Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

U.S. Mac Sales Grow 28.5% in Holiday Quarter, PC Market Suffers Worst Decline Ever [Updated]

Apple saw its U.S. PC marketshare rise from 9.9 percent to 13.7 percent in the holiday quarter year-over-year, according to data just released from Gartner. The 28.5 percent rise shows a substantial increase in Mac sales, largely at the expense of HP and Toshiba.

Dell and Lenovo are the only other PC firms who saw significant rises in marketshare in the quarter.
Quote:
In the U.S., PC shipments totaled 15.8 million units in the fourth quarter of 2013, a 7.5 percent decline from the fourth quarter of 2012 (see Table 2). Despite a 10.3 percent decline in shipments, HP continued to be the No. 1 vendor in the U.S., as it accounted for 26.5 percent of shipments.

"Holiday sales of technology products were strong in the U.S. market, but consumer spending during the holidays did not come back to PCs as tablets were one of the hottest holiday items," said Ms. Kitagawa. "We think that the U.S. PC market has bottomed out. A variety of new form factors, such as hybrid notebooks, drew holiday shoppers' attention, but the market size was very small at the time. Lowering the price point of thin and light products started encouraging the PC replacement and potentially some PC growth in 2014."
Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q13 (Thousands of Units)

The U.S. PC market fared slightly worse than the global market, dropping 7.5 percent in unit sales, from 17.07 million units last year to 15.8 million units this year. Continuing a trend from the last several quarters, tablets have continued to eat into PC sales and though hybrid tablet-notebooks have appealed to some shoppers, the market size for those devices remains very small. As a result of the demand for tablets, the overall PC market saw its worst unit decline in history.

Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-4Q13 (Gartner)
It's important to note that this data is preliminary -- last year, Gartner revised its preliminary Apple numbers from 12.3% down to 9.9%, likely because last year the newly introduced iMac was in extremely short supply.

Apple's US PC marketshare has seen consistent growth over the past seven years, rising from just under 5 percent to the current 13.7 percent.

Update: IDC has released its own estimates of PC shipments for the fourth quarter of 2013, painting a very different picture of Apple's performance. According to IDC, Apple shipped only 1.6 million Macs in the U.S. during the quarter, compared to Gartner's estimate approaching 2.2 million units. IDC's estimate puts Apple's share of the U.S. market at 9.3%, with the company falling into fourth place after being passed by Lenovo.

Apple will report its official earnings for the quarter on January 27, providing some insight into whether Gartner's or IDC's estimates are closer to reality.

Article Link: U.S. Mac Sales Grow 28.5% in Holiday Quarter, PC Market Suffers Worst Decline Ever [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:03 PM   #2
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

As expected.
dannyyankou is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:05 PM   #3
theelysium
macrumors 6502

Thank you MS for Windows 8! More and more will come....
theelysium is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:06 PM   #4
sguser
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelysium View Post
Thank you MS for Windows 8! More and more will come....
Indeed. I've been Windows user for 15 years. I've switched to Mac OS X and I couldn't have been happier.
sguser is offline   60 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Because people really don't need PC's anymore in their homes. Tablets will do just fine. Email, Facebook, music/radio, casual gaming, calenders, note taking - all just fine on a tablet.

PC's/Macs are only need for power users (video, photographers, hardcore gamers, business users on Excel, etc.)

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:07 PM   #6
scbn
macrumors regular

I thought Mac sales were declining last year; maybe there was turnaround in December.
scbn is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:08 PM   #7
theelysium
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguser View Post
Indeed. I've been Windows user for 15 years. I've switched to Mac OS X and I couldn't have been happier.
I like MS Windows 8 commercial... "It's the same experience on all devices." Yeah the same horrid experience on all their devices. At least MS is constantly horrible.

Again, thank you MS for making every PC and Tablet user flock to Apple. LOL
theelysium is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Iamthinking
macrumors regular

More good apple news

These great sales charts can mean only one thing: stock charts for apple will plummet. Renewed chants of "apple is doomed"

As an apple shareholder, I am hoping for some bad news from apple, as I'm hoping the stock will go up, as the trend seems to be.
Iamthinking is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Because people really don't need PC's anymore in their homes. Tablets will do just fine. Email, Facebook, music/radio, casual gaming, calenders, note taking - all just fine on a tablet.

PC's/Macs are only need for power users (video, photographers, hardcore gamers, business users on Excel, etc.)
QFT !

Even the iPad has cannibalized Mac sales. I use my iPad's 85% and my Mac 15% of the time. Apps are typically so much better on the iPad.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:17 PM   #10
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Eventually there will be just Macs, tablets, and home-built PCs.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelysium View Post
I like MS Windows 8 commercial... "It's the same experience on all devices." Yeah the same horrid experience on all their devices. At least MS is constantly horrible.

Again, thank you MS for making every PC and Tablet user flock to Apple. LOL
I wouldn't even go as far as to say that it's Windows 8 that's causing the decline. I am using a Dell Venue 8 Pro now and it's the best tablet experience I've ever had hands down. Better than an iPad or Android tablet.

Windows 8 functions as advertised, the app selection is a moot point, and Windows has gotten Apple beat by a mile in terms of being able to switch into and out of a fully touch or mouse and board UX/UI. Even with dual displays plugged into an 8" tablet I can get a touch UI on one screen and a full desktop experience on the other. The machine runs Photoshop without a hitch while running other light apps. I've coded websites and made GFX in Illustrator. Lightroom, and it's hungry hippo self, runs decently, but don't load up the library.

Then there's games, where Civ 5 does a fantastic job both in the touch and desktop UI.

Now the hardware . . . . . that's another story. I've already had three Dell related hardware glitches with this thing that the normal user wouldn't have been able to recover from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
Eventually there will be just Macs, tablets, and home-built PCs.
I don't even think there will be too many Macs.

The way things are going in the high end market, which usually trickles down to the average user, everything is moving to zero client. Where the grunt of the work is handled by servers that just stream pixels to end users. The 48 core 256GB of RAM servers that Dell and HP make are far better at handling any task you can throw at them.

Soon, even the laptop will be a novelty.

Last edited by Digital Skunk; Jan 9, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
Digital Skunk is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:19 PM   #12
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

A good vibe going towards that upcoming earnings call.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:29 PM   #13
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post

The way things are going in the high end market, which usually trickles down to the average user, everything is moving to zero client. Where the grunt of the work is handled by servers that just stream pixels to end users. The 48 core 256GB of RAM servers that Dell and HP make are far better at handling any task you can throw at them.

I think we will get 500 Ghz Graphene processors before that happens and even your tablet will be 10 times more powerful than a 48 core server which uses silicone.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Cannibalize your own products or someone else will. Post-PC is here!
Klae17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:33 PM   #15
driceman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbn View Post
I thought Mac sales were declining last year; maybe there was turnaround in December.
This is only based on last quarter, the quarter in which they launched OS X Mavericks and the new MacBook Pro lineup.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:33 PM   #16
d-m-a-x
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbn View Post
they FINALLY came to their senses ad made a new Mac Pro.
At the very least it had a halo effect
d-m-a-x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:34 PM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Where do they get their data from? Estimates or surveys of retailers?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:45 PM   #18
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post

You're overlooking latency and bandwidth. It will never be faster to do computing off-site. It may not even be cheaper.

While it's true that fewer people need real computers, plenty of use cases will never be better on a tablet. The overall PC market will shrink, but not disappear. When that happens (and Apple, as this article indicates, is still growing), the low-margin mass market PC businesses will fade and the more diversified, higher-margin companies like Apple will survive.

Then there's the gaming market. A resurgence in PC gaming is going to keep home-built hobbyist PCs going for a long time to come. Some speciality shops that build and optimize desktop computers for gaming or other specialized tasks (workstations) will keep going as well, but the low-cost mass produced PC business is obviously being taken over by consumption devices like tablets and phones. For the rest, there's high-end desktops, and anything that people want to do with a desktop, they'll still want to do on the go, so laptops aren't going anywhere. A tablet has never been a viable alternative to a laptop for certain tasks, and never will be.

So, we'll see a collapse of low-end computing, replaced by tablets and other mobile devices, the expansion of high-end computing, and an overall shrink of the market. Macs, tablets, home-built PCs.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:46 PM   #19
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-m-a-x View Post
they FINALLY came to their senses ad made a new Mac Pro.
At the very least it had a halo effect
I don't think the Mac Pro had any significant effect on these numbers, halo or real.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:46 PM   #20
Icaras
macrumors 601

Go Apple!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:46 PM   #21
Preed08
macrumors regular

I can understand why. I have both windows 8 and and a Macbook pro...and I like OSX so much that I had to make my windows machine dual boot Mac and Windows.
Windows 8 is not that bad, but the start menu leaves much to be diesired. OSX has a clean looking, professional interface that many people seem to love.
Preed08 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:47 PM   #22
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
You're overlooking latency and bandwidth. It will never be faster to do computing off-site. It may not even be cheaper.
Even today, it's faster to do computing off site if you are dealing with big computations.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:51 PM   #23
LagunaSol
Banned

Great news. There will always be a place for "traditional" computers. I love my iPad and use it 75% of the time, but there are a lot of things I still need my iMac for. And probably always will.

Good to see Apple is still innovating in this space. Now about that missing prosumer sub-$2k headless Mac....
LagunaSol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:56 PM   #24
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Now about that missing prosumer sub-$2k headless Mac....
I’m already waiting in line, want me to hold you a spot?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 04:57 PM   #25
hexor
macrumors regular

I wonder if they include returns/refunds in their numbers. A friend of mine bought a Dell XPS and that broke in the first month. Replacement one took several weeks to get. The replacement only lasted a day before it failed. Now he is getting a refund.
hexor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion