Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:24 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New iOS Swiping Keyboard Capable of 120WPM Speeds

App developer Yose Widjaja has created a new Swype-style keyboard designed to allow users to type with two hands using swipe gestures, and he's demoing the keyboard in his Hipjot note taking app.

Poised as a cross between both gesture-based Android keyboard Swype and the standard iOS keyboard, the Hipjot keyboard can be typed on like a regular keyboard, but it also supports two handed sliding between letters. That means users can type the letters of a word, such as "deviant" with two hands simultaneously in a single double loop gesture.

Because the keyboard allows users to both type normally and swipe through letters with one or two hands, it can result in some impressive typing speeds. Widjaja is able to reach peak speeds of 120 words per minute, which is higher than the predicted Swype typing speed of 50 words per minute.

While Swype, which is limited to Android, also allows for gesture-based typing, it does not let users type with two hands simultaneously nor does it allow users to switch between swipes and standard key entry.

Because the Hipjot keyboard incorporates dual entry methods, users have more control over the typing experience. It's also designed to be highly forgiving of inaccurate touches and it includes both selectable corrections based on input and a customizable dictionary. The developer wrote to MacRumors:
Quote:
With two finger inputs, you can be a lot more explicit in your touches, so it allows you to type without choosing what you want to type, most of the time, while retaining a comfortable swipe where you want to. One finger swipes are inferior in that words like "paraphernalia" forces your finger to go left/right so much.
Currently, Widjaja's Hipjot note-taking app is designed to serve as a way to show off his innovative keyboard.

While Widjaja is willing to work with other developers and would like to see his keyboard gain traction in iOS, custom keyboard implementation on the platform must be done on a per-app basis because Apple does not allow third-party keyboards to replace the default keyboard. While many iOS users would like to have the option to install keyboards like Swype, or Hipjot's own dual-swipe invention, Apple has yet to budge on the matter.

Some developers, such as those behind predictive keyboard Fleksy, have skirted Apple's rules by releasing an SDK for other developers to use, but custom keyboards like the one found in Hipjot are unlikely to catch on until Apple relaxes its rules.

The dual-swipe typing experience is currently limited to Widjaja's Hipjot note-taking app, which can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. The keyboard works as advertised, but the app itself, while functional, has a steep learning curve and a custom user interface that is difficult to decipher. The app is optimized for the iPhone 5 and later and is not recommended for older phones. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New iOS Swiping Keyboard Capable of 120WPM Speeds
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:25 AM   #2
johnnnw
macrumors 65816

Finally.

Swype is my favourite thing about Android.
johnnnw is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:26 AM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5

So the fastest keyboard comes back to the iPhone?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:33 AM   #4
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Perhaps IOS8 will finally open more areas of IOS for 3rd part development.
In any case he should stick this thing on Cydia for $1.99 it will sell like hotcakes.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:38 AM   #5
johnnnw
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEw View Post
In any case he should stick this thing on Cydia for $1.99 it will sell like hotcakes.
Maybe a few years ago. Jailbreaking is pretty dead compared to what it used to be. So few people do it now.
johnnnw is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:38 AM   #6
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

What is this sorcery ?!?

That is fast.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:41 AM   #7
I like bananas
macrumors member

Using the keyboard is probably the most frustrating thing about using my iPhone. I would love to see something like this making its way into iOS.
I like bananas is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:45 AM   #8
Carlanga
macrumors 603

It looks just a couple of words faster than what I can type w the regular keyboard

Anyways, why is this first page?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:52 AM   #9
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Every year everyone expects amazing things of iOS and new hardware, every year we hope (its what keeps us going).
saving107 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:53 AM   #10
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Dear Apple,
If you really love me, buy this company!
Cordially yours,
FP

P.S. Figure out a way to make recording portrait videos impossible.
AngerDanger is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:54 AM   #11
N64
Banned

This would be great to have in Terminal!
N64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:17 AM   #12
nazaar
macrumors 6502

Com'on Apple take chill pill. Relax the rules and open up the iPhone
nazaar is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:23 AM   #13
djgamble
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnnw View Post
Maybe a few years ago. Jailbreaking is pretty dead compared to what it used to be. So few people do it now.
Mmm...
Gotta say I'm a big fan of jailbreaking and that's my exact experience. Fewer and fewer apps are on Cydia nowadays. It's mainly cr@99y themes and useless utilities.

We are close to that stage where iOS' functionality/apps provide most of what people want. Not everything yet though
djgamble is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:27 AM   #14
toby00001
macrumors newbie

I just downloaded Hipjot to try out the keyboard. The keyboard itself is great, and I would love to see something similar come to iOS someday.

The app however...is worse than terrible.

After a couple of minutes of use I had found no less than 6 different menu systems, each one less intuitive than the last. 99% of this app's functionality is truly puzzling, the other 1% is a bizarrely unintuitive notepad with an inexplicable character limit...!

Download this app if you want to play with the keyboard, but good luck managing to take any notes.
toby00001 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:35 AM   #15
roasted
macrumors member

Oh neat. More features finally coming to iOS that have been available on Android forever now.

Yep. I said it.
roasted is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:51 AM   #16
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
It looks just a couple of words faster than what I can type w the regular keyboard
I believe you when you say you can type fast, but try to transcribe just a few minutes of a speech or lecture using the iOS keyboard.

Don't get me wrong, it's fairly accurate and consistent. I have typed papers on it before but "a few words faster" can improve the intelligibility of a transcription considerably, especially if they talk particularly fast (100-180 wpm for speech is not difficult to do, nor uncommon).
Disclaimer: I rarely, if ever, take notes in any of my classes.

Quote:
[Paraphrasing from MacRumors FAQ] "Because we thought people might find it interesting, we pick from a wide range of topics."
[Paraphrasing from MacRumors forum users] "Slow news day?"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roasted View Post
Oh neat. More features finally coming to iOS that have been available on Android forever now.

Yep. I said it.
Developers have been able to design their own keyboards for iOS apps for a long time, nothing has actually changed yet and I doubt Apple has any plans of allowing an actual global keyboard change so I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:52 AM   #17
fedecape
macrumors 6502

just bought the app. The UI is way too complicated, but the keyboard is awesome. I'd have preferred a plain and simple note app to replace the default notes app.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:57 AM   #18
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Does it really bother you?

Cause honestly, I got way to much going on to wonder why why MacRumors decides to post a certain story on the front page or whatever. But hey, whatever interests you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roasted View Post

Yep. I said it.
Watch, if/when Apple allows this on the iPhone, they're gonna say Android copied Apple or some other nonsense like that. Oh, and it'll be "innovative."

No but really, this is such a great feature of Android. It can save a lot of time typing. Hopefully Apple loosens the grip on their OS a bit.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:05 AM   #19
melscar
macrumors newbie

"nor does it allow users to switch between swipes and standard key entry."

Not sure what this means exactly - Swype doesn't require you to use gesture input to enter a word; you can still tap them out if you want. No need to switch anything.
melscar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:07 AM   #20
osaga
macrumors 6502

Having the hands of a human man, and a little iphone 5, I find it hard to use two thumbs. It's a huge speed disadvantage and makes me appear deficient mostly to ladies but also to some male friends with pretty delicate hands.
osaga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:13 AM   #21
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by melscar View Post
"nor does it allow users to switch between swipes and standard key entry."

Not sure what this means exactly - Swype doesn't require you to use gesture input to enter a word; you can still tap them out if you want. No need to switch anything.
I think what was meant is that this allows you to mix swipe and taps in a single word.

arn
arn is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:54 AM   #22
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

The one area where typing on an Android device had an advantage, is now coming to iPhones, on steroids no less. Impressive! I wonder if Hipjot will be released for Android as well?

Apple should hire Widjaja. Nah, he'll probably make more money writing winning Apps such as this one.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:19 AM   #23
KiiD
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Heck yeah! I second that. I will definitely buy this for 2$ Off cydia. Swype was my favorite thing about android. I would love for it to be on iOS.
KiiD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:23 AM   #24
Ori
macrumors 6502

It's such a shame apple will never allow this as a global keyboard. I don't even know if i like this type of writing, but I would like to have the option to try it and use it if I like it. Not just limit it to one app.

Come on apple.
Ori is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 04:29 AM   #25
Piggie
macrumors 601

Indeed two pointless and honestly frustrating lock downs.

1: No 3rd party keyboards installed (I used to 3rd party ones on my Palm5 years before Apple)

2: No 3rd party default web browsers allowed.

Thankfully now that over controlling person had gone, Apple can move forward as a company and stop treating it's consumers like children who would not understand anything other that what he deemed they should be using.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion