Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Hi everyone,

I've noticed this really strange thing in my mail when accessing it at icloud.com, but perhaps not surprising. It seems that Apple is applying a "Travel" label to emails that include either tickets (train) or boarding passes (air travel). While this doesn't exactly surprise me, I was wondering if anyone else is noticing similar behavior?

It looks like the system is smart enough to only mark messages that actually include a ticket or boarding pass on it (something you need to show someone), and doesn't mark booking confirmations or even check-in confirmations (without boarding passes).

Perhaps this will eventually lead to the attachment in these emails being automatically downloaded to Passbook, which I think could be very cool.

Anyone else notice this behavior? And if so, do you think it's Apple preparing for something to come?

Pietro

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Can you post a screen shot of what you are talking about?

The green "Travel" label. It only appears on emails related to travelling and these emails are in my inbox. I do have a travel folder but these emails were never placed in that folder and yet they have this marking. Furthermore, other emails that are placed in other folders don't have any similar marking on them, which leads me to believe this is something not related to the location of emails in folders.

YUhP5-2ssVsYeVk8xpwpXZ1MmOxOzW0keeusRmbIsQI

Edit: This only happens shows up at iCloud.com, not on iOS Mail or OS X Mail.

Last edited:

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'd imagine it has more to do with the sender of the email than the content.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
No idea why that would be showing up for you. Definitely not seeing anything similar in my travel related email. However, scanning the email is really nothing new. It's how they apply spam filters and things of the like.

Agree that it would be pretty cool down the road if you could have it automatically plug that type of stuff into Passbook.

LoveMyPens

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've noticed this really strange thing in my mail when accessing it at icloud.com, but perhaps not surprising. It seems that Apple is applying a "Travel" label to emails that include either tickets (train) or boarding passes (air travel). While this doesn't exactly surprise me, I was wondering if anyone else is noticing similar behavior?

It looks like the system is smart enough to only mark messages that actually include a ticket or boarding pass on it (something you need to show someone), and doesn't mark booking confirmations or even check-in confirmations (without boarding passes).

Perhaps this will eventually lead to the attachment in these emails being automatically downloaded to Passbook, which I think could be very cool.

Anyone else notice this behavior? And if so, do you think it's Apple preparing for something to come?

Pietro

Did you ever get this answered? I tried looking at your link but it's not there. By the sounds of it that email was to one of your aliases. Post a pic if you still haven't received an answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.