Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Hi,

My contract is with my carrier is almost up, and they want me to pick a new phone for myself. Coming from the 4S and having iPads the 5S is a pretty obvious pick.

I would like some compelling reasons not to get the 5S, preferably from those who have it.

Thanks!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Had the 5S... but my experience with it, does not allow me to say anything wrong against that jump.

It's a the most logical jump in terms of upgrade you can make. Also, I might add it is the best upgrade so far.

I see no reason to give you "A reason not to buy it".

Asking why I had the 5S, well I lost it.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
If you've managed fine with the 4S then there's no downside to upgrading to the 5s. The only downside could be the cost, and whether you could get another phone such as the Nexus 5, for a loss less unlocked with pretty much as good spec, and with vanilla android which now is on a par with iOS in my view. Go and have a play with a 5s, and go from there :)

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
If you got the "itch" to change, scratch it! Just make sure you make up your mind before the trial period expires so you can jump back.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I can't come up with a single reason to NOT buy the 5S. Just buy it and you will not regret it. It is the BEST phone I have ever used.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
If you've managed fine with the 4S then there's no downside to upgrading to the 5s. The only downside could be the cost, and whether you could get another phone such as the Nexus 5, for a loss less unlocked with pretty much as good spec, and with vanilla android which now is on a par with iOS in my view. Go and have a play with a 5s, and go from there :)

The only downside with the nexus 5 is the horrendous battery life, upgrading from a 4s to a 5s is night and day.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
The only downside with the nexus 5 is the horrendous battery life, upgrading from a 4s to a 5s is night and day.

The battery life is actually better than a 5s, ignore the initial reviews as they are based on out the box spec. It takes a while for the batteries and apps to optimise, plus there's a small part where people are turning wifi off with the toggle, but it continuously searches still, this eats the battery however going into the wifi settings and turning off this search irradiates that issue. Nexus 5 has a 2300 mah battery, and a low memory iOS in kitkat. Go on the various android forums, and I'm sure they'll confirm this. :)

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
LTE alone is enough of a reason to upgrade. I get download speeds from AT&T that are better than wifi.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is the 5S completely free?

If not that's a reason. Your doing fine with your 4S so why spend more money.

Plus waiting for the 6 is another reason. Maybe it will offer something that you really want vs a phone you are looking for excuses not to buy. :)

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
You want a reason not to buy an iPhone?

How about the sleep button (almost) always breaking just out of warranty?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The battery life is actually better than a 5s, ignore the initial reviews as they are based on out the box spec. It takes a while for the batteries and apps to optimise, plus there's a small part where people are turning wifi off with the toggle, but it continuously searches still, this eats the battery however going into the wifi settings and turning off this search irradiates that issue. Nexus 5 has a 2300 mah battery, and a low memory iOS in kitkat. Go on the various android forums, and I'm sure they'll confirm this. :)
i was going by a very respected reviewer SKB that has both as a daily driver.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
You have an upgrade available and don't have the latest iPhone? Your carrier isn't giving you a reduced price on your monthly bill since you've already repaid them for your current phone. Upgrade to the 5S right now. It's a no brainer.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
There are endless threads on reboots, resprings and battery life. Should I post some links?:)

Much less to do with the 5S, more to do with iOS 7. In about a month's time, we'll all be on 7.1 and those resprings and stability issues will be gone.

Keep in mind - these vary wildly from person to person. I've experience very specific issues with the Music app crashing and the occasional respring (I'm talking once every week or two). Nothing that cripples the phone or makes it any less smooth/fast.

The thing really is a screamer. Once they get everything optimized for the 64-bit arch and iOS 7.1 is out, it'll be something!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Unless you want to give Android a try(The Nexus5 is an amazing phone), I can't think of a reason not to go with the iPhone 5s.

There are endless threads on reboots, resprings and battery life. Should I post some links?:)

I had several resprings in a span of about a week, and then no issues over the last month. There wasn't a specific App that seemed to cause them, it was fairly random. My usage patterns have stayed the same, so I'm of the opinion that there is a bit of software instability in iOS 7.0.4. Hopefully everything is patched up in 7.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.