Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:03 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2014: Air Conditioner Debuts as First Smart Appliance 'MFi Licensed' for iOS Compatibility

Chinese appliance manufacturer Haier today announced that it has become the first such company to be accepted into Apple's MFi licensing program to certify compatibility with iOS devices. Haier's Tianzun cabinet air conditioning unit is the first appliance to carry the MFi designation, with expansion to other Haier appliances coming in the future.
Quote:
Haier's Tianzun air conditioner is the first air conditioner and white good [major appliance] that is authorized by Apple's MFi program. Haier will use this technology in the other Haier products, such as water heaters, ovens, intelligent home accessories and the like. Users will be able to complete the setup simply by connecting to WiFi. The live demonstration showed that Haier's air conditioner could match the phone automatically and the user could set up parameters for the air conditioner directly without registration, setup password or any other complicated and time-consuming operations when connected to WiFi. And that brings consumers a simple, efficient experience of using smart appliances.
While smart appliances capable of being controlled through iOS devices are not new, a move by manufacturers to join Apple's MFi program may help give consumers confidence that the products meet Apple's standards for compatibility and functionality. The licensing program is already in wide use for such products as charging accessories, speaker docks, and more recently game controllers, but Haier's announcement today indicates that the program is poised for even greater adoption as the burgeoning market for connected home appliances continues to expand.

Article Link: CES 2014: Air Conditioner Debuts as First Smart Appliance 'MFi Licensed' for iOS Compatibility
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:06 AM   #2
japanime
macrumors 65816

Marlon Brando lives!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:09 AM   #3
franswa za
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
Marlon Brando lives!
my god! dirigible, blimp, secretary....... eat more donuts

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/61506334@N04/
franswa za is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:13 AM   #4
powers74
macrumors 68000

Internet of things

Awesome, 'till there is no internet.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:19 AM   #5
kemal
macrumors regular

No passwords?

THE HORROR......THE HORROR
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:27 AM   #6
crackbookpro
macrumors 65816

Things of this nature are geared more for an iWatch feature... Or more practial with an iWatch.

The iTV needs to come to your home(as Data Speeds increase across many countries, if not the globe). Then real need could be harnessed through an iWatch.

It will be like the TV remote in the 70's... First a cool "want"... Then a luxury... Then a desired "need".

After the Nest thermo & CO2 products link, so does all household appliances like this Haier co, outdoor/indoor lights, etc... And it is all harnessing the new capabilities. Perhaps opening your garage door can only happen with both an iPhone & iWatch.

Also, purchases may have just changed... The wallet is going bye byes, and maybe all you need is your iPhone and the new iWatch to make transactions across the globe. This would be the biggest change in the market that Apple could nonetheless spearhead with Touch ID deriving from aquiring Authentec 2 summers ago.

Other item is - can Qualcomm and/or other co's produce sole super-efficient GPS chips without the need for A-GPS?

The world may change again within 18months from Apple... Brick n' mortar stores will catch up quickly too.
crackbookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:31 AM   #7
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Haier's Tianzun air conditioner is the first air conditioner and white good that is authorized by Apple's MFi program.
What is a "white good"? Is that a trade name for appliances?
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:36 AM   #8
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers74 View Post
Awesome, 'till there is no internet.
Wifi doesn't need internet to work locally.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:36 AM   #9
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
Nevermind. Google answered my question. Yep, trade name for appliances.
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:40 AM   #10
crackbookpro
macrumors 65816

White goods and the iTV need to happen before the iWatch debuts.

Or iWatch is a dud...
crackbookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:44 AM   #11
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
Its the generic term for appliance like fridges, washing machines, cookers etc.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Small White Car
macrumors G3

I'm a huge fan of my WEMO plugs. So, obviously, you can do stuff like this already without this certification, but anything that makes these kind of things easier and more widespread is good news to me.
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:58 AM   #13
KdParker
macrumors 68020

So does this mean that we will either have to buy a i0S or Android/Windows appliances?

I like smart appliances, but we seem to be putting the cart before the horse.

Shouldn't we create standards for connectivity to 'smart appliances' so that other platforms can control/monitor our appliances?

Last edited by KdParker; Jan 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
KdParker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:05 AM   #14
goodvibes11
macrumors newbie

Not the first MFI Appliance

I know for a fact that this is not indeed the first home appliance that is certified by the MFI program.

The iPhone controlled TopBrewer coffee machine, which a friend of mine is working for, were the first in the world to introduce such a product. See here. TopBrewer.com
goodvibes11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:10 AM   #15
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

If the "MFi" designation is going to be this adaptable, then it needs a name that is more encompassing. For example "Made for Apple" or "Made for iOS" or "Made for Mac and iOS"
somethingelsefl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

I'm assuming these setups don't require a secondary app to function? I suppose that something in the lines of a miniature web server (in the same manner of routers/modems) would serve for easy compatibility... however if this requires a second app it will, like much of these technologies, sit in a folder as no more than a "gee whiz!" curiosity...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemal View Post
No passwords?

THE HORROR......THE HORROR
Imagine if this had been a 'Smart Internet-connected Digital Refrigerator' and you locked it with a password. Of course an internet-connected fridge NEEDS to be password-encrypted, just to make sure the NSA won't have an easy time having access to your leftover pizza and ice cream.

And then one day, you couldn't remember the password…. uh oh…
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:04 AM   #18
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
We'd pay extra for such a thing ....

A fridge I can remotely lock/unlock? It'd pay for itself in a matter of only weeks, keeping the kids from raiding it before we get home from work each day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Imagine if this had been a 'Smart Internet-connected Digital Refrigerator' and you locked it with a password. Of course an internet-connected fridge NEEDS to be password-encrypted, just to make sure the NSA won't have an easy time having access to your leftover pizza and ice cream.

And then one day, you couldn't remember the password…. uh oh…
kingtj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:28 AM   #19
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Cool!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:02 PM   #20
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
So does this mean that we will either have to buy a i0S or Android/Windows appliances?

I like smart appliances, but we seem to be putting the cart before the horse.

Shouldn't we create standards for connectivity to 'smart appliances' so that other platforms can control/monitor our appliances?
I think we're fine. Wifi is a standard, the appliance maker needs to write their own software on all platforms they wish to support.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:20 PM   #21
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I think we're fine. Wifi is a standard, the appliance maker needs to write their own software on all platforms they wish to support.
That is not a standard for controlling appliances that is just a standard for connecting to the internet and appliance manufacturers aren't in the business of writing software.

If there were a standard set of interfaces that could be added by any smart appliance maker, then it would be up to developers to create the controls. Regardless of the platform.

Last edited by KdParker; Jan 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:24 PM   #22
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackbookpro View Post
Other item is - can Qualcomm and/or other co's produce sole super-efficient GPS chips without the need for A-GPS?
Not really. GPS requires line-of-site. The limitation is on the satellite end, not the phone end.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:38 PM   #23
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
That is not a standard and appliance makers aren't in the business of writing software.

If there were a standard set of interfaces that could be added by any smart appliance maker, then it would be up to developers to create the controls. Regardless of the platform.
They can hire "developers". (and apparently did) If that's what they want to do. Just like any other new concept they may wish to apply to their products.

If you want to develop this interface, go for it. But I really doubt you can do this freelance and suddenly have Rheem, GE, Samsung, etc. beating down your door to use it.

Last edited by JAT; Jan 8, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:52 PM   #24
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
They can hire "developers". If that's what they want to do. Just like any other new concept they may wish to apply to their products.

If you want to develop this interface, go for it. But I really doubt you can do this freelance and suddenly have Rheem, GE, Samsung, etc. beating down your door to use it.

And wifi certainly is many standards. What are you talking about?
As I stated in my correction, WIFI is a standard for connecting to the internet, not a standard for controlling appliances.

Why wouldn't the manufacturers you mentioned not be on board with this kind of standard? With a standard in place, manufacturers wouldn't have to worry about tying thier products to one specific technology and/or a companies OS.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 PM   #25
BrentD
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes11 View Post
I know for a fact that this is not indeed the first home appliance that is certified by the MFI program.

The iPhone controlled TopBrewer coffee machine, which a friend of mine is working for, were the first in the world to introduce such a product. See here. TopBrewer.com
The announcement never said such a thing. A coffee maker is not a "major appliance". It said:
Haier's Tianzun air conditioner is the first air conditioner and white good [major appliance] that is authorized by Apple's MFi program.
BrentD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion