Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alank7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
I received my new iPad Air yesterday. The plastic wrap looked intact to me. However, I was puzzled by the fact that the iPad Air had a Serial Number starting with "DMPL8", which indicated that the unit production week in the 34th (Mid-August 2013). But to my surprise, the unit has IOS 7.0.4 installed on it already! IOS 7.0.4 was released in November 2013, and could not have been available at the time where this iPad Air was made. How did IOS 7.0.4 get into this unit that was manufactured in Mid-August 2013?

alank7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Sitting in warehouse for more than 4 months for such popular item!? It's kind of strange....

runormal

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
California
Are you using the chipmunk website for your device info? I looked up one of my previous iPad Airs and it came up as an ipad mini

alank7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Do you like your ipad if you do what difference does it make?

I like my iPad but don’t want to get a refurbished one for the price I paid.
It’s a popular item but why sitting in the warehouse for more than 4 months long.

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
I like my iPad but don’t want to get a refurbished one for the price I paid.
It’s a popular item but why sitting in the warehouse for more than 4 months long.

Where'd you buy it from? If it came in the iPad Air original box and you got it from Apple it isn't refurbished. I would lookup the warranty to make sure it's one year away from the day you bought it just to make sure. If you didn't get it from Apple, and it was sold as "new" but you have less than a year on the warranty, contact the seller (or failing that, your credit card company).

alank7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Where'd you buy it from? If it came in the iPad Air original box and you got it from Apple it isn't refurbished. I would lookup the warranty to make sure it's one year away from the day you bought it just to make sure. If you didn't get it from Apple, and it was sold as "new" but you have less than a year on the warranty, contact the seller (or failing that, your credit card company).

I got it from Staples. Yes, it came with the original white box with the plastic wrap.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say if your iPad is working as expected, then don't worry about the serial number and build date. There's no conclusive evidence that you can come up with to indicate you have a refurb.

If it bothers you so much then exchange it, but really I'd say its not a bit deal. Don't sweat the small stuff (and build dates are small stuff)

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
There are more than a few people here who have had screen problems saying that they would be happy to get a refurb or one with slight damage if they could get a good screen. Staples probably doesn't have as great a turnover on iPads as an Apple store or even BB so an early build date is probably not unusual. If it looks good, works fine and came in a new box I would be more than happy with it. Maybe it's just a mistake by Chipmunk as someone mentioned above.

alank7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Since it is from Staples, they cannot reset the warranty start date. Did you put in the serial number into Apple's warranty checker and see what is the warranty expiration date?

Yes,I did. 364 days left. I'm so curios why it was sitting in the warehouse 4 months long and not release to the public while Staples and others out of stock most of the time.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
Yes,I did. 364 days left. I'm so curios why it was sitting in the warehouse 4 months long and not release to the public while Staples and others out of stock most of the time.

Yeah if Staples is consistently out of stock, then it most likely came from Apple that way. Perhaps Apple shipped Staples a resealed unit and reset the warranty date, which is quite possible since Apple has been on this cost saving spree (iPhone screen repair in store as opposed to white box replacement). When you think about it, if a customer returns a unit to Apple because they change their mind and there is no damage, why not reseal and sell it (maybe they reassign a new serial number to throw people off).

alank7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Yeah if Staples is consistently out of stock, then it most likely came from Apple that way. Perhaps Apple shipped Staples a resealed unit and reset the warranty date, which is quite possible since Apple has been on this cost saving spree (iPhone screen repair in store as opposed to white box replacement). When you think about it, if a customer returns a unit to Apple because they change their mind and there is no damage, why not reseal and sell it (maybe they reassign a new serial number to throw people off).

That's what I'm guessing.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
That's what I'm guessing.

I seriously doubt that Apple would do this and if so why not change the build week also? Since you are not going to get a definitive answer and if this is bothering you to the point that you can't be happy with the device, I would return it and buy a brand new one at another store. Before you go that route however I would check out the threads here where people are making multiple returns/exchanges in the pursuit of getting an iPad Air or rMini with a decent screen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah if Staples is consistently out of stock, then it most likely came from Apple that way. Perhaps Apple shipped Staples a resealed unit and reset the warranty date
That's against the law, and I doubt apple has a policy in place that takes refurbs/repaired iPads and preps them for new sales.

----------

OP, as I said, if its really bothering you, take it back. Then go to an apple store or some other place and but another.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
You are worrying about nothing. It's not refurb. Enjoy it if nothing is wrong spend your energy on something else.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
How does anyone outside of Apple know the exact order of things in the production process?

You assume the OS is loaded at the same time the serial number is printed on the back. This assumes much.

How do you know the cases aren't fabricated in bulk, serialized, stored until they're needed, then assembled and loaded with firmware for shipment?

If anything, to me this potentially says less about you getting a refurb than it does about Apple overestimating demand for the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.