Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Huntn
macrumors 604

Enjoy Your Life While You're Young! :)

Inspirational Message of the Day: Better yet appreciate your life while you are young! If you are younger than 20, you may not realize this time in a very specific way (being young) could be the best years of your life, full of potential and promise. In my senior year of high school, with college on the horizon, it dawned on me. Of course not always, some kid's lives are hell. And not to imply it's the only good time of your lives, but regardless if you take it for granted or not, one day you'll look in the mirror and wonder where did that young face go and suddenly realize your closer to the end than the beginning. Just a shame if it was not appreciated when the time was ripe.

As someone said, "youth is wasted on the wrong people!"

(Acknowledged, these actors are older than 20 )
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601

I'd much rather be middle aged than young. Yes I can't party as hard and often as I used to, but I can get a cab home afterwards and not have to worry about the expense.
Also my slightly thinning, slightly grey hair doesn't bother me. My wife is beautiful and who cares what anybody else thinks what I look like.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 01:27 PM   #3
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

I agree. Enjoy life while you feel young. For some people, perhaps that ends at high school graduation-- if you say so. (A lot of people didn't particularly enjoy high school anyway. I wouldn't worry.) For others, age 60 or so. (Wasn't that what it says somewhere in Plato?). I know a couple of people who are still going strong at 90.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 01:56 PM   #4
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
I'd much rather be middle aged than young. Yes I can't party as hard and often as I used to, but I can get a cab home afterwards and not have to worry about the expense.
Also my slightly thinning, slightly grey hair doesn't bother me. My wife is beautiful and who cares what anybody else thinks what I look like.
I felt the same way about being middle aged....then came 2 children. They're sucking the life out of me!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

You should always try to make best of all the periods in your life. As I got older (not wiser I might add) I enjoy and cherish different things than when I was a youth. But some aspect have stayed constant throughout my life.

I do think the the present generation is far more fixated on money than back in the 1960s, which turns many young people into worker drones with no happiness.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 02:16 PM   #6
G51989
macrumors 68020

I am nearly 30 these days, and the only thing I miss about my college day's was getting totally hammered at Frat parties at FSU, scoring with a different girl every other week, and being able to get up at 9am, with no hangover, and feel great at work.

Now, I can't party that hard anymore, hangovers are awful.
G51989 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 02:31 PM   #7
dec.
macrumors 6502a

I think it's important to enjoy it while you're young but also be completely aware of the effects that decisions will have on the rest of your life.

I'm 40 now and really do enjoy it, I've kept the majority of my interests that I had as a teen going - electric guitars, beer, metal / industrial concerts, video games, (horror) movies... but also have developed some slightly more mature interests like interior design, food and wine (and gin and vodka). The hangovers don't seem any worse to me (once I realized that tequila and I never will become good friends ).

I could see the impact and change that kids would cause and in a way I'm glad that I grew up assuming that I'd never have kids. I didn't even think I'd get married back then, but thanks to the law changes it happened almost 8 years ago.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
I felt the same way about being middle aged....then came 2 children. They're sucking the life out of me!
My daughter is 12 and the wonders of science mean I won't be having anymore. I wouldn't be without her though.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 02:40 PM   #9
giantfan1224
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
I feel the same way sometimes. I have 4!! But I wouldn't trade it for anything. I find the more I engage with my kids, to make it more about them and not me, the more fulfilled I feel. And the less I long for being able to do things I used to be able to without children. Maybe that's just me...
giantfan1224 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:11 PM   #10
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Enjoy the age you are.

The only way to be happy is to love. Unless you love, your life will flash by.
miloblithe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 05:18 PM   #11
Huntn
macrumors 604

What I witnessed when I was raising our son (he is now 27), not completely verified, just suspected, that his generation where we lived and experienced it, seemed to be very ho-humm about how special life is. They are all wrapped up in status, and material possession, an entitled attitude that somehow, a middle class lifestyle would magically continue for them. I'm sure there are exceptions, and it's not fair to lump a group all in the same bucket. I'm sure I'm one of the lucky ones who had a great time in high school. Not only was it special, but I recognized it as such. That is what I'm saying. I think some people tend to get so wrapped up in everyday living, they just take it for granted and get hung up on their routine, and not the setting.

As far as making the best of today I completely agree. You can not dwell on the downside of aging, nor can you lament the lost, good old young days. The best you can do is recognize how special that period of your life was, that is if you had a normal, healthy life. (Gee, I seem to be throwing in lots of disqualifiers. ). And be amazed how fast your life progresses. I just can't believe it, but it's all part of the deal.

Last edited by Huntn; Jan 8, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 05:41 PM   #12
Grey Beard
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
Drink on, that I would be drunk with life, drunk with the trampled vintage of my youth.

KGB

With thanks to Oscar Wilde.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 05:55 PM   #13
MyMac1976
Banned

I'm a bicentennial baby

I don't don't want to be the guy I was when I was young, I don't want to always fight anymore. I don't want to chase girls any more, I don't want to be the toughest guy in the room. I don't want to kick my own a$$ every time I mix my max by a few pounds, or catch a kick or punch from a sparing partner.

I want to be my daughters big poppa, and my wife's husband. I want to make sure the new generation of tough guys knows that the can be tough and we'll take care of he rest.
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 05:59 PM   #14
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

At my age, waking up every morning is pretty much a thrill.

Getting out of bed...not so much!

Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:06 PM   #15
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

No matter what my biological age is at any given moment in my life, I continue to enjoy life as if I was still young. How's that sound?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:54 AM   #16
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I'm waaay old (>50), but I'm just a big kid ... with arthritis. In any case, one of the dangers of the 'live life to fullest in the moment' mentality is that some take it to extremes and expect that the world exists to entertain them. I never really believed that, and I even was rejected from one university because I wasn't a party animal.

To me, the value of my life depends on how useful I am....
Old Jan 9, 2014, 07:23 AM   #17
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
What I witnessed when I was raising our son (he is now 27), not completely verified, just suspected, that his generation where we lived and experienced it, seemed to be very ho-humm about how special life is. They are all wrapped up in status, and material possession, an entitled attitude that somehow, a middle class lifestyle would magically continue for them. I'm sure there are exceptions, and it's not fair to lump a group all in the same bucket. I'm sure I'm one of the lucky ones who had a great time in high school. Not only was it special, but I recognized it as such. That is what I'm saying. I think some people tend to get so wrapped up in everyday living, they just take it for granted and get hung up on their routine, and not the setting.

As far as making the best of today I completely agree. You can not dwell on the downside of aging, nor can you lament the lost, good old young days. The best you can do is recognize how special that period of your life was, that is if you had a normal, healthy life. (Gee, I seem to be throwing in lots of disqualifiers. ). And be amazed how fast your life progresses. I just can't believe it, but it's all part of the deal.
If they are hohumm about how special life is its only because the previous generation raised them in a material matters world. You can't expect an entire generation raised in a marketing bonanza with a bigger is better mentality to completely reject it.

The bigger problem is that we taught an entire generation if they worked hard and went through college they are guaranteed a good life, that might have been true in the past, but noe days you might find yourself at McDonalds with your high school buddies.
Zombie Acorn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 08:46 AM   #18
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
If they are hohumm about how special life is its only because the previous generation raised them in a material matters world. You can't expect an entire generation raised in a marketing bonanza with a bigger is better mentality to completely reject it.

The bigger problem is that we taught an entire generation if they worked hard and went through college they are guaranteed a good life, that might have been true in the past, but noe days you might find yourself at McDonalds with your high school buddies.
Valid points. Thank you.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 08:50 AM   #19
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

I watched a TED talk last night that goes along with this thread well, its called "Sell your crap. Pay off your debt. Do what you love." Its about 20 minutes.

I thought I would share it as it was pretty inspirational:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XRPbFIN4lk
Old Jan 9, 2014, 01:03 PM   #20
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
I watched a TED talk last night that goes along with this thread well, its called "Sell your crap. Pay off your debt. Do what you love." Its about 20 minutes.

I thought I would share it as it was pretty inspirational:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XRPbFIN4lk
I need to sell some crap...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 01:36 PM   #21
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

I'm still in my 20s later half that is lol, stuck with a Bachelors degree, life threw a few curve balls lately so that put a few plans on hold one of them is to prepare to go into graduate school, I'd love to continue on, travel, and enjoy life... but that requires money!! I feel like an old soul already ... where did the last 20 somthing years go?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 06:41 PM   #22
samiwas
macrumors 65816

The secret is to keep trying to live that life. 39 now, and while things can get stretched thin here and there, I have had (well, until we had a child which put a dampener on it) a pretty darn easy life. Before kids, we made a good amount of money, only worked about half the year, and spent the rest never worrying about a thing.

Outside of the mortgage, and now a car payment which is hopefully done this year, we're debt-free and I have a pretty good amount saved up, mostly in investments.

But, I also never "grew up". I work in the entertainment industry..many of us don't "grow up". If I could go back to any time in my life, I would probably just live from the winter of '03 until the winter of '04, when I was 28-29. The single best times of my life. I do wish I could go back to college with the personality I have nowI am a completely different person. Man, the fun would be epic.

I still have that mid-20s guy inside me, but my wife puts the halt on that pretty much. I am still a fully-responsible individual, but that doesn't mean I still can't party with the best of them.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 06:44 PM   #23
iJohnHenry
Banned

I hope your investments outperform your debt service on your mortgage.

Otherwise this is not a prudent choice.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 09:56 AM   #24
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Youth is wasted on the young.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:32 AM   #25
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
I hope your investments outperform your debt service on your mortgage.

Otherwise this is not a prudent choice.
Was this in response to me? If so, what choice are you talking about?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Tags
wonderful, young, youth