Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Hi,

I live in a small town in Montana. The music stations around here are next to bad. So wanting a FM tunner kit for the iPod is pointless. I get by with a really inexpensive iTrip-like device in my truck. However, our small town for the most part is cover by Wi-Fi. Wouldn't it be nice to have a wireless iPod that take advantage of Wi-Fi or perhaps Wi-Max in the near future? Imagine thousands of music site on the web in the palm of your hand! I know that there are technical issue with Wi-Fi and battery life, but I think this is the next logical iPod. At least it would persuade me to purchase a new one.

What do you guys think? Is this possible in the next year or two?

Cinch

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Isn't this already what the satellite music companies are doing?

I really don't think this will happen with iPods over wifi. Who would run the iTunes libs to send music? Random whomevers? What about the issues of legality and DRMs?

Supposedly future iPods will have an FM receiver. Yay.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
With G4 cellular it would be possible. Dont know how good the sound quality would be. Its possible to some extent now , but cost prohibitive.

Id still rather listen to songs I definately want to hear from my library. Terrestrial radio sucks for the most part.

FCC + PMRC + RIAA + Money Grubbing Crappy POP bands + DJ with no balls = crap radio

If I ever hear Opeth on the radio Ill know I have died.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
yellow said:
Isn't this already what the satellite music companies are doing?

I really don't think this will happen with iPods over wifi. Who would run the iTunes libs to send music? Random whomevers? What about the issues of legality and DRMs?

Supposedly future iPods will have an FM receiver. Yay.

The subscription model is not really what I had in mind, but your point is well taken.

I'm only talking about internet radio, as for sending out your music library that would totally be up to you.

Cinch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.