Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JavierDiaz4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I'll be brief with this post.

As we all know, any carrier wants to maintain their subscriber count and if anything increase it. Well, I approached ATT with the "help me help you" speech to see what they can do to keep me as a customer and not switch to TMobile's service. They are offering me good $ to switch, so what is ATT offering to keep me as a subscriber. Long story short, I asked nicely, and I'm now receiving a permanent $50 credit on my ATT Bill by a combination providing services free of charge and reoccurring credits. Which places me at saving 7 or so dollars over what I would have gotten from TMobile. I know I know, still a savings at TMobile. Well, TMobile is not reliable for me, I get no service at my job due to building penetration and a ton of dead spots on my 1hr+ commute home. But, ATT, Verizon or Sprint doesnt have to know that. So give it a try. Good luck!

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I'll be brief with this post.

As we all know, any carrier wants to maintain their subscriber count and if anything increase it. Well, I approached ATT with the "help me help you" speech to see what they can do to keep me as a customer and not switch to TMobile's service. They are offering me good $ to switch, so what is ATT offering to keep me as a subscriber. Long story short, I asked nicely, and I'm now receiving a permanent $50 credit on my ATT Bill by a combination providing services free of charge and reoccurring credits. Which places me at saving 7 or so dollars over what I would have gotten from TMobile. I know I know, still a savings at TMobile. Well, TMobile is not reliable for me, I get no service at my job due to building penetration and a ton of dead spots on my 1hr+ commute home. But, ATT, Verizon or Sprint doesnt have to know that. So give it a try. Good luck!

after i ported my # from ATT to Tmobile, a few days later AT&T offered me $200 to switch back (and sign a new 2 year contract). $200 would've covered the cost of a new iPhone 5S. But i was like meh no LTE where i live, iPhone 5S useless on AT&T for me.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
As much as I like what tmobile is doing, and the great service I have in my area, I can't use them yet. They need to be more reliable out of major cities first. I travel a lot, and my last experience with them was disappointing. With AT&T I have the same good service in NJ as I had when I was in Alaska. I even had 4g while training up in the mountains where nobody lives as it's an army / Air Force range.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
I got $40 off for 6 months then $10 off for the 6 months after that. It does put my 3 line plan on par with a t-mobile deal but only if it was permanent.

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
When the coverage goes beyond looking Swiss cheese I'll consider. If you are In a rural area or any place away from a major interstate. T-mobile won't cut it.

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
When the coverage goes beyond looking Swiss cheese I'll consider. If you are In a rural area or any place away from a major interstate. T-mobile won't cut it.

I totally agree. But this is pretty much the pot and kettle situation coming from a Sprint customer.

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
I totally agree. But this is pretty much the pot and kettle situation coming from a Sprint customer.

Actually it is not.

Sprint covers way more rural markets than t-mobile could dream of doing. Where t-mobile has as the advantage over sprint is data speed and latency do to sprints legacy sites that are over capacity. Until network vision completes .. T-mobile will have the upper hand in urban markets.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
i think the point of the post is not suggesting that you actually leave AT&T for Tmo, but to get AT&T's retention dept to offer you something to keep you from leaving...I'll be trying the same thing myself and see where it gets me

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
the new prices are low enough to be competitive with T-Mo
don't expect AT&T to give you more than some token credit to stay. and even then they have good CRM software that measures the value of each customer based on lots of factors

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
Actually it is not.

Sprint covers way more rural markets than t-mobile could dream of doing. Where t-mobile has as the advantage over sprint is data speed and latency do to sprints legacy sites that are over capacity. Until network vision completes .. T-mobile will have the upper hand in urban markets.

Well I don't really consider Dial-up like EV-DO speeds as "covering rural areas". Sure you can make a call (mainly due to roaming on VZW), but data is all but useless across the majority of Sprint's 3G network and data is what people care about the most these days. Even in urban areas and some of the mostly "complete" NV markets the 3G network is painful to use and LTE is spotty. I couldn't care less about T-Mobile, they're both garbage networks for the most part. The only thing I'll give them credit for is that they actually rolled out their LTE in a timely manner despite starting a year later than Sprint and all we ever hear from Hesse and Co. are excuses and delays. They have the spectrum, they just need to get it done before 2020. People aren't going to wait forever for them to get their act together.

In just about every comprehensive test comparing the carriers, Sprint is usually in last place out of the 4. Sometimes in 3rd swapping places with T-Mobile. Never ahead of Verizon or AT&T rural nor urban coverage.

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
Carrier Retention due to TMobile Uncarrier strategy

Well I don't really consider Dial-up like EV-DO speeds as "covering rural areas". Sure you can make a call (mainly due to roaming on VZW), but data is all but useless across the majority of Sprint's 3G network and data is what people care about the most these days. Even in urban areas and some of the mostly "complete" NV markets the 3G network is painful to use and LTE is spotty. I couldn't care less about T-Mobile, they're both garbage networks for the most part. The only thing I'll give them credit for is that they actually rolled out their LTE in a timely manner despite starting a year later than Sprint and all we ever hear from Hesse and Co. are excuses and delays. They have the spectrum, they just need to get it done before 2020. People aren't going to wait forever for them to get their act together.

In just about every comprehensive test comparing the carriers, Sprint is usually in last place out of the 4. Sometimes in 3rd swapping places with T-Mobile. Never ahead of Verizon or AT&T rural nor urban coverage.

Your definition of rural coverage would not be accurate. You are referring to the actual performance and quality of the coverage. I understand that point. And no, I was not referring to VZW's roaming coverage. I am talking about Sprint's native rural coverage, still beats what T-Mobile offers. The performance of Sprints EVDO's network is awful nationwide, though is changing, as more and more people are seeing the fruits of the NV upgrade.

a3yty9a4.jpg

In fact, via Sensorly, it shows Sprint's LTE footprint is larger than T-Mobile at this point, and that will continue from hear on, as the progression of the build out is complete. Keep in mind, most of Sprints sites already have the new hardware installed, the delay is mostly coming from the backhaul provided by CenturyLink and AT&T. In addition to that, since Sprint is now a Tri band ( Spark) LTE network 800,1900 and 2500/2600 TD-LTE network, all sites require Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB). In addition, Sprint has converted most legacy WiMax sites to LTE, though... until Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB)is installed, user will not be able to take advantage.

The Sprint upgrade is much more extensive than what T-Mobile had to endure, though, I do agree with you, the end user doesn't care. Sprint is expected to complete phase 1 of NV ( 1900 LTE ) by Mid 2014. The 800 and 2500 TD LTE is where they have the advantage over the competitors, but this will come down to execution.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
after i ported my # from ATT to Tmobile, a few days later AT&T offered me $200 to switch back (and sign a new 2 year contract). $200 would've covered the cost of a new iPhone 5S. But i was like meh no LTE where i live, iPhone 5S useless on AT&T for me.
LTE has been up in Eerie, PA for about a month now. There have been reports at HoFo.

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
Your definition of rural coverage would not be accurate. You are referring to the actual performance and quality of the coverage. I understand that point. And no, I was not referring to VZW's roaming coverage. I am talking about Sprint's native rural coverage, still beats what T-Mobile offers. The performance of Sprints EVDO's network is awful nationwide, though is changing, as more and more people are seeing the fruits of the NV upgrade.

In fact, via Sensorly, it shows Sprint's LTE footprint is larger than T-Mobile at this point, and that will continue from hear on, as the progression of the build out is complete. Keep in mind, most of Sprints sites already have the new hardware installed, the delay is mostly coming from the backhaul provided by CenturyLink and AT&T. In addition to that, since Sprint is now a Tri band ( Spark) LTE network 800,1900 and 2500/2600 TD-LTE network, all sites require Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB). In addition, Sprint has converted most legacy WiMax sites to LTE, though... until Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB)is installed, user will not be able to take advantage.

The Sprint upgrade is much more extensive than what T-Mobile had to endure, though, I do agree with you, the end user doesn't care. Sprint is expected to complete phase 1 of NV ( 1900 LTE ) by Mid 2014. The 800 and 2500 TD LTE is where they have the advantage over the competitors, but this will come down to execution.

I wouldn't rely on sensorly too much for comparison sake. I've been to S4GRU and it seems that Sprint has a disproportional number of users mapping their coverage via sensorly compared to the other carriers. Going off Sensorly data one might get the impression that Sprint has more coverage than Verizon and we all know that isn't the case. Sensorly is good to see if LTE is being worked on in your area but not a tool for finding reliable coverage.

There is a reason why Sprint hasn't announced some of those markets and that's because the LTE signal is too spotty and unreliable to count. Verizon certainly isn't going to go by Sensorly data when showing their comparison maps to Sprint.

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
I wouldn't rely on sensorly too much for comparison sake. I've been to S4GRU and it seems that Sprint has a disproportional number of users mapping their coverage via sensorly compared to the other carriers. Going off Sensorly data one might get the impression that Sprint has more coverage than Verizon and we all know that isn't the case. Sensorly is good to see if LTE is being worked on in your area but not a tool for finding reliable coverage.

There is a reason why Sprint hasn't announced some of those markets and that's because the LTE signal is too spotty and unreliable to count. Verizon certainly isn't going to go by Sensorly data when showing their comparison maps to Sprint.

Right, the point was, the LTE footprint is much larger than what I believe many thing. Now, quality wise, that's specific for each market, and I agree with you there.

No doubt Verizon has more coverage than what sensorly shows, that is a given. What I am curious to see, is the 800 coverage with Sprint LTE once the rollout gets some steam. That and the 2500 TD LTE will be the really changer for Sprint. The 1900.. Will make do, but.. as you said before.. just as it is for T-Mobile .. not good for building penetration.

Good Chattin with you, Apple Trees!:D

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
I got $40 off for 6 months then $10 off for the 6 months after that. It does put my 3 line plan on par with a t-mobile deal but only if it was permanent.

Looks like I no longer get this after switching my plan to a bucket data plan and adding 2 lines. I asked multiple reps and even in store if my discounts will carry over and they said it would. Lo and behold no sign of it on the latest bills. After a good hour and a half song and dance with retentions they would refuse to give it to me and agreed to only $40 off on the next bill. Jumping ship to t-mobile on my next phone upgrade (most likely the iphone 6). If only phone unlocking was still dirt cheap I'd do it right now.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel

I would hardly call the 5S useless.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
i didn't call the 5S useless genius. I said without LTE there would be no point in using my 5S on AT&T, that's why i switched to Tmo.

You directly said "iPhone 5S useless on AT&T". Well it does more than LTE genius so it's not useless. Some people on here have got some serious attitude problems it's truly become full of asshats.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
Looks like I no longer get this after switching my plan to a bucket data plan and adding 2 lines. I asked multiple reps and even in store if my discounts will carry over and they said it would. Lo and behold no sign of it on the latest bills. After a good hour and a half song and dance with retentions they would refuse to give it to me and agreed to only $40 off on the next bill. Jumping ship to t-mobile on my next phone upgrade (most likely the iphone 6). If only phone unlocking was still dirt cheap I'd do it right now.

A lot better than it used to be, things are starting to get better as there is never ending high demand for AT&T unlocks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.