Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamwilliamcwl

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Does anyone encounter any electric shock from your macbook? I got shocked everytime touching/unplugging my magsafe power adapter and today I got a minor shocked when I place my hand on the unibody. And also when I try rub my macbook, sometime it has some weird feelings I don't know how to explain what feeling it is. Is this normal?

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
No, this is not normal. Bring it to a genius or return it if still possible.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Static electricity is just build up of electronics charges. This occurs naturally in everything in the environment. However, a static shock can have the potential of killing an electronic device. If this is your problem, then I suggest grounding yourself or start looking for ways to avoid "charging" yourself.

Main power shock means you get electrically shocked when touching the adapter or anything power related of your Mac. If this happens, then you have a faulty Mac.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
what do you mean by mains power or static? my english is not good so sorry

If you are getting a dangerous power voltage then you should carefully unplug the power adapter and not use it again until it is checked or replaced, or the wiring fault in the property corrected.

Static builds up in many areas, in this case it is likely building up on YOU and discharging to earth via your mac, in this case the issue is not likely to be a fault on your Mac.

If in doubt have the Mac electrically checked.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Hi,

Try this: your MacBook should have come with a 3-prong plug extension cord for the charger (images attached). Use that. That extension cord has a ground cable in it so it should negate any static shock.

Regards
Raptor

Attachments

• -font-b-Extension-b-font-Power-Wall-font-b-Cord-b-font-for-Apple-font.jpg
    -font-b-Extension-b-font-Power-Wall-font-b-Cord-b-font-for-Apple-font.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 270
  • extension cord.jpeg
    extension cord.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 256

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Hi,

Try this: your MacBook should have come with a 3-prong plug extension cord for the charger (images attached). Use that. That extension cord has a ground cable in it so it should negate any static shock.

Regards
Raptor

Maybe - but if the static build-up is on HIM the earthed cable just facilitates the discharge to earth :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.