Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Legacy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to Legacy
Half iBook screen dimmer!!

Hi my friend has the same rev iBook as me 12", Radeon 9550 model. However today I noticed that the left part of the screen is dimmer than the right despite the machine being newer than mine by three months (purchased in November)! Has anyone else suffered from this problem with the iBooks? I'm worried that if it is a common problem it might occur on my own too!

Thanks
__________________
MacBook Pro 13": 2.7GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
PowerBook G4 12": 1.33Ghz, 1.25GB RAM, 60GB Stock
iPhone 4S 16GB Black on Virgin UK
Legacy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:08 PM   #2
tinydragon123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy
Hi my friend has the same rev iBook as me 12", Radeon 9550 model. However today I noticed that the left part of the screen is dimmer than the right despite the machine being newer than mine by three months (purchased in November)! Has anyone else suffered from this problem with the iBooks? I'm worried that if it is a common problem it might occur on my own too!

Thanks
I have the same problem with my screen, except it's just dimmer on the bottom edges of the screen instead of on the left. And also, I have the last model: 12" and 1.2 Ghz.
tinydragon123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Legacy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydragon123
I have the same problem with my screen, except it's just dimmer on the bottom edges of the screen instead of on the left. And also, I have the last model: 12" and 1.2 Ghz.
I thought Apple are reliable..they better replace the screen or bulb or whatever, I am going with him tomorrow to Apple store..am going to ask for a check on mine too because I feel uncomfortable now. Do they service machines bought online (from Apple) there too or is it just machines bought from the Apple store? My friends is standard mine is BTO from Apple online
__________________
MacBook Pro 13": 2.7GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
PowerBook G4 12": 1.33Ghz, 1.25GB RAM, 60GB Stock
iPhone 4S 16GB Black on Virgin UK
Legacy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:30 PM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sorry for your trouble...but please try to remember that there is *NO* manufacturer, nor has there ever been, who has never sold a computer hardware product that has had at least some bad units. Apple's defect rate is lower, and their customer service scores higher, than most anyone. But they also use many industry standard components. It isn't possible with the current state of technology and manufacturing, for them to offer you a completely zero percent chance of product defect.

They should be fine about fixing it for you. I'm sure they'd be happy to look at yours, too, although if you can't see a problem, I doubt in this case that they could either. Good luck!
__________________
Mohan
mkrishnan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 01:24 PM   #5
SiliconBear
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Have u got it fixed?

I got mine in June 2005 from Amazon. And I had this problem in around Oct. The problem seems to be more significant when the LCD is still cold (just booted-up or so). I got it fixed without any problem at that time. I actually was happy with the service.

Since last month, I can see the problem is gradually coming back. But, it is not as serious as last time, i.e., I can only notice it for like 30-60 mins after booting ibook on. I talked to an engr. but this time they couldn't see the issue.

What's really furstrating is my 1-year term is up. And I think I can not avoid applecare when seeing this coming. :-(

I still love my iBook, but I would rather get the 14'' version instead cuz people have been talking about the LCD quality difference between them.

Good Luck to you!
Cheng


Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy
I thought Apple are reliable..they better replace the screen or bulb or whatever, I am going with him tomorrow to Apple store..am going to ask for a check on mine too because I feel uncomfortable now. Do they service machines bought online (from Apple) there too or is it just machines bought from the Apple store? My friends is standard mine is BTO from Apple online
SiliconBear is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dimmer on the top part of the screen rodetrip iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Apr 10, 2014 04:07 PM
iPhone: lower/dimmer screen brightness threshold kenix Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Jan 20, 2014 12:11 AM
My iMac monitor keeps flickering and then screen gets dimmer. johnrgarland iMac 1 Apr 28, 2013 05:21 PM
iMac 21.5 (mid 2011) Yellow Bottom Half of screen pinker top half. stelee iMac 0 Oct 9, 2012 08:57 AM
rMBP with dimmer screen than previous MBP? iViking MacBook Pro 11 Jun 28, 2012 11:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC