Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Just wondering if it would make sense to have a dedicated forum for the nMP as it is a completely new and redesigned platform (hardware wise) to the combined previous 1,1 to 5,1 generations. Only for clarity sake really.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Personally, I think that's a bad idea. It's unnecessary and pointless. It's still a Mac Pro, despite the changes.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Personally, I think that's a bad idea. It's unnecessary and pointless. It's still a Mac Pro, despite the changes.

And you are basing that on what? Looking at your recent posts you don't even go in the Mac Pro forum, do you even have one? so not a very credible response if I am being honest :)

My reason for asking is because comparing the new Mac Pro to the old one is like comparing an iMac to a Macbook Pro. They may have the same name but it pretty much ends there. The new Mac Pro has different design, No Pci cards, No Nvidia cards, different drivers, different bootcamp requirements, different tweaks and these things are not backwards compatible to the old mac pro.

Having it all in one forum under "Mac Pro" is, in my opinion messy and can lead to misinformation for people that come to look for advice.

Can you see my point?

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
Tried to get this rolling numerous times.

Just wondering if it would make sense to have a dedicated forum for the nMP as it is a completely new and redesigned platform (hardware wise) to the combined previous 1,1 to 5,1 generations. Only for clarity sake really.

This post was still on page 1 of the MP forum today:

"Hope for official Blu-Ray option in new Mac Pro?" (Mar. 22, 2013).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's still a Mac Pro and is encompassed properly in the existing forum. We do not like adding extra forums for every product type because it adds excessive bloat and complexity to the site. With over 70 different sub-forums, we have enough.

Designations of nMP and cMP should be plenty to distinguish them apart and plenty of folks are already doing that. If there is enough interest, I can take to the back room the idea of adding prefixes for the the Mac Pro forum, such as what I just described.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A similar request was made when the Retina MBP was released in 2012. Since we're dealing the discussions are dealing with a redesigned Mac Pro it fits very nicely in the current forum structure. We generally don't create sub forums when apple updates an existing product like the Mac Pro

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And you are basing that on what? Looking at your recent posts you don't even go in the Mac Pro forum, do you even have one? so not a very credible response if I am being honest :)
A person doesn't need to currently own a specific Mac model or frequent a certain subforum to have a valid opinion on how the forum should be organized. One opinion is just as valid as another.

As there are countless discussions about comparisons between the cMP and the nMP, it would only add to confusion and possible double posting if those forums were split. There isn't a new subforum for the retina MBPs, as they are still MBPs. The new Mac Pro is just a newer version of the Mac Pro model. Yes, it's been redesigned, but it still targets the same user base.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I think this be handled by adding "cMP" and "nMP" (for example) as prefix options when posting a new thread in the Mac Pro forum. Thinking ahead, it might be better to find something other than "nMP" so when apple changes the design in a few years we don't wind up with "nnMP" for that one.

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I think its a good idea. In many car forums the forum is broken down by generations e.g. 1G, 2G, 3G Porsche Boxter, with a general Boxter area as the main forum. Keeps things tidy.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I think this be handled by adding "cMP" and "nMP" (for example) as prefix options when posting a new thread in the Mac Pro forum. Thinking ahead, it might be better to find something other than "nMP" so when apple changes the design in a few years we don't wind up with "nnMP" for that one.

What does the "c" in "cMP" stand for? I read it as "cylindrical", but the only thing I could think of for "n" is "new", so that didn't work.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
oMP is used too (Old Mac Pro) and now we have 6,1, nMP, 2013 Mac Pro and some people just say Mac Pro without differentiating.

From a management point of view for the mods, fair enough.

Anim

----------

I think its a good idea. In many car forums the forum is broken down by generations e.g. 1G, 2G, 3G Porsche Boxter, with a general Boxter area as the main forum. Keeps things tidy.

Don't mention the Box! :D I miss my 2004 Boxster everyday. Sold it for a 5 month Australia trip at the beginning of 2013.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I don't need to have a MP to understand the concepts of organization and readability. I feel your comment was condescending and uncalled for.
If apple hadn't updated the design, graphics cards, make other changes to accommodate the redesign etc., I'd be highly disappointed. The changes, however, doesn't mean it necessitates a new forum. Your comparison of the differences is inaccurate, IMO. The update continues and updates the MP line, but doesn't fundamentally change it to make it a new computer line.
I see your point about the messiness, but there comes a point your OCD self has to deal with the messiness that comes from having to deal with other people. If you want neat and tidy, you'll have to live in a bubble. :)
Other than the issue of messiness, I don't see your point. Not that it matters, since the moderators have decided.

My reason for asking is because comparing the new Mac Pro to the old one is like comparing an iMac to a Macbook Pro. They may have the same name but it pretty much ends there. The new Mac Pro has different design, No Pci cards, No Nvidia cards, different drivers, different bootcamp requirements, different tweaks and these things are not backwards compatible to the old mac pro.

Having it all in one forum under "Mac Pro" is, in my opinion messy and can lead to misinformation for people that come to look for advice.

Can you see my point?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I don't need to have a MP to understand the concepts of organization and readability. I feel your comment was condescending and uncalled for.
If apple hadn't updated the design, graphics cards, make other changes to accommodate the redesign etc., I'd be highly disappointed. The changes, however, doesn't mean it necessitates a new forum. Your comparison of the differences is inaccurate, IMO. The update continues and updates the MP line, but doesn't fundamentally change it to make it a new computer line.
I see your point about the messiness, but there comes a point your OCD self has to deal with the messiness that comes from having to deal with other people. If you want neat and tidy, you'll have to live in a bubble. :)
Other than the issue of messiness, I don't see your point. Not that it matters, since the moderators have decided.

I have zero issue with not adding a new forum. I also have zero issues with adding a forum. It is up to the moderators and powers that be.

However, anyone who considers the old MP and the new Mac (mini) Pro to be of the same design needs to rethink their position. There is zero in common between the two based on internal designs. The "nMP" is an entirely different architecture and design. If the justification is simply the name well... one has to wonder.

Candidly, I would say that the Mac Pro is dead. What we have is a successor akin to what the Mac Pro did to a previous generation of Macs. Just an opinion.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The way that I see it is that in three years time, no one will be posting many threads about the original Mac Pro line, and the same thing with the original MacBook Pros. And if there are new posts, then it will be very minimal and mostly software related.

Take example of the PowerPC area. Less talk about G3s, more about G4s and G5 machines. But sometimes there is G3 talk, but we don't have a problem going through it all.

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
This forum should be split up to old MP and new MP

The systems are vastly different and very little relates to one another. I'd like to have separate forums. Anyone else?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I'm against this. I want to read about both the oMP and the nMP. Leave things as they are Please.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.