Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HasoMujo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Hi all,

How is your free RAM behavior with iOS 7.04 + JB now that "StatusModifier" is out?

Thus far I think that on my iPhone 4S there is much less RAM available (or reported as available) than before with iOS 6.1.2 ...

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hi all,

How is your free RAM behavior with iOS 7.04 + JB now that "StatusModifier" is out?

Thus far I think that on my iPhone 4S there is much less RAM available (or reported as available) than before with iOS 6.1.2 ...

I do believe iOS 7 uses more RAM than iOS 6, but not entirely sure

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
When I had my jailbroken iphone 4 on 6.1.3 the free RAM would never go above ~200 MB. With the jb on 7.0.4 I've never seen it go free above ~150 MB, actually most of the time it stays in the ~100 MB range. While the free RAM may be less my iOS feels a lot smoother to operate than it ever was before.

That said I think it pushes certain apps to be well designed. For eg I bought the NextGenUI theme and while it's spectacular uses actual RAM, thereby causing tons of lag, instead of utilizing local cache on the flash storage. The dev is aware of this and is tweaking it to allow a smoother interaction.

Maverik3

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Meridian Idaho
I have sb power alert and they each say something different so I'm not actually sure Which one is correct

They are off by like 130 mbs
But on my 5s I'm getting 300-600

faizoff

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
And as we speak I just saw the free RAM shoot up to 182 MB, first time I've seen that on my iphone 4 7.0.4.

I would also have to say that I see free RAM go all the way down to single digits something I never remember seeing with after the 6.1.3 jb.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
my iphone 5 on 6.1.2 had free ram about 200-300mb while playing arround and after reboot and all apps closed from background 650mb .

now on ios 7.0.4 while messing arround i have seen even 8mb free and for sure much less ram than ios 6.
i get usually 100mb or 80mb and that only with safari and few apps on background.
i think ios 7 needs much more ram :mad:

HasoMujo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Hi all,

Thanks for info guys!

BTW, on my iPhone 4S the free RAM is usually about 100 MB without any programs running but it sometimes shows 150+ MB (usually in the morning - possibly some automatic iOS7 memory clean-up during night when no user action was happening) and sometimes can be as low as 50 MB...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Free RAM is wasted RAM. iOS 7 is very good at managing RAM, and will free up RAM when it needs it. Otherwise, it will fill up nearly everything with saved states, etc. It's harmless...all it will do is speed load times of recently used apps. Unless you have an actual issue with lack of RAM causing a crash or something, watching your RAM obsessively is pointless.

HasoMujo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
Hi all,

Yesterday I was using PKGBackup and after exiting it the Free RAM was 250 MB (this must be due to extreme RAM usage of that program - on all my iPhones this was one of the programs that always used greatest possible amount of RAM)! :D

BTW, this only confirms what "thelatinist" wrote above - apparently iOS7 uses RAM much more aggressively and on purpose it fills RAM with useful data to be cached in order to speed things up for the user... the only question is how accurate those predictable caching algorithms are... ;)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
The other thing to remember is that most tweaks are really very tiny. If you ever look at the source code for a tweak you'll see that they can be very small. The tweak RemoveRecents inserts maybe 10 lines of code into the Springboard process -- lines which basically add a check to see whether an app is running before adding it to the Switcher. It's running all the time, yes…but it's running in the same way that Springboard is running because it becomes part of the Springboard process. And unless it's poorly written (which some tweaks are!) it won't significantly change CPU usage.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
I have sb power alert and they each say something different so I'm not actually sure Which one is correct

They are off by like 130 mbs
But on my 5s I'm getting 300-600
StatusModifier uses free_count
SBPowerAlert uses free_count + inactive_count

I don't really know what inactive_count memory is (sounds like it could be memory used for inactive apps in the background or some such) but all of the sample source code on the internet that I have looked at only uses free_count for free memory calculations. SBPowerAlert technically says "RAM Available" and not "RAM Free" so maybe that's why the author included inactive_count?

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
Free RAM is wasted RAM. iOS 7 is very good at managing RAM, and will free up RAM when it needs it. Otherwise, it will fill up nearly everything with saved states, etc. It's harmless...all it will do is speed load times of recently used apps. Unless you have an actual issue with lack of RAM causing a crash or something, watching your RAM obsessively is pointless.

This would be true except for the fact that some apps/tweaks are poorly written and do not properly 'release' RAM when the tweak/app is closed.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
StatusModifier uses free_count
SBPowerAlert uses free_count + inactive_count

I don't really know what inactive_count memory is (sounds like it could be memory used for inactive apps in the background or some such) but all of the sample source code on the internet that I have looked at only uses free_count for free memory calculations. SBPowerAlert technically says "RAM Available" and not "RAM Free" so maybe that's why the author included inactive_count?

hmm, that's strange. They both show the same amount of RAM after a respring (I didn't have both installed at the same time)

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
hmm, that's strange. They both show the same amount of RAM after a respring (I didn't have both installed at the same time)
I have them both installed simultaneously and I also wrote my own program which shows all vm_statistics_data_t data.

StatusModifier always matches the data for free_count that I get from my program and SBPowerAlert always matches the data I get for free_count + inactive_count that I get from my program and StatusModifier and SBPowerAlert always show very different values, even after a respring or reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.