Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I know they fix the laptop for you, but I heard that they sometimes replace the entire laptop if the problem can't be solved.
Is this true?
Share your stories!

Gman021

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
My 2011 11" i7 Macbook air wasn't replaced, and it took about a week for them to fix. I was hoping/expecting a new computer, but didn't care too much.

Needed new airport card, clamshell screen, flex cable, and i/o assembly.

My computer was working fine, but I had AppleCare, so I went in and got it all fixed because I could.

NocturnalJazz

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
My white iBook had the same screen blemish issue 3 times in a row. At that point they replaced it.

3 exact repairs= Looper = new device

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
So at first I have to say, that there is no Apple Store in Austria, so we need to go to Apple Service Provider to get our stuff fixed. Some of them are good, some not. Main problem is, that they don't repair stuff here, but have to send it to vienna (capital city) or germany! But this thread is about applecare so here the story:

My girlfriends 2011 15" MBP had a few issues:
Failed HD - 1 week to change it
misaligned screen - 1 week to fix
However it came back with the wrong (standard not Hi Def screen) so again, 1 week to change it
Her power supply broke, we went to the other Apple Service Provider - (brought it there on friday evening, they said they had to send it to germany, got it back on monday!)
Then here graphics chip had a few issues - motherboard was replaced (again this was the second Service Provider): 2 days)

All this was under apple care but then:
oktober 2013, her power supply failed again. went to the fist (slow) service provider (don't know why I did it). After 2 week it was still under repair (MBP without power supply is useless).
I called Applecare and they tried to fix it, but the Service Provider was just not very cooperative. I got called back and they said: the machine had too many problems in general, they are going to exchange it, if she preferred a 2012 cMBP or rMBP. Went for the rMBP. The next day the late 2013 rMBP were released - got another call just to inform us, that she would get the new model.
She said, she is buying applecare again for the new model ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.