Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsdbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
San Francisco, California
Hello,

I currently own this system:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP667

with 2.9ghz and 1tb HDD.

I am looking to add a Blade SSD on the blade SSD slot. I have read numerous threads about this on the forum and there is no clear information about which blade SSD would likely work on that slot. What i know is - any rMBP blade SSD should work. However, i am not too sure which one. I have written to a few sellers on ebay asking about this and majority of them are not sure about it.

Anyone had any experience with installing a blade SSD recently? Which one did you go for etc ... Any and every information would be hugely helpful.

Thank you

-B

dtjay7

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
N. CA
I have the same question. I have a late 2012 MBPr 13" that came with a 128gb that I am upgrading to a 256gb. Can I use that SSD from the 2012 MBPr in my 2012 iMac?

bsdbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
San Francisco, California
I have the same question. I have a late 2012 MBPr 13" that came with a 128gb that I am upgrading to a 256gb. Can I use that SSD from the 2012 MBPr in my 2012 iMac?

I just finished my upgrade. I managed to get a Apple/Samsung retina macbook pro 256gb Blade SSD for $150 (thank you craigslist) and plugged into to my imac. It works like a charm and out of the box. No config changes necessary. Just make sure that you are using the right tools for this. Its really very easy to upgrade if you have the right tools at your disposal. Dont even think about using the heat gun or any credit card. I was able to finish my upgrade in about 60 mins.

Any retina macbook pro blade ssd would work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 6.58.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 6.58.14 PM.png
    17 KB · Views: 248

dtjay7

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
N. CA
I just finished my upgrade. I managed to get a Apple/Samsung retina macbook pro 256gb Blade SSD for $150 (thank you craigslist) and plugged into to my imac. It works like a charm and out of the box. No config changes necessary. Just make sure that you are using the right tools for this. Its really very easy to upgrade if you have the right tools at your disposal. Dont even think about using the heat gun or any credit card. I was able to finish my upgrade in about 60 mins.

Any retina macbook pro blade ssd would work.

Thanks, I have ordered the iFixit set with the Adhesive strips and the rolling opening tool. I am very happy to hear it went well. What tools did you use?

mml78

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
SSD blade 512GB from SanDisk

Once o didn't find to much information about this i want to share that a few days ago I upgraded my iMac 27 Late 2012 with a Sandisk blade SSD 512GB and it works like a charm. It is not so expensive like the ones from Samsung. It was removed from a macbook pro retina 2012. Most dificult thing is open and close de entire Imac :D

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Does anyone have an XP941 in their late 2012 iMac?

If so, I'm curious what sort of throughput you get. The Xp941 is significantly faster than the Sandisk in a PCIe X3 compatible M.2 slot.

mml78

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
Does anyone have an XP941 in their late 2012 iMac?

If so, I'm curious what sort of throughput you get. The Xp941 is significantly faster than the Sandisk in a PCIe X3 compatible M.2 slot.

This is what i have ( dont know if this is the best sftware to test, if you want another let me know)

This was made in my Imac 27 2012 with Yosemite, Core i7, and the original Apple SSD (Sandisk 512GB)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.