Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5s_rear_camera-250x234.jpg
iPhone camera module supplier Largan Precision saw its stock take a significant dip yesterday amid rumors that Apple will not be upgrading the resolution of the rear camera for the iPhone 6 later this year, reports The China Post.

The report cites analysts from Nomura Securities who indicate that while the iPhone 6 should see some camera improvements such as enhanced optical image stabilization, the device will continue to use an 8-megapixel sensor rather than a higher-resolution sensor in the 12-16 megapixel range.
According to Nomura Securities, Largan's recently lagging performance in the market is caused by rumors that Apple may adopt an 8 mega-pixel (MP) camera with improved optical image stabilization on its upcoming handset, instead of the 16 MP upgrade anticipated by industry observers. Apple's decision is based on the design requirement to retain the handset's more portable form factor, said Nomura Securities. [...]

Largan retains a leading edge among competing suppliers, as even though the camera's pixel count remains the same, the company is among the few companies capable of coping with the complexity of the camera module, said Nomura Securities. The production of smaller-factored camera modules would require significantly improved optical aperture and resolution attributes, which are the company's competitive strengths, said Nomura Securities.
Apple first introduced an 8-megapixel rear camera on the iPhone 4s back in 2011 and used similar modules for the iPhone 5 in 2012 and iPhone 5c last year. Apple's 2013 flagship iPhone 5s model continues to use an 8-megapixel sensor, but achieves significant camera improvements through increased pixel size, a larger aperture, new "True Tone" dual LED flash, software enhancements, and more.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Rear Camera to Retain 8-Megapixel Sensor, Offer Improved Image Stabilization?

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
This is the way to go. Thanks Apple!

I'd rather have really good 8MP pics than mediocre 40+ MP pics.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I'm absolutely OK with 8 megapixels, much rather I'd like to see further improvements to low light performance and overall picture quality.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Probably won't be called the iPhone 6...not such an attractive marketing name as iPhone 5. But then again, if they divert from the number scheme that rules out a 6S in 2015....and who wouldn't want the iPhone Success!

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Maybe... but I've been feeling like Apple has been falling behind on the iPhone camera hardware a little too much. I'd like to see more substantial improvements.

One nice thing about more MP is that one could crop in and still retain decent resolution. That's a nice thing about Nokia's 41MP lumina. Only problem with that is that its a windows phone.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
This is IMO the best decision as per the camera. It doesn't make sense to have a ridiculous number of megapixels and then stick a terrible lens in there. 8 megapixels means you won't use up all your storage after taking 3 pictures; and improving the optics will mean these pictures will actually be good.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
the size of the sensor is more important than the "size" of the Megapixels.

it was a bit surprising Apple didn't increase the megapixel...as they have and other phone makers have but at the asme time it seems silly to have 12-16-40 MegaPixels in a camera on a phone.

and When I had my first DSLR it only have a 6 Megapixel...and I have printed a 40+ " print...heck, even using photos blown up on a box truck wrap.

and who needs megapixels when too often people just make them crappy with instagram filters

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
They already wrote articles saying 2013 was the year the iPhone camera finally replaced your point-and-shoot device so anything beyond what's in the 5S will be overkill anyway :p

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
While it is true that the amount of megapixels doesn't equal a better picture, it does seem to help with getting more details. I've seen this first hand from a Galaxy S4 with a 13MP sensor vs. my iPhone 5. It took much more detailed pictures than my 5 ever did. Still hoping that Apple will move up to 13MP and keep it at that. Seriously the only thing I miss from that horrible (IMO) S4.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
You are wrong. Apple first introduced an 8-megapixel sensor on the 4S!

Yes.. 4S = 8 MP. iPhone 5 = 8 MP with some "enhancements". iPhone 5S = 8MP with some "enhancements".

iPhone 6 = 8MP with "enhancements"??

I know megapixels aren't everything, but good luck telling the masses that the camera is really improving if you try that again.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
This is the way to go. Thanks Apple!

I'd rather have really good 8MP pics than mediocre 40+ MP pics.

I tend to feel that way too...

...Except the iPhone has no passable optical zoom, so when zooming and cropping an 8 MP photo after the fact....a lot of the quality is lost. This is where more megapixels really shines.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I think it is important to note, that the larger pixels are due to a larger sensor in general!

Bigger sensor over Megapixel for me ;)

mainer4101

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Unless you're printing pictures, you don't need double digit MP.

99% of photos being taken with the iPhone just go up on FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

Things that actually affect the photo (light, color tones, depth, speed) are what make the photos great, not the size of the file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.