Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 10, 2014, 03:25 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Flagship Apple Store in Brisbane, Australia to Open January 17




Apple's long-awaited retail store in Brisbane, Australia in the MacArthur Chambers building is finally set to open on Friday, January 17. Though the Brisbane store was announced more than two years ago, problems with contractors and the historical site prevented construction from beginning until 2013.

The store is located in the famous MacArthur Chambers building, a 10-story high-rise that was originally constructed back in 1934. Building plans indicated that Apple made some minor changes to the structure, adding windows, a stairway, and other features.

With the addition of MacArthur Apple Store, there will be a total of four retail locations in Brisbane, Australia's third most populous city. The other locations are in Carindale, Chermside, and Robina.

Hiring for the store first began back in November, leading to speculation that a store opening was imminent. Back in December, MacRumors received several photos of the store, which looked to be nearing completion.

The store will open on Friday, January 17 at 10 a.m., and both workshop reservations and Genius Bar appointments are already being accepted on the location's website.

Article Link: Flagship Apple Store in Brisbane, Australia to Open January 17
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 03:29 PM   #2
the8thark
macrumors 68030
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I will be there bright and early on Friday and be in line to see the store and hopefully get a free t-shirt also. Thanks for the news.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 04:24 PM   #3
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, California
Seems that time-zone wise, it will be (one of) the first location to sell the iPhone 6.
But I guess since they already have 2 other stores, it's not too special.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB iPad Mini with Retina Mac Mini (2011) 256gb SSD 16gb ram Apple TV 3
darkslide29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:13 PM   #4
sshambles
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
I leave Brisbane for one week (relocation for work) after 29 years of living there and this happens... #ohtheirony

Should be a nice store. Big space and area.
__________________
iPhone 5, iPods, iPad 3, TV, 27"iMac, iPod HiFi.
sshambles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:20 PM   #5
the8thark
macrumors 68030
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshambles View Post
I leave Brisbane for one week (relocation for work) after 29 years of living there and this happens... #ohtheirony

Should be a nice store. Big space and area.
I'll take photos and put them on the website here for everyone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslide29 View Post
Seems that time-zone wise, it will be (one of) the first location to sell the iPhone 6.
But I guess since they already have 2 other stores, it's not too special.
You don't know the location. The interior of this place is huge. The other 2 Queensland stores are tiny by comparison. Just shopping centre booths. How Apple make best use of the space and make the insides really look good and keep the exterior historically relevant to the times the building was built will all be nice to see.

Product wise though it's just an Apple store, not much to see, I'll take my photos and go I guess.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:48 PM   #6
ozie
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
there are 3 other Apple stores in Queensland already, not 2..
You forgot about the Robina store

So there will be a total of 4 Apple stores..
ozie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 07:22 PM   #7
macs4nw
macrumors 68000
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Not envious here, but with roughly 22.6 million people, and 21 Apple stores, fwiw our friends down under have the highest # of Apple stores per capita, even more than the US with 254 stores for well over 316 million people.
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....
macs4nw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:32 PM   #8
the8thark
macrumors 68030
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Not envious here, but with roughly 22.6 million people, and 21 Apple stores, fwiw our friends down under have the highest # of Apple stores per capita, even more than the US with 254 stores for well over 316 million people.
Australia probably has the largest average distance between Apple stores in the same country as well.

Also
50 states in the USA. So on average that's 5 stores in each US state.
7 states and territories in Australia. So on average that is 3 stores per state/territory.

The US has 2 more stores per state then Australia has. And Australia's states are much larger.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:36 PM   #9
SurferPup
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia
Red Tape

I heard that this Apple Store would have opened sooner if it weren't for the bureaucratic nonsense of Brisbane City Council and Queensland State Government.
SurferPup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 09:13 PM   #10
Smigit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslide29 View Post
Seems that time-zone wise, it will be (one of) the first location to sell the iPhone 6.
On a global level, yes. As far as Australia goes, when Day Light savings kicks in Brisbane is 1 hour behind the rest of East Coast Australia. Depending when the products ship, it could be behind a few of the other cities (only just though). It wouldn't have mattered last year with the September 20 date, but I imagine daylight savings was in effect for the iPad launches.

Not that one hour difference will kill too many people.
Smigit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 09:38 PM   #11
macs4nw
macrumors 68000
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Australia probably has the largest average distance between Apple stores in the same country as well.

Also
50 states in the USA. So on average that's 5 stores in each US state.
7 states and territories in Australia. So on average that is 3 stores per state/territory.

The US has 2 more stores per state then Australia has. And Australia's states are much larger.
Alright, but to be fair the US, in addition to being the birthplace of Apple, is also more densely populated than Australia; a quick search reveals 11 times as densely populated, in fact. And the bulk of your population is around the periphery of the Australian continent, with a heavy concentration in the South-East.
__________________
Due to my aversion to bragging and clichés, no words of wisdom to be found on this line.....

Last edited by macs4nw; Jan 10, 2014 at 09:50 PM.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 09:44 PM   #12
wikiverse
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferPup View Post
I heard that this Apple Store would have opened sooner if it weren't for the bureaucratic nonsense of Brisbane City Council and Queensland State Government.
Apple wanted to put a big glass box around the exterior and heavily modify the heritage listed building.

It's not bureaucratic nonsense, the council is preserving one of the few historic buildings left in Brisbane. Apple would have happily demolished it and put up and ikea inspired glass box if they were allowed.
wikiverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:24 PM   #13
the8thark
macrumors 68030
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Alright, but to be fair the US, in addition to being the birthplace of Apple, is also more densely populated than Australia; a quick search reveals 11 times as densely populated, in fact. And the bulk of your population is around the periphery of the Australian continent, with a heavy concentration in the South-East.
That's totally fair. I agree with you. I was just crunching the numbers for curiosity's sake. And the majority of Australians live in on the east coast. Not just the south eastern part. This Brisbane Apple store is coming to the north eastern state.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferPup View Post
I heard that this Apple Store would have opened sooner if it weren't for the bureaucratic nonsense of Brisbane City Council and Queensland State Government.
Actually without the Queensland bureaucracy the store would have never happened. Here's the short version of it all.

1. A while back Apple hired contractors to do the Apple store here.
2. Contracting firm hired to do the Apple store went bankrupt and out of business.
3. Apple said that's that and gave up on the store as their subcontractors were bankrupt.
4. Queensland government told Apple, they had to leave the building in a certain state for the next tenants. Apple didn't want to pay all that money just to prep the building for someone else so they made up their mind to actually finish it and open it.
5. Keeping the outside of the building all historical like it always was, was always on the cards. Apple understands the local heritage of the buildings they use. This building is called the McArthur building because the General used it back in the day over 50 years ago.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:54 PM   #14
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Not So Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
That's totally fair. I agree with you. I was just crunching the numbers for curiosity's sake. And the majority of Australians live in on the east coast. Not just the south eastern part. This Brisbane Apple store is coming to the north eastern state.

----------


Actually without the Queensland bureaucracy the store would have never happened. Here's the short version of it all.

1. A while back Apple hired contractors to do the Apple store here.
2. Contracting firm hired to do the Apple store went bankrupt and out of business.
3. Apple said that's that and gave up on the store as their subcontractors were bankrupt.
4. Queensland government told Apple, they had to leave the building in a certain state for the next tenants. Apple didn't want to pay all that money just to prep the building for someone else so they made up their mind to actually finish it and open it.
5. Keeping the outside of the building all historical like it always was, was always on the cards. Apple understands the local heritage of the buildings they use. This building is called the McArthur building because the General used it back in the day over 50 years ago.

3 Apple found another builder and recommenced the build.
Apple and the BCC did not agree on the clean up the front of store, this meeting was held on the 17 June 2012 and work ceased that day. See BCC DA's for 233 255 Queen for DA in 2013 that allowed this.
4. Precision requested Apple return the site to a make good end of lease status, this went to court apparently although there is no record of this happening.
5. Macarthur Chambers is the name. Signage and the flag were a recent innovation. It is unlikely the previous council will have agreed to this.

Last edited by RichardOwens; Jan 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM.
RichardOwens is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 07:19 AM   #15
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Not envious here, but with roughly 22.6 million people, and 21 Apple stores, fwiw our friends down under have the highest # of Apple stores per capita, even more than the US with 254 stores for well over 316 million people.
Australia also has higher per capita Mac/Apple ownership, sales and revenue, than the US. Australia is know for early adoption of technology. I think there was a stat in 2012 that 1 in 4 Australians owned an iPhone.

And in this case, those in Cairns, Queensland's 4th largest city, would have to drive more than 1000 miles or 19 hours to their nearest Apple Store.

Numbers be crazy.
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:49 AM   #16
the8thark
macrumors 68030
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by albusseverus View Post
Australia also has higher per capita Mac/Apple ownership, sales and revenue, than the US. Australia is know for early adoption of technology. I think there was a stat in 2012 that 1 in 4 Australians owned an iPhone.

And in this case, those in Cairns, Queensland's 4th largest city, would have to drive more than 1000 miles or 19 hours to their nearest Apple Store.

Numbers be crazy.
According to population figures:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

- Cairns is the 14th largest city in Australia (not sure where you got 4th from.)
- City of Brisbane is the largest local government population wise in all of Australia. By a very long shot. Over 1 million (1,041,839 as of 2011).

This puts the 4th Apple store in Brisbane into perspective. The Brisbane local government area is huge area size. And the soon to be 4 Apple stores in QLD. None of them are very close. If Apple ever wanted to shut one down, one of the outlying ones would go. The flagship Brisbane one needs to stay.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:36 PM   #17
fredaroony
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
According to population figures:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

- Cairns is the 14th largest city in Australia (not sure where you got 4th from.)
- City of Brisbane is the largest local government population wise in all of Australia. By a very long shot. Over 1 million (1,041,839 as of 2011).

This puts the 4th Apple store in Brisbane into perspective. The Brisbane local government area is huge area size. And the soon to be 4 Apple stores in QLD. None of them are very close. If Apple ever wanted to shut one down, one of the outlying ones would go. The flagship Brisbane one needs to stay.
He said Queensland 4th largest city, not Australia's.

Last edited by fredaroony; Jan 11, 2014 at 02:37 PM.
fredaroony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:34 PM   #18
the8thark
macrumors 68030
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
He said Queensland 4th largest city, not Australia'a.
Hmmm my bad
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 08:50 PM   #19
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
This puts the 4th Apple store in Brisbane into perspective. The Brisbane local government area is huge area size. And the soon to be 4 Apple stores in QLD. None of them are very close. If Apple ever wanted to shut one down, one of the outlying ones would go. The flagship Brisbane one needs to stay.
Make that 3 in the Brisbane area.

Robina (and this must be boring overseas readers) is of course in Gold Coast city, the second largest city in Queensland, and sited first in Queensland, to serve Northern New South Wales/South East Queensland (including Brisbane at the time). Much as the discussion has been State based, the population area is split by the State border, in name only, there.

There were many years when Canberra, although small in population, the country's capital, did not have an Apple Store. And before that, Western Australia (you could add South Australia and Northern Territory, because they didn't have Apple Stores, either), taking it to well over half Australia's land mass (and less than a fifth of the population), didn't have an Apple Store.

Numbers be crazy. Australia be very different, most especially to the U.S.
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 02:57 AM   #20
dustbuny
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
This will be interesting to visit next time I'm in Australia!
Maybe by then the newer rMBP will be released!
dustbuny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:58 PM   #21
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Barricade Down

Store has no barricade presently ... all gone
RichardOwens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 02:04 PM   #22
glencoe
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Brisbane Store

The building looks remarkably similar to the Apple Store, Buchanan Street Glasgow.
http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/buchananstreet/
glencoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2014, 08:37 PM   #23
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by glencoe View Post
The building looks remarkably similar to the Apple Store, Buchanan Street Glasgow.
http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/buchananstreet/
Except that the Brisbane Central Store has the windows blacked out or light boxed for some reason
RichardOwens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:27 AM   #24
the8thark
macrumors 68030
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardOwens View Post
Except that the Brisbane Central Store has the windows blacked out or light boxed for some reason
Standard practice for Apple to black out windows before a store opening or major product launch. Nothing out of the ordinary there. On Friday, those of us who will be in attendance will see what it's like first hand with the black on the windows removed.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:59 PM   #25
RichardOwens
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Standard practice for Apple to black out windows before a store opening or major product launch. Nothing out of the ordinary there. On Friday, those of us who will be in attendance will see what it's like first hand with the black on the windows removed.
http://imgur.com/a/SCn8P

or have a look now via whirlpool
RichardOwens is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC