Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Had to get a refund on the air because of the screen.

Got a refurb ipad 4 whose screen i was happy with and getting ready to enjoy.

Now its got a home button problem....button suddenly gets unresponsive for no reason at all. Then after a while it becomes ok, then reverts to not working.

I am sick of all the hard resets, restores and other so called fixes....nothing works.

This is unusual behaviour for a device that has been conditioned to new and not even 14 days old.

I've never had such bad luck with my 5 other apple devices...getting sick of ordering replacements and praying for a good unit.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Go with an iPad2 refurb or wait for the Nexus 10.2. I returned my Ultimate Crashing Machine, waiting for the N10.2.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I'd try another iPad 4. The screen will likely be good and the home button problem on your current one is probably just bad luck. If you have been using a retina screen it may be hard to go back to the iPad 2.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'd simply do whatever I thought I needed to do and just get on with life.

But that's just me.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Now its got a home button problem....button suddenly gets unresponsive for no reason at all. Then after a while it becomes ok, then reverts to not working.

I am sick of all the hard resets, restores and other so called fixes....nothing works.

This is unusual behaviour for a device that has been conditioned to new and not even 14 days old.

I've never had such bad luck with my 5 other apple devices...getting sick of ordering replacements and praying for a good unit.

Thats the problem with refurbs, if the problem is hit and miss they won't pick it up so you are buying someone else's reason for returning.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Wait for 7.1 and buy an air again... that will make it a damn near perfect tablet from what I read.

I am SOOOO glad I don't have the videophile eyes that you guys do. I have had 3 air's, and they've all had great screens. At least, IMO.

That being said, if I could see an issue, I would certainly exchange it until I got a good one.

Last edited:

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
Go with an iPad2 refurb or wait for the Nexus 10.2. I returned my Ultimate Crashing Machine, waiting for the N10.2.

It is HILARIOUS that you're recommending the Nexus 10 (2nd gen) since you want to avoid crashing, since Nexus 10 crashing is what made me switch to iOS in the first place.

The Nexus 10, before Android 4.3, had an inherent memory leak in the UI that caused the system to run out of ram and crash after just a few hours of use. My first one had the leak, and the 6 replacements I got all had the leak. Just google "Nexus 10 surfaceflinger" or something. There was a 100+ page thread on google forums dealing with it.

I just found that ironic is all.

Last edited:

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
To all the stuff that's going wrong now apps are crashing repeatedly. This was with iOS 6.1.3. And it goes to home screen and search screen automatically like some aluminum poltergeist.

Wonder if I should get a kindle fire. But then I'd have to give up my apps. Sheeeeeeeit!

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

Go get another air. I love my air no screen problems.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013

I occasionally get this problem with my Air. Nothing wrong with the hardware. IOS7.0.4 is still flaky unfortunately and sometimes a reboot is required. Hopefully the next iteration will solve many of these problems.
I should point out that in my case it is not just the home button that freezes but the whole thing, usually followed by a spontaneous reboot.

Last edited:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I occasionally get this problem with my Air. Nothing wrong with the hardware. IOS7.0.4 is still flaky unfortunately and sometimes a reboot is required. Hopefully the next iteration will solve many of these problems.
I should point out that in my case it is not just the home button that freezes but the whole thing, usually followed by a spontaneous reboot.

OP is running OS 6.1.3 so I don't think this will help. I would return/exchange the device and try again with an Air or iPad 4 refurb. I love my rMini, but they have potential issues as well and a much smaller screen.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I returned the Air before the extended period expired and I'm living with the first Mini with cellular. No large iPad for me.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
To all the stuff that's going wrong now apps are crashing repeatedly. This was with iOS 6.1.3. And it goes to home screen and search screen automatically like some aluminum poltergeist.

Wonder if I should get a kindle fire. But then I'd have to give up my apps. Sheeeeeeeit!

I would try another iPad 4 before making a big mistake like a Kindle.

I did similar to you and returned my Air for an iPad 4. I was lucky enough to get a 4 that so far seems perfect.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
It is HILARIOUS that you're recommending the Nexus 10 (2nd gen) since you want to avoid crashing, since Nexus 10 crashing is what made me switch to iOS in the first place.

The Nexus 10, before Android 4.3, had an inherent memory leak in the UI that caused the system to run out of ram and crash after just a few hours of use. My first one had the leak, and the 6 replacements I got all had the link. Just google "Nexus 10 surfaceflinger" or something. There was a 100+ page thread on google forums dealing with it.

I just found that ironic is all.

Not so fast my friend. I tried a Nexus7.2/Kitkat over the holidays, June2013 build, and it had a system crash every 2.5 days. I returned it hoping that the N10.2 will have worked that issue out by the time it is released. Even so, I found a crash every 2.5 days with the Nexus7.2 much more palatable that the Air crashing/reloading multiple times a day. An iOS device that can't even load Apple's website without crashing is downright embarrassing!

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Thats the problem with refurbs, if the problem is hit and miss they won't pick it up so you are buying someone else's reason for returning.

So true. The engineer who refurbs it may not be as OCD as the original owner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.