Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The original Macintosh Development Team, along with the Computer History Museum, is leading a special event at the Flint Center in Cupertino, California on January 25 to celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the introduction of the Macintosh. The Flint Center is the since renovated auditorium where Steve Jobs first introduced the Mac.

30thanniversary.jpeg
In a series of panel discussions, members of the original team will share memories about the conception, birth and coming of age of the Apple Macintosh. Previously unreleased video will recreate those early days. And Ridley Scott will participate regarding the iconic "1984" commercial conceived by Steve Hayden, Brent Thomas and Lee Clow. Stage events, testimonials and surprise guests will offer a treasure trove of recollections about the era.

In some of the evening's highlights, Mike Markkula will be part of a presentation acknowledging the unsung heroes of the computer revolution--the original Mac team. Currently there are 7 of the 10 single digit original Apple Employees confirmed and over 17 double digit badge numbers.
The team behind the event, led by Daniel Kottke, is asking for images and anecdotes from early Macintosh developers to feature at the show. More details can be found on the 30th Anniversary Celebration website.

Tickets are available via Ticketmaster starting at $109.75 each. All proceeds after expenses will be donated to charity.

Update: The event website has been updated to note that Ridley Scott will be unable to attend, but that other members of the team behind the iconic commercial will be on hand.

Article Link: Macintosh 30th Anniversary Celebration Event Planned for January 25

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I got excited when I first saw this notification pop up. I thought that maybe Apple had an event scheduled to release a special edition 30th anniversary Mac, like a special new crazy 4K iMac or who knows what. They did something like that in the 90s with this really weird looking silver flat screen Mac.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Feeling old. I remember getting my fist computer, the Apple II and over the years upgrading to the my current iMac (late 2012). And based on trends probably my last desktop. Somehow I suspect that this line will not make it to 40.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Is there a significance to the ticket price?

Okay, is there some significance to the price of $109.75?

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
In the name of Jesus! Thank you for posting something about the Mac! It gets lonely around here sometimes.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
My first computer was also an Apple ][e. The Macintosh was such a cool machine, I still have a vivid memory of unboxing it and putting it on my dining room table, ...sigh.

We kept it for years and my children have fond memories of playing the Oregon Trail on it.

Unfortunately, we gave it to a family that didn't have a computer since at the time we had moved on to a Performa. While it was the right thing to do at the time, I wish I still had that computer.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Even though twentieth anniversary macintosh was for celebrating Apple turning 20, not the macintosh, why not make a TAM V2, thirtieth anniversary macintosh? :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Okay, is there some significance to the price of $109.75?

Wondering the same thing. Possibly the 75 reflects the year when work started on the Apple I (take out the zero to get 1975), though in that case 76 would have been more significant as the year when Apple was founded.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Oh look, I've got that Mac in the picture! Except with 512KB of RAM (yes it's the 512K).

I believe the 512K Macintosh was called the "Fat Mac", though I'm not sure if that was official or not. :D

I've still got my original 128K Macintosh! Those were the days...

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Looks like a great time! I'd like to be there myself. Oh, well....
Thank you, MacRumors, for posting the video. I've read about it but this is the first time I've ever seen/heard it. Wonderful.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
My first computer was a MAC SE - awesome machine . I think I spent around 6,000 for the Computer, the Apple Printer and some software.

Now the first PC I ever used was an Commodore PET - with a Tape Drive !

Tom

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Forgot how noisy the 80s were. You can hear the buzz from VHS in the playback. Like a fingerprint of authenticity. Though you have to imagine the clunk as he puts in the disk and it drops down.

The key bit though was the smile on Steve's face from the roar of the crowd. The moment that would make all future developments worth the work he put into them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.