Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
hi all,
my macbookpro keeps on saying the start up disk is almost full.
i've deleted the trash, deleted all my files and still this problem occurs. disk utility first aid is all fine.

Looking at my disk it says i have lots of music and lots of 'others':
-The music i don't understand, as i don't have any music on my computer...
- the 'other' must be my programs… i have some adobe programs, and some other bigger programs (dropbox, google drive, albelli, Skype), but i doubt this could take so much space….

i feel like a major nube that can't work out the problem…
anyone any suggestions??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 11.58.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 11.58.15 AM.png
    956.1 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 11.57.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 11.57.55 AM.png
    948.3 KB · Views: 489

macuser987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
i've deleted all my downloads.
jup, understand photoshop is a heavy app, but i've always had the entire adobe suite on my computer and never had any problems. because of the 'start up disk full' i've already deleted many programs of the adobe suite.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Are you sure you don't have any music on the Mac ?

Could you select your Music Folder and do Cmd + i to see its size, please ?

macuser987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
89 KB, 16 items

at 'all my files' i found a huge list of images, documents and music. i have no idea where this is hiding, but i'm deleting them now, safes me already 28 Gb, but still a lot of music and others….

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

What he said. I have very fond memories of OmniDiskSweeper from the last time I owned a notebook with limited disk space and it was invaluable for finding out where my disk space had gone.

Your statement that "i don't have any music on my computer" doesn't seem to square with what is reported, plus I note from the screenshot that you have iTunes open, which seems odd if you don't have music. I wonder if it is possible that you do have an iTunes Library that you think is stored in the cloud (iTunes Match/iCloud) but in reality it is still stored on your MacBook Pro.

The "Other" category should cover documents and other such files that don't fall into the Music/Photos/Apps categories. 145GB of documents sounds quite a lot so you must be very productive...

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
if you use itunes, your settings are probably, that it copies your music to itunes own folders. if you right click on a title and go to: "view in finder" or something like this (sorry my mac is not in english) it will show you where itunes saves your music files.

if you have any pictures in iphoto it will have those in it't own iphoto (or aperture) library. so even if you delete the originals, the pictures are still saved on the computer and need space

but as others, I highly recommend the use of OmniDiskSweeper!

macuser987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
thanks a lot! installed the new iOS and omnidisksweeper. omnidisksweeper is the bom, tells you a lot.
turns out i have a lot of user data. still can't work out where this is located, but will delete this via omnidisk.
and many apps... guess i can loose some of those as well.

thanks a lot for all your help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 19.09.46.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 19.09.46.png
    873.5 KB · Views: 623

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your attached image isn't showing the whole picture.
First did a screen print while it was sizing so its not that helpful.
Secondly you're showing the application folder which isn't really a problem. The majority of data is in your home folder. I'd look to cleaning that up before touching any applications.

Also be sure to have a backup because if you delete something you need, you have a fall back plan.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Still, adding up the numbers in leftmost column is a far cry from 420GB that System Information declares as used.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Not to shoot down OmniDiskSweeper, but I highly recommend DaisyDisk and you can't beat its UI. It's by far the best and fastest way I've found to find your big files.

Reactions: Romanesq

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That picture is not the complete deal. There is more to it.

Nope, it was still in scanning mode, and only highlighting the applications folder. We'll have to wait and see what the OP responds.

macuser987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
ok, this is what i got from omnidisk...
i guess i have to delete some pictures ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 21.09.03.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 21.09.03.png
    543.4 KB · Views: 586

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Depending on the pictures, consider using an external disk to archive them. I use external drives to for this purpose and so I retain the pictures of my kids but as each year clicks off, I move the Aperture library to an external drive.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Something is off here.

Omni is showing zero in the hidden /.Mobilebackups folder, yet that system about graphic is showing over 200GB there. That about graphic gets its data from the Spotlight index and I believe yours is corrupt and providing incorrect information. In your first screenshot in post #1 that graphic shows the entire disk used up by Other and obviously that cannot be correct either.

Run the below command in Terminal to reindex Spotlight then take another look at the system about graphic to see if it matches up with what Omni is showing.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /

macuser987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for all your help. My compu is working a lot better already!

I did the sudo mdutil -E / but the graph is still off... see screenshot.

I think I should empty my caches. Is there a way to empty all caches at once?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 09.19.32.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 09.19.32.png
    444.1 KB · Views: 326

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for all your help. My compu is working a lot better already!

I did the sudo mdutil -E / but the graph is still off... see screenshot.

I think I should empty my caches. Is there a way to empty all caches at once?

Caches would be in /Library/Caches and ~/Library/Caches, but neither looks huge on your system.

Did you wait while the Spotlight reindex completed? It can take hours if you have a lots of data. I ask because the system info graphic is still off.

You mentioned "disk first aid" earlier. Try a command-r boot to recovery and from there run Disk Utility and do a repair disk and tell me what you get.

I just did some testing on my system (Mavs 10.9.1), and have come to the conclusion OmniDiskSweeper is borked and not showing hidden folders content.

Look at this screenshot from my system. Time Machine's local backups is using 233MB and Omni shows 0 bytes in /.Mobilebackups where that data is stored. The Terminal command below shows "308M /.MobileBackups" (a few minutes later so the size went up), so the Backups purple graphic is correct and Omni is not showing this space on my system. If you notice at the top of Omni it only shows your total space used at 99.3GB and we know that is wrong. Also Omni show 0 bytes in /.Spotlight and that can't be right either.

Code:
sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups

jmiXk3D.png

So let's ditch Omni and move to Terminal.

Enter the command below in Terminal and wait for the output (it takes a couple minutes). You will need to enter your password.

Code:
sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

You will get something like this:

Code:
1	/.DocumentRevisions-V100
1	/.fseventsd
1	/.MobileBackups
0	/.PKInstallSandboxManager
1	/.Spotlight-V100
0	/.Trashes
0	/.vol
8	/Applications
1	/bin
0	/cores
1	/dev
1	/home
8	/Library
1	/net
0	/Network
5	/private
1	/sbin
5	/System
30	/Users
1	/usr
1	/Volumes
56	/
56	total

The numbers to the left are GB of space used in that folder. Post up the output of the command so we can have a look.

macuser987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
1 /.DocumentRevisions-V100
1 /.fseventsd
3 /.MobileBackups
1 /.Spotlight-V100
0 /.Trashes
0 /.vol
8 /Applications
1 /bin
0 /cores
1 /dev
1 /home
8 /Library
1 /net
0 /Network
8 /private
1 /sbin
4 /System
73 /Users
1 /usr
1 /Volumes
103 /
103 total

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
1 /.DocumentRevisions-V100
1 /.fseventsd
3 /.MobileBackups
1 /.Spotlight-V100
0 /.Trashes
0 /.vol
8 /Applications
1 /bin
0 /cores
1 /dev
1 /home
8 /Library
1 /net
0 /Network
8 /private
1 /sbin
4 /System
73 /Users
1 /usr
1 /Volumes
103 /
103 total

Okay... nothing there jumps out at me as odd. I do see 3GB in /.Mobilebackups that was not shown in Omni as I suspected. If you turn Time Machine off briefly then back on, it will zero that out saving some space.

What are you seeing now in the system about graphic? How about Disk Utility?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.