Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Okay, here's the story: I'm subleasing an apartment for 7 months. However, the person who leased the apartment pre-paid two months' rent (June & July). This person wants the payment earlier than June & July (i.e. now). We have included the building manager in this agreement, so they know about it.

The agreement is that I pay June's rent in February to her, and February's rent to the manager, then in March I pay her July's rent and March's rent to the building manager. Therefore in June & July I'll pay nothing.

Okay, so I just got a message from her asking if I could wire the payments to her instead of mailing her a check.

My question is; is this safe? My first thought is to refuse, and go with a check so I have proof (the cancelled check).

Any advice?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If you wire the money from your bank you should get a print out of the wire to use as proof of payment. I don't see a problem with it.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
It sounds like the landlord is looped in, so if you have an email chain or something in writing that they received the payment from the other tenant it should be ok.

Wiring might just be because they don't want to wait for the check.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It should be safe enough given the circumstances, but I'm totally lost on why you're paying rent on a place 5 to 6 months in advance

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
She will be paying the wire fee (I'm deducting it from the rent, basically), so I'm not worried about that, just about proving that I sent the money to her if the need ever arises.

Guess that's not a worry, so I'll just wire it to her.

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.