Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
Anyone know a way to turn of the iSight besides using the iChat menu bar?

A guy I know, his sister just got a new iMac for christmas and she has started to use it in the wrong way. ie. half naked pics.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
mkrishnan said:
Ugh. :( Can parental controls do it?
His parents alredy talked with her. He wanted to know if there was anyway to completely disable it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
RyanSA4 said:
His parents alredy talked with her. He wanted to know if there was anyway to completely disable it.

Hehehehe...no, sorry, I mean Parental Controls within Tiger. :) In System Preferences -> Accounts. I don't know if it can do this or not, though...since I do not have an iMac with an iSight.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
mkrishnan said:
Hehehehe...no, sorry, I mean Parental Controls within Tiger. :) In System Preferences -> Accounts. I don't know if it can do this or not, though...since I do not have an iMac with an iSight.
haha, i thought that's what you meant. He said he already searched through all the system preferences and couldn't find anything. I guess i'll just keep search the forum. :)

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
I guess the only way to completely disable it would be a firmware hack or fiddling around deep within the iMac's innards; neither of which I'd particularly recommend/know how to do...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
They should just take the iMac away. I'd put my clothes on pretty darn quick if I were her...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ITASOR said:
They should just take the iMac away. I'd put my clothes on pretty darn quick if I were her...

*crafts "Will Strip for a Mac" sign*

Seriously, that's a really good point. Anyone old enough to have this issue is old enough to make their own decisions. She can get the computer back when she comes up with a plan to make her parents trust her with it again. :(

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
TTIWWP!

Heheh, just kidding, just kidding!

In all seriousness... You can set up a non-admin account for her to use, and disable the iSight in there... At least I think you can do that.

RyanSA4

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
CT
katie ta achoo said:
A piece of tape could do the trick.
haha, I already recommended a black Sharpie. His idea was to just jam a screwdrive through the iSight. :D

SkAlex

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2004
Does it really matter?

If not iSight, I'm sure she has access to digital cameras...camcorders...strip poles...I'm pretty sure technology isn't going to solve this problem. :rolleyes:

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
uninstall ichat?, then hid the osx disks.
Or maybe theres a special port the isight uses that you can disable.
Try calling or emailing apple, maybe they will know.
If all else fails take the computer away.

And off topic, how do you guys get the apple logo you type to show up in your sig, when i type it it shows up as a "?" after i save it.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Not sure I would classify it as using the iSight the wrong way but rather the individual is not using it in a manner suitable for their age. How about put the iMac in an area of the house where they can see her? Also, if she is willing to take her clothes off that easily then better keep her away from any digital cameras or any photographic devises while you are at it... um... looks like the best parental device here would be a good sit down and talk.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Laser47 said:
And off topic, how do you guys get the apple logo you type to show up in your sig, when i type it it shows up as a "?" after i save it.
You have to write & # 6 3 7 4 3 ; (no spaces) and then hit submit without previewing it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
After G said:
You could always chmod iChat so she can't use it.

It's easy to prevent someone from iChatAV'ing. You can use Parental controls to restrict application access, you can delete it, you can close the firewall ports necessary for AV chats (which should prevent an audiovisual chat while allowing text IM), and so on. But none of this prevents use of the iSight without iChat...

Anyway, hope they find a good solution. Which will probably not be technical in nature....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.