Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,
I currently have a 13 inch Macbook with a 1th Internal HDD.
I have a music library on iTunes with Alac files and various bitrate MP3's that is currently 600 GB and growing.

I use my macbook to listen to music, so having the library accessible at all times is a big plus, since I have all my smart playlists and such.

I am thinking of upgrading my computer. My current C2D CPU is starting to show it's age.
Since I carry my computer to the office almost everyday, a lighter computer with a smaller footprint is desirable.

As such, I am considering a macbook air. 11 or 13, but I am leaning on the 11 option.

The let down is storage. Even the maxed out air only has 512gb of storage.
So, I would like to know from you. If you have an Air as your only computer, what solutions do you use to store, organize and play media?

Please give your input.

Thank you.
Cheers!

thebrobrah

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
64 gb sd card...

of that 1 tb of music...odds are you only hear 5% of it all over a relatively longer period of time...

flash prices being what they are, you have no choice in the matter either :)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have a 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA and love it. My iTunes library is only about 125gb, however it is growing. But I still have over 250gb free on the SSD, so I should be fine.

Do you really need 600gb of iTunes everywhere you go? There's another thread here about putting a 768gb SSD in a MBA. Not very practical at this time, but maybe Apple will offer it as an option next year? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1693232/

I don't see how the suggestion to use a 128gb SSD and 64gb card addresses the OP's concern. I don't think he is concerned about the cost of the SSD, just the capacity. Personally, I would get the 512gb SSD and learn to live with "only" 350 to 400gb of iTunes. The rest could be on an external drive. But that's just me. ;)

thebrobrah

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
i only suggested an sd card because they are the only alternative, keeping portability in mind...

the external hd is certainly not

larger capacity sd cards are coming soonish ...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My point was that 64gb is a far cry from 600gb, and I don't think anything near that size is coming. ;) Also, we're talking about 80MB/s transfer from a card vs 700MB/s from the SSD ...

thebrobrah

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
fair enough..but 768gb ssd for over 1K compared to the platter 1tb drive that cost ~40 is a big difference...

sigamore

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
Israel
You can move a portion of you stuff (say the less frequent listen tracks) to Google Music. Assume you have an internet connection in most of the places so that's basically available with a click of a button.
I myself just migrated some 10000 tracks to Google music (supports up to 20000 tracks free of charge) which allowed me to free huge space ... of course I still keep a copy on my NAS but now with their new iOS client this options becomes even more handy !

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
what's your budget?
What kind of space are you talking about?

I recently made myself a Synology NAS device.

4 bay box, 4 2-tb drives, ups. total cost ~$1200

i am playing around with volume sizes but right now i've got it in RAID 10 which gives me 4tb usable space (plust 4tb redundancy).

at work i use RAID 5 which would give me an extra 2tb of space but so far I like the improved speeds of the RAID 1+0.

Since i have it hardwired into my network the speeds are amazing. I can watch highdef movies right off of it over wifi so you should have 0 trouble streaming your music.

plus every device in the house has access to it - even remotely.

Plus, the fear of losing my array made me spend the money on the UPS (which of course i should have done anyway) but now if the power goes out we still have a few hours of internet which is nice... especially with the frozen tundra we call America these past few days causing trees to knock out power lines all over the place.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Itunes home sharing might also be useful. Leave your current MacBook set up as a file server, and use home sharing to copy a smaller subset of your library to the Air.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you are not the boss, I'd be thinking spending that much time on my music at work would get me into trouble soon.

If you are the boss, I'd investigate some sort of synching (via the Internet) between your home's library and your work's library, then your library can be as big as they need be wo being constrained by a laptop.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,
Thank you all for your sugestions.
I would like to avoid the hassle of running multiple libraries, but if I have to, can I do it? Have more than one itunes library on the same computer?

Let's say this.
I have an external HDD with all my music. I create an iTunes library where it uses the external HDD as the media location.
Then, I copy some albuns to the MBA internal SSD. Can I create a total different media library on Itunes?
And when I rip a new cd, I copy it and tag it on the external HDD library.
Than, if I want to, copy it to the other librabry?

Also, how does iTunes Homesharing work? The server has one iTunes Library with all the music. Then, I copy albuns to the MBA, and the iTunes on the MBA will have a library with only the local tracks?

Cheers and thanks!

chalmers4three

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Hello,
Thank you all for your sugestions.
I would like to avoid the hassle of running multiple libraries, but if I have to, can I do it? Have more than one itunes library on the same computer?

Let's say this.
I have an external HDD with all my music. I create an iTunes library where it uses the external HDD as the media location.
Then, I copy some albuns to the MBA internal SSD. Can I create a total different media library on Itunes?
And when I rip a new cd, I copy it and tag it on the external HDD library.
Than, if I want to, copy it to the other librabry?

Also, how does iTunes Homesharing work? The server has one iTunes Library with all the music. Then, I copy albuns to the MBA, and the iTunes on the MBA will have a library with only the local tracks?

Cheers and thanks!

I think the program Tunespan sounds like it could help you out for having multiple itunes libraries. I have used it a little bit but by no means am I a power user so maybe someone else can chime in and help you out.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010

I think I will wait a couple of months for the price to drop... :D

----------

I think the program Tunespan sounds like it could help you out for having multiple itunes libraries. I have used it a little bit but by no means am I a power user so maybe someone else can chime in and help you out.

This looks like a good solution. I am looking into it, but it says you can keep a single library with files on the internal HDD and external.

Cheers!

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Do you have a wireless external HDD? How does that work out?

Cheers!

No, it's not wireless. It's small and light enough to fit in a small pocket on my backpack. When I want to update my library I just pull it out and plug it in through the USB.

BTW, I also have a very large library, but not as large as yours, and it would fit entirely on my 512GB MacAir. It would leave very little room though. I decided to just use the portable hard drive. They're very affordable these days.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Bought a WD elements 2tb USB 3.0 2.5inch HDD.
I am going to move my library to the drive and see how it works on a day to day basis. :)

Cheers!

gibkibonzo

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
My point was that 64gb is a far cry from 600gb, and I don't think anything near that size is coming. ;) Also, we're talking about 80MB/s transfer from a card vs 700MB/s from the SSD ...

Why would anyone need such read speed for playing music files?

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Bought a WD elements 2tb USB 3.0 2.5inch HDD.
I am going to move my library to the drive and see how it works on a day to day basis. :)

Cheers!

The USB 3.0 is extremely fast BTW. I was able to transfer 320GB is about five hours IIRC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.