Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:26 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 'Halo' Driving Corporate iPad/Mac Adoption, 25% of Cisco-Owned Laptops Are MacBooks

Apple is seeing increased success in selling its wares to large corporations thanks to the iPhone, reports The Wall Street Journal. A number of Apple products have acted as "halos" over the years, selling to first-time Apple owners and seeing that penetration lead to sales of more products.

The iPod helped drive Mac adoption with consumers, particularly amongst college students, but the iPhone is the most successful product in Apple's history and has driven tremendous amounts of Mac and iPad sales. One-quarter of Cisco's company-provided notebooks are Macs following that company's decision to allow employees to choose which platform they preferred.

Many companies are deploying custom applications for iPhones and iPads, with the iPhone often being Apple's first foothold in a business.
Quote:
LG&E and KU Energy LLC, Kentucky's biggest electric utility ... approved the iPhone for employees in 2010. It then introduced iPads, and built apps such as one to help its helicopter patrollers survey 5,500 miles of high-voltage power lines. Using an iPad's global-positioning system, patrollers can pinpoint the location of a problem and select from a menu of common issues, such as a damaged pole or an overgrown tree.

"For years, we looked for some way to automate this and we heard all sorts of fairy tales, but we could never find anything," said Robby Trimble, LG&E and KU's manager of transmission-line services.

Now, the utility's engineers who run power plants use iPads to record how much electricity is generated. Warehouse managers use the tablet to scan bar codes and track the utility's tools and materials.
Forrester says Apple accounts for 8 percent of global business and government spending on computers and tablets -- that number does not include the iPhone -- and could rise to 11 percent by 2015.

Apple executives frequently mention enterprise adoption and custom app development in earnings release conference calls with analysts, touting large corporate adoptions of iOS devices and how companies are using internally developed apps. The company also has large websites profiling how businesses are using both the iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: iPhone 'Halo' Driving Corporate iPad/Mac Adoption, 25% of Cisco-Owned Laptops Are MacBooks
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:29 PM   #2
ATL-JaySin
macrumors newbie

Cisco and IOS

There is no end to the number of IOS and iOS devices at Cisco. My team is actually 70% Mac. We are in a network operations role internally at Cisco.

-JaySin
ATL-JaySin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:31 PM   #3
H2SO4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL-JaySin View Post
There is no end to the number of IOS and iOS devices at Cisco. My team is actually 70% Mac. We are in a network operations role internally at Cisco.

-JaySin
How many of those Macs are running Windows?
H2SO4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:32 PM   #4
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I can just imagine the two men in that photo playing Angry Birds.

Last edited by AngerDanger; Jan 9, 2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: [img]
AngerDanger is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:37 PM   #5
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Talking about a snow-ball effect…..
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Porco
macrumors 68000

"Yeah, I got the early release of her visual album on iTunes… and here I have an older Beyoncé video from her 'I Am Sasha Fierce' album… "
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:42 PM   #7
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

I don't use the provided corporate Windows PC. The desktop PC I have on my tablet works as a base for the monitor, which is connected to my personal Macbook.
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:43 PM   #8
mrxak
macrumors 65816

I think this is why Apple is pushing iWork so hard, now, especially on iPad. The real halo effect, though, isn't so much from the iPhone itself, it's from the developers of iOS apps. It used to be Mac programmers were a rare breed, but the iOS gold rush has taught a lot of new and old programmers Objective-C and Cocoa, which of course kicked off a lot of new applications and interest in the Mac market. Mac programmers aren't so rare anymore, so Mac software isn't so rare anymore, so having Macs in the workplace is less of a big deal.

Last edited by mrxak; Jan 9, 2014 at 04:50 PM.
mrxak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:46 PM   #9
djgamble
macrumors 6502

That's good news... reading these forums recently you'd think everybody viewed Samsung as being the only option for mobile phones.
djgamble is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:49 PM   #10
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

1 company for every 5000 companies have a Mac install-base over 20%. Big deal.

Macs (like most business-class Wintels) are nice computers. Pricier, yes.

I'm not sure what the big advertisement is that Cisco has a 25% Mac user base. So what. I'm sure company X out there has a 25% linux base, too. And Company Y out there has a 25% Pepsi-drinking user base.

Talk to me when Macs hit a 25% install base in EITHER the consumer market or business market for a personal computer (not a tablet or a smartphone). As far as I can tell, for the past 30 years Apple peaked at 15% in either of those 2 markets...and that was in 2011 I believe.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:59 PM   #11
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post

I'm not sure what the big advertisement is that Cisco has a 25% Mac user base. So what. I'm sure company X out there has a 25% linux base, too. And Company Y out there has a 25% Pepsi-drinking user base.

Talk to me when Macs hit a 25% install base in EITHER the consumer market or business market for a personal computer (not a tablet or a smartphone). As far as I can tell, for the past 30 years Apple peaked at 15% in either of those 2 markets...and that was in 2011 I believe.
So...how's the weather in Redmond?

Last edited by Jaro65; Jan 9, 2014 at 05:08 PM.
Jaro65 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:02 PM   #12
sirozha
macrumors regular

Cisco's engineers choose Mac over non-Mac laptops in about 80% of cases. Cisco has a lot of non-engineers working for them, so Macs making up 25% of all computers at Cisco is when both engineers and non-engineers are counted. Among Cisco engineers, Macs are significantly more popular than PCs.
sirozha is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:05 PM   #13
scbn
macrumors 6502

This is from WSJ. The Halo effect is real. I see more and more people that I know use Macs now.
scbn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:13 PM   #14
Kobayagi
macrumors 6502

Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:20 PM   #15
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
So...how's the weather in Redmond?
When you quote the ENTIRE post that contains multiple points, your single question pretty much becomes invalid. Please don't quote the entire post.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:24 PM   #16
UKgaryb
macrumors member

We bought a company who do real time data processing based on mac's using a sand cluster processing of a problem took 12 weeks, processing on a 6node cluster of hp blades running Hadoop took 6 hours, x1 Apple MacBook 2013 air i7 took 22mins, people are taking notice that OSX has some very powerful features
UKgaryb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:31 PM   #17
mrhick01
macrumors regular

Quote:

And doing such would make them a $400 billion a year company rather than the ~$250 billion a year company that they are now.

How is not achieving this magical 25 percent number a demerit?
mrhick01 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 05:53 PM   #18
Seoras
macrumors member

Back in the 90's it was 100% Mac's at Cisco

When I joined Cisco in '94 the only laptop you saw at the West Tasman Cisco campus was a Mac.
Then the corporate policy makers did a deal and everyone was moved to Toshiba's, then IBM stinkpads. No Macs. Windows only with nanny ware.
In the last 5 years there's been a change internally, probably originating in R&D, where most Cisco developers reformat their laptops and install Linux.
As I understand it R&D is pretty much all Macs but not all Mac OSX.
Nice hardware for the Linux fans to install their favourite distro.
Seoras is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 06:04 PM   #19
Traverse
macrumors 68030

For me, it was an iPad Nano fifth generation. Ahhh good times.

Life was simpler back then....
Traverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 07:08 PM   #20
dwhittington
macrumors regular

Quote:

I disagree. I've heard the Cisco 25% number back in 2010 when it was mostly BYOD. Regardless of how high or low it might be, thats a big number for actual enterprise managed machines.

I've got several Fortune 500 customers who have both large managed or unmanaged install bases, also thanks to BYOD. This sort of stuff usually starts at the top and trickles down throughout an organization. It's not just one company, bro.

[insert gratuitous marketshare chart here]

Think 8-bit.
dwhittington is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 07:28 PM   #21
dilbert99
macrumors regular

Quote:
When you quote the ENTIRE post that contains multiple points, your single question pretty much becomes invalid. Please don't quote the entire post.
You do realise that MS is in Redmond?
dilbert99 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 08:00 PM   #22
ladeer
macrumors 6502

Location: All my words are personal opinion and never represent any other company/entity
[deleted]

Last edited by ladeer; Nov 19, 2014 at 07:58 AM.
ladeer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 08:52 PM   #23
N64
Banned

Good to hear. I don't really care at all about iPads and iPhones, but more Mac users means more Mac software. And I might not have to touch Windows anymore if it takes off. Can't stand using it.

But first Apple has to recover from Mavericks. Come on, no new features except extra RAM usage and bugs. Maybe less battery usage on MacBooks, but I don't know if that's true. Doubt it because it seems to use more CPU just from loading all that bloat.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoras View Post
When I joined Cisco in '94 the only laptop you saw at the West Tasman Cisco campus was a Mac.
I've heard about this. I happen to know a past Cisco employee.
N64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 09:36 PM   #24
ZOZO
Banned

It's not all about iOS devices. Colleges nowadays are almost entirely flooded with MacBooks. The workforce is now made up of probably millions who have used macs in school, and would like to use them at work too. If enough employees push for it, it starts being offered as an option. Not saying that's what's going on here, but it is what goes on in a lot of workplaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N64 View Post
Good to hear. I don't really care at all about iPads and iPhones, but more Mac users means more Mac software. And I might not have to touch Windows anymore if it takes off. Can't stand using it.

But first Apple has to recover from Mavericks. Come on, no new features except extra RAM usage and bugs. Maybe less battery usage on MacBooks, but I don't know if that's true. Doubt it because it seems to use more CPU just from loading all that bloat.
Well, all tests show significant power usage improvements, as well as much improved RAM usage. RAM compression helps out a ton, timer coalescing (though probably almost exclusively used by Apple's software at the moment), is an incredible feature for battery life improvement. As more apps take advantage of it, battery life will slowly get better and better as time goes by. Weird, huh? App nap will probably end up working similarly, because if devs take full control of App Nap's behavior, they can also somewhat increase its efficiency. Mavericks is mostly a version focused on laptops. Some of the best features serve very little purpose on an iMac or Mac Pro, but then again, most macs sold are laptops.

Last edited by ZOZO; Jan 9, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
ZOZO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:04 PM   #25
felixwcf
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
How many of those Macs are running Windows?
Those who play PC games. That's the only useful thing on Windows.
felixwcf is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion