Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Hi guys, just wondered if there is a software for this.

What is MKV and can it be converted to AVI easily without downloading some rogue softwares that are around the web?

I keep hearing Handbrake being bandied around these sites. Is this worth downloading and easy to use?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
thanks for the reply.. I just don't understand it :D

Does handbrake convert for burning to DVD too? I have iDVD but it only really likes AVI

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
thanks for the reply.. I just don't understand it :D

Does handbrake convert for burning to DVD too? I have iDVD but it only really likes AVI

Handbrake is free software that will if you get the older 0.9.2 version allow you to convert the .mkv to .avi. Avidemux2 will also do the same idea. Handbrake does not convert to a VIDEO_TS folder that you can burn to DVD.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Thanks, I thought handbrake was a burning software? Like iDVD?

Nope plain old video encoder that can take a DVD and turn it into a file to watch. Now I think about it and just checked with an .mkv file selected Burn will offer to convert then burn a disc with the DVD-Video option it has.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Any Mac software to convert MKV to AVI?

Thank you. Is Handbrake fairly easy to fathom out?

EDIT: I've just downloaded it and don't have a clue what it does or how I can change it to AVI?
I've got it on there but then what?

Last edited:

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I use MacX Converter software. They have a bunch of different versions depending on what you need to do including a free app for downloading YouTube videos if you need that.

They do charge for most of the software but you can catch deals and sometimes they offer Pro versions for free. I got the pro suite for free during a thanksgiving deal.

Works pretty well and is easy to use.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

EDIT: I've just downloaded it and don't have a clue what it does or how I can change it to AVI?
Handbreak doesn't convert to AVI anymore, IIRC. I found an article that quotes the developers as commenting 'AVI is a rough beast. It is obsolete.'

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

HandBrake-0.9.2-MacOSX.5_GUI_UB.dmg is the file you are looking for. Once you have it installed then for source you load your .mkv choose the avi Format option start the conversion.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't know why the OP needs avi versions but I'll just say that I have a Samsung TV that won't play mp4 files from a UBS key...unless I change the extension to avi!

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I use Video Converter Ultimate, which isn't free (although they do a free version that only converts a few minutes or files or something). Their free/nagware was very annoying and almost turned me off it, but the paid app is excellent and has always done everything I've thrown at it.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I use MacX Converter software. They have a bunch of different versions depending on what you need to do including a free app for downloading YouTube videos if you need that.

They do charge for most of the software but you can catch deals and sometimes they offer Pro versions for free. I got the pro suite for free during a thanksgiving deal.

Works pretty well and is easy to use.

thanks

Handbreak doesn't convert to AVI anymore, IIRC. I found an article that quotes the developers as commenting 'AVI is a rough beast. It is obsolete.'

Yes, only saw a drop down with mpeg4 on it, no AVI.

HandBrake-0.9.2-MacOSX.5_GUI_UB.dmg is the file you are looking for. Once you have it installed then for source you load your .mkv choose the avi Format option start the conversion.

I just saw a drop down with mpeg4 and MKV when I clicked the file

Just look at the page MacUpdate's Handbrake download page. It has reviews on the page also.

thanks

I don't know why the OP needs avi versions but I'll just say that I have a Samsung TV that won't play mp4 files from a UBS key...unless I change the extension to avi!

because iDVD only works for me with AVI, and the only other it has done on occasion is mp4/mpeg4, but for some reason it can take HOURS as opposed to AVI. not sure why

I use Video Converter Ultimate, which isn't free (although they do a free version that only converts a few minutes or files or something). Their free/nagware was very annoying and almost turned me off it, but the paid app is excellent and has always done everything I've thrown at it.

will check out, thank you

butterflyv

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
If you just need a player...

You may want to try VLC Player if you are just looking to play a file and don't have to burn it. VLC is free and is awesome. It will play absolutely everything, IMO.

Just my 2 cents

butterflyv

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
You may want to try VLC Player if you are just looking to play a file and don't have to burn it. VLC is free and is awesome. It will play absolutely everything, IMO.

Just my 2 cents

butterflyv

thanks I do have that, but it's the burning I'm having the issue with

That is new version you have installed I put the old version in my Users Application folder so I can have both available to run if I have need for .avi.

so I need to get a copy of the old one, wonder why they don't cover avi on new one

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Senseless in other words.....

Anyone use iDVD, and ever had this come up?
Had this 3 times on the trot after waiting an hour each time, while it was encoding, for nothing... the multiplex error?

2rcol74.png

HappyJun

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2014
Try Smart Converter from Mac App Store it's Free

Hi, why don't you try Smart Converter. It converts to any format and it's free from the Mac App Store. Here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/smart-converter/id447513724?mt=12

Basically, you just drag and drop the file to the app, and choose which format you like to convert to.

Note: This is the free version, which doesn't have batch conversion.

Hope this helps.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Can someone tell me/moderator, why they have removed the last few posts from this thread since yesterday?

Thanks

Daisy Smith

macrumors member
May 13, 2015

What is MKV and can it be converted to AVI easily without downloading some rogue softwares that are around the web?

I keep hearing Handbrake being bandied around these sites. Is this worth downloading and easy to use?

All you want is to download converters without sogue software?

Why not try some online applications?

Such as Online-convert, Free Video Converter, Zamzar, etc.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

To move from MKV to AVI you don't need to reconvert it you just need to change the MP4 container using something like MP4tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.