Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:33 PM   #1
California
macrumors 68040

Skype for iBooks -- what do I need? Bluetooth stuff?

Anyone out there talk to friends or family over Skype on their iBooks or PBs (or on any Mac for that matter)?

Friend of mine's going to London for six months with a 1.2ghz 12" ibook.

I've got 1.42ghz iBook and 1.5ghz 12" PB. Can I just use the built in mic on the ibook or PB to talk via Skype to someone? Or do I need a bluetooth headset or phone or something? I don't get it really. Would there be distortion on the iBooks or Pbook -- using the builtin speakers and mic?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I've never even plugged in bluetooth devices to my macs. But I do also have bluetooth on my Sony Ericcson cell -- which seems like another discussion altogether...
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:47 PM   #2
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by California
Anyone out there talk to friends or family over Skype on their iBooks or PBs (or on any Mac for that matter)?

Friend of mine's going to London for six months with a 1.2ghz 12" ibook.

I've got 1.42ghz iBook and 1.5ghz 12" PB. Can I just use the built in mic on the ibook or PB to talk via Skype to someone? Or do I need a bluetooth headset or phone or something? I don't get it really. Would there be distortion on the iBooks or Pbook -- using the builtin speakers and mic?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I've never even plugged in bluetooth devices to my macs. But I do also have bluetooth on my Sony Ericcson cell -- which seems like another discussion altogether...
I use Skype on my iBook to chat with my Father when he's off flying and it works a treat. The sound is very clear (I'm on dial up and apart from a slight delay he sounds like he's sitting next to me). I used the built in mic but I'd recommend a head set as the built in mic will pick up the voice of the person you're chatting to and relay it back to them in an echo.

I just bought a Logitech USB headset that says it works with Macs so I'll have to wait till my sister brings it home later tonight to try it out.

It's really cool and very easy to use.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 01:40 PM   #3
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles
I use Skype on my iBook to chat with my Father when he's off flying and it works a treat. The sound is very clear (I'm on dial up and apart from a slight delay he sounds like he's sitting next to me). I used the built in mic but I'd recommend a head set as the built in mic will pick up the voice of the person you're chatting to and relay it back to them in an echo.

I just bought a Logitech USB headset that says it works with Macs so I'll have to wait till my sister brings it home later tonight to try it out.

It's really cool and very easy to use.

Thanks and H. New Year Chundles. Stay cool down there. (If its any consolation, it was like 85 degress here in LA last week.)

I'm going to try just the iBook and regular headphones first, then dive into the strange world of USB or BTooth headsets if necessary. All defeats the purpose if it is over fifty bucks, though.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:03 PM   #4
yoak
macrumors 65816

Hi, I use the built in mic on my ibook (see sig) and it works fine. I have talked to people who are on dial-up in France without problems. (I have broadband).
So headset its not neccesary, but would probably be more comfortable.
Im still amazed how well it works and sounds.
Good luck
www.sombrafilm.com
yoak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:11 PM   #5
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
You can use the built in Mic, actually it's a little too good. It picks up people talking that I don't want it to.

Anyway, you need to wear head phones, or else your buddy will hear an echo (their voice out of your speakers and then back into your mic). Headphones on both ends prevents this and makes for a nicer and cleaner conversation.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:14 PM   #6
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

I would recommend a Logitech USB headset.
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:15 PM   #7
Gee
macrumors 65816

The SkypeOut service that lets you call landlines (or mobiles) from your Mac is also really cool and useful, and pretty cheap - especially for international calls!
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:49 PM   #8
javiercr
macrumors 6502

I use Skype all the time with my 12" PB using the built in mic, it works very well and when I use SkypeOut people don't tend to notice that i am not using a normal phone.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:50 PM   #9
redeye be
macrumors 65816

The only experience with skype and a built in mic was with my dad's Powerbook (not sure what model out of the top of my hat, aluminium with the white band around).

It wasn't very cool...
I had to put my face next to the left speaker (where the mic is) just so they would hear me on the other end. Never again. This could be better in newer models though.

I myself have been using an iMic and a regular headset with my mini (comes down to the same thing as a USB headset) and it works great.

So: get a (USB - don't think the iBook has an audio-in ) headset for easy, handsfree communication without feedback issues.

Ever though about folding?
what | how | widget | team stats
redeye be is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 04:27 PM   #10
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye be
The only experience with skype and a built in mic was with my dad's Powerbook (not sure what model out of the top of my hat, aluminium with the white band around).

It wasn't very cool...
I had to put my face next to the left speaker (where the mic is) just so they would hear me on the other end. Never again. This could be better in newer models though.

I myself have been using an iMic and a regular headset with my mini (comes down to the same thing as a USB headset) and it works great.

So: get a (USB - don't think the iBook has an audio-in ) headset for easy, handsfree communication without feedback issues.

hey, yeah, I HAVE an iMic I've never used, plus a lapel mic to go with it. Very cool. I'll keep the thread posted. Thanks for the tips -- Skype sounds very interesting.

(Your dad's powerbook sounds like a Titanium -- white band around the topcase of carbon fiber. From what I recall, the Tibook mic was nestled inside right next to a speaker. Weird design.)
Old Dec 28, 2005, 05:11 PM   #11
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
Since you guys both have Macs, you could use iChat too, or are you set on skype? I don't see much difference in quality, myself, however skype always connected and iChat often has errors.

Can't wait for the next version of skype to come out for Mac (current Windows version has video chat!!!).
Old Dec 28, 2005, 05:33 PM   #12
mpw

I very rarely use Skype 'cause nobody I know uses it, but when I do I use the same handsfree headset I use with my SE T630 when driving. Like others have said if you use the iBook speakers the other party'll get an annoying echo.
mpw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs