Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jan 9, 2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Scott M
macrumors regular

Question about transparency on ios7.

Why is the transparency level different on the iPhone 5s/5 compared to on the iPhone 4s/4?

For example, say, in the settings menu:

On the iPhone 5s/5, the top bit is slightly transparent. You can see the colours flashing by behind the bar as the icons scroll up or down.

However, on the display iPhone 4s I saw in Tesco, in the settings menu, not only is the top bar slightly transparent, but the whole screen is transparent. You can actually slightly see the icons/wallpaper on your home page. I really liked this look and wish that I could replicate it on my iPhone 5s.

Has it been done on purpose?
Scott M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Why is the transparency level different on the iPhone 5s/5 compared to on the iPhone 4s/4?

For example, say, in the settings menu:

On the iPhone 5s/5, the top bit is slightly transparent. You can see the colours flashing by behind the bar as the icons scroll up or down.

However, on the display iPhone 4s I saw in Tesco, in the settings menu, not only is the top bar slightly transparent, but the whole screen is transparent. You can actually slightly see the icons/wallpaper on your home page. I really liked this look and wish that I could replicate it on my iPhone 5s.

Has it been done on purpose?
Settings>General>Accessiblity, make sure Increase Contrast is turned off.

Apps themselves are not transparent. If you're talking about the Settings app, only the top bar where it says Settings will be slightly transparent.

Otherwise, things like Notification Center and Control Center should show a good bit of transparency.

Maybe the 4S you saw was jailbroken.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 09:47 AM   #3
MinEderPlayz
macrumors 6502

This is not possible in iOS 7. The only places which have subtle transparencies in the background of apps are Phone and FaceTime (the latter showing a blurry image of your front facing camera).
Old Jan 9, 2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Scott M
macrumors regular

Well, it is possible because I saw it with my own eyes.

Perhaps the phone was faulty? Don't see how, though.

I need to have another look, but from what I can remember, the grey bits in between the separated sections inside the settings app was where I was seeing the transparency.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Settings>General>Accessiblity, make sure Increase Contrast is turned off.

Apps themselves are not transparent. If you're talking about the Settings app, only the top bar where it says Settings will be slightly transparent.

Otherwise, things like Notification Center and Control Center should show a good bit of transparency.

Maybe the 4S you saw was jailbroken.
It was a display model in Tesco.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Well, it is possible because I saw it with my own eyes.

Perhaps the phone was faulty? Don't see how, though.

I need to have another look, but from what I can remember, the grey bits in between the separated sections inside the settings app was where I was seeing the transparency.

----------

It was a display model in Tesco.
Unless the display of the device was faulty, that's not possible. It definitely isn't intended to happen, and no one's ever posted anything about seeing that fault here..not doubting your eyes, just saying if it happened it's a fault and the only known case of it.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Scott M
macrumors regular

Quote:
Unless the display of the device was faulty, that's not possible. It definitely isn't intended to happen, and no one's ever posted anything about seeing that fault here..not doubting your eyes, just saying if it happened it's a fault and the only known case of it.
It's a strange fault to be fair. I mean, I wonder how it happened? It looked really good, though.

I will check out my girlfriend's nephew's iPhone 4s at some point and see if I can see the same thing on there.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
It's a strange fault to be fair. I mean, I wonder how it happened? It looked really good, though.

I will check out my girlfriend's nephew's iPhone 4s at some point and see if I can see the same thing on there.
There is transparency in settings (and other apps) but only in the top header/menu bar, right under battery, carrier, time, etc..AKA on the main page of settings where it says Settings, or the header of whichever page you are on. Other than that, there is no transparency in Settings.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Scott M
macrumors regular

Quote:
There is transparency in settings (and other apps) but only in the top header/menu bar, right under battery, carrier, time, etc..AKA on the main page of settings where it says Settings, or the header of whichever page you are on. Other than that, there is no transparency in Settings.
I know all this.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7