all just get an 11" MacBook Air?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

so what is the purpose of this thread?

and btw if you shop around you can get some slick deals from time to time. a month back i got this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-...hite/1712296.p?id=1219062288768&skuId=1712296

for only $39.99...bought several actually ;)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
On screen keyboard. Never tried a bluetooth keyboard with my iPad yet although I have an Apple BT keyboard.

After trying to type on a Nexus 7 keyboard, I really appreciated the on screen iOS keyboard.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
By all the yes votes, I'd say most of you are trying to make your iPad something it really isn't. You now have overpriced (and severely underpowered) netbooks. LOL! :D

Because we don't want it to HAVE to be a laptop. If you're a writer it's nice to have the ability to unwrap a keyboard and bang some work out while you're at a Panera Bread or something, then pop the keyboard away and enjoy your tablet.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

I have no need for a laptop at this point. In fact, I have one collecting dust in a closet. It is nice to have the option to get some school work done while I am away from my Mac Mini at home.

I'd much rather have a "severely underpowered" iPad over any netbook.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Because we don't want it to HAVE to be a laptop.
Does it really matter what you call it? :confused:

If you're a writer it's nice to have the ability to unwrap a keyboard and bang some work out while you're at a Panera Bread or something, then pop the keyboard away and enjoy your tablet.
What does "pop it away" mean? So now you have to carry something to store that keyboard in? My daughter has a Logitech magnetic keyboard cover that she removes and loses constantly.

And many here are touting clamshell keyboards as the answer. By definition, that's approaching the characteristics of a laptop to me. (Just a pricier and vastly underpowered version). And they can often double the weight of the iPad. Then we come to the deficiencies of iOS; It's not made to take advantage of those things. You still need to fight gravity and interact with the display. (No arrow keys, no trackpad). BT keyboards for the iPad are afterthoughts, nothing more. The iPad has always been a "consumption" device and I just think it's hilarious when people try to turn it into something even Steve Jobs said it wasn't.

But I'm not condemning people for wanting to find alternative ways to interact with their devices. Just their final solutions that don't make sense - both economically and physically. I've certainly made those mistakes. The solution for me was a decent $10 stylus and a handwriting recognition app that turns my scrawls into text. Text that I can copy, paste and manipulate in a multitude of apps. You don't need two hands or a place to park your device. Throw in a cheap 4 ounce folio cover and you still have something easy to carry, provides some protection and adds very little weight or bulk. Granted, we all can type faster than we can scribble words on paper or a display but for me this works well. Not "perfectly", but well enough.

So I still maintain, if one does that much "writing", get the right tool for the job. I just got an iPad Air when it was released so it will be a while before I follow my own advice. But by then I'll see where Apple stands with the 11" MBA and also see what the rest of the world has to offer.

----------

I'd much rather have a "severely underpowered" iPad over any netbook.
But how about a device that's still lightweight and uses the same OS as that mini of yours thereby interacting seamlessly with said mini. And nothing else to buy?

For basically the same price...

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
[/COLOR]But how about a device that's still lightweight and uses the same OS as that mini of yours thereby interacting seamlessly with said mini. And nothing else to buy?

My iPad interacts seamlessly with my Mini for my uses. I spent less on the iPad and Keyboard than I would have on a MBA. For what it's worth I got the keyboard for around half price.

Also, my iPad is a consumption device 95% of the time, I rarely use it for school and once I am done in August I would have no use for a MBA. I will rarely even turn on my Mini at that point. Furthermore, I use my iPad in places without wifi quite a bit. If I went with the MBA instead of an iPad I would need another device or to use tethering on my phone, which is not an option for me (I do not want to give up my unlimited data on ATT).

Of course, this is all based on my usage, so I cannot say what the best setup is for others, which is what you seem to be doing. :)

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

Because the Air is not a tablet. Just because you do a little intense writing doesn't mean you need a laptop. If I carry some bricks in my sedan does that mean I should have gotten a truck instead?

And $499 plus a keyboard is cheaper than $999.

----------

Does it really matter what you call it? :confused:

What does "pop it away" mean? So now you have to carry something to store that keyboard in? My daughter has a Logitech magnetic keyboard cover that she removes and loses constantly.

And many here are touting clamshell keyboards as the answer. By definition, that's approaching the characteristics of a laptop to me. (Just a pricier and vastly underpowered version). And they can often double the weight of the iPad. Then we come to the deficiencies of iOS; It's not made to take advantage of those things. You still need to fight gravity and interact with the display. (No arrow keys, no trackpad). BT keyboards for the iPad are afterthoughts, nothing more. The iPad has always been a "consumption" device and I just think it's hilarious when people try to turn it into something even Steve Jobs said it wasn't.

But I'm not condemning people for wanting to find alternative ways to interact with their devices. Just their final solutions that don't make sense - both economically and physically. I've certainly made those mistakes. The solution for me was a decent $10 stylus and a handwriting recognition app that turns my scrawls into text. Text that I can copy, paste and manipulate in a multitude of apps. You don't need two hands or a place to park your device. Throw in a cheap 4 ounce folio cover and you still have something easy to carry, provides some protection and adds very little weight or bulk. Granted, we all can type faster than we can scribble words on paper or a display but for me this works well. Not "perfectly", but well enough.

So I still maintain, if one does that much "writing", get the right tool for the job. I just got an iPad Air when it was released so it will be a while before I follow my own advice. But by then I'll see where Apple stands with the 11" MBA and also see what the rest of the world has to offer.

----------

But how about a device that's still lightweight and uses the same OS as that mini of yours thereby interacting seamlessly with said mini. And nothing else to buy?

Who cares what Steve jobs wants you to use it for? Start using your devices how you want instead of how one guy wanted you to use them. We can argue that why get an ipad and stylus when you could have just gotten a notepad and pen? There is no way you can use a stylus as fast as we can type. You keep saying MBA 11 and same price but $1000 is not the same as a $299 or $499 device. I'm not going to buy another laptop just so I can finish a report or edit some pages when I can pull out a keyboard and start typing. Sorry that your daughter loses hers, but others who take care of their products find many uses for it without spending more $$.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
If I carry some bricks in my sedan does that mean I should have gotten a truck instead?
If you haul bricks a lot, then yes, I would certainly get a truck. I would NOT go through the added expense of adding a trailer which is basically what you guys are doing with your iPad add-ons. Thanks for supporting my argument. :D

And $499 plus a keyboard is cheaper than $999
A memory equivalent 128GB iPad Air + keyboard will run you over $900.

Who cares what Steve jobs wants you to use it for?
Uh... because for the sake of argument, he invented the thing - with all it's inherent limitations. If you don't think Jobs had any influence on what the iPad or iOS is then we need to have another conversation.

Start using your devices how you want instead of how one guy wanted you to use them.

The problem is, this "one guy" built his intentions into the device.

You guys crack me up. :D

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I would NOT go through the added expense of adding a trailer which is basically what you guys are doing with your iPad add-ons.

The iPad is superior to the MBA if you are on the go a lot for work and make notes and consult documents as you go along. There's a never a problem with internet connection, and there's never a problem with battery life. Stylus use is an added bonus.

What makes sense ultimately depends on your usage scenario. I have a work flow where the iPad and MBA complement each other very well. And I certainly don't care what Steve Jobs may have thought about that set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.