Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kashan123999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Mianwali, Pakistan
hello there,as I am completely new to smartphone arena (belong to a 3rd world country for sure :p) I am buying a used gevey sim iphone 4s (ios 6.1.3) from a person,but I don't know about gevey sim,and couldn't find appropriate links and lay-defintions of terms like "baseband" etc,is the gevey process safe? any chance of Bricking the phone? and also is there any way to permanently unlock a gevey? please help me,kindly provide me links And also "your" own experienced go at it,my heart is really beating faster :D cause it is my first major investment of my father's money (I am a teen actually)

P.S: I don't have money to buy Iphone 5/4s/4/5s NEW and their are no carrier phones in my country...please help

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
Gevey can't be unlocked, only the iPhone itself.
Gevey is cool, there's no bricking the phone, only problem is that you must know the version of Gevey you own and if it supports the latest iOS (that's the baseband thing you mentioned).

I am using a X-Sim (alternative of Gevey) and the version I have supports every iOS until now. Only problem is that on my version of it, iMessage and Facetime don't work. I don't want to spend money just to update the X-Sim. For any new versions of iOS... I have to wait to see if it will be supported

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You can pay for an IMEI unlock instead of a Gevey to have your iPhone unlocked basically permanent and the best possible way.

kashan123999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Mianwali, Pakistan
Gevey can't be unlocked, only the iPhone itself.
Gevey is cool, there's no bricking the phone, only problem is that you must know the version of Gevey you own and if it supports the latest iOS (that's the baseband thing you mentioned).

I am using a X-Sim (alternative of Gevey) and the version I have supports every iOS until now. Only problem is that on my version of it, iMessage and Facetime don't work. I don't want to spend money just to update the X-Sim. For any new versions of iOS... I have to wait to see if it will be supported

You can pay for an IMEI unlock instead of a Gevey to have your iPhone unlocked basically permanent and the best possible way.

thank you very much oh so it doesn't brick the phone,so should i ask the person about its baseband and gevey version?

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
Just find the version of the Gevey and check on the internet which iOS it supports

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.