Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Is there any way to network a Mac OS 9.1 and OSX mavericks?

I am able to share files from my Power Mac G5 running OSX 10.5.8 to my PM 8600 running Mac OS 9.1. When I try to connect to my G5's IP in the OS 9 "Chooser" it connects and can browse my G5's HDD without issue, over my Airport network. :D

However, when I try to connect to my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.9.1 running an identical file server with identical settings, it tells me it has an incompatible version of AFP (Apple File-share Protocol). :(

I know that Apple removed lots of old networking features in Mavericks, including even FTP! :mad:
Clearly, Maverick's version of AFP is just too modern for Mac OS 9 to handle.

So my question is, is there any work around with perhaps a 3rd party app on my MacBook, for it to share it's files to my 8600, while running Mavericks? :confused:

kilowattradio

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
Oregon
Is there any way to network a Mac OS 9.1 and OSX mavericks?

I am able to share files from my Power Mac G5 running OSX 10.5.8 to my PM 8600 running Mac OS 9.1. When I try to connect to my G5's IP in the OS 9 "Chooser" it connects and can browse my G5's HDD without issue, over my Airport network. :D

However, when I try to connect to my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.9.1 running an identical file server with identical settings, it tells me it has an incompatible version of AFP (Apple File-share Protocol). :(

I know that Apple removed lots of old networking features in Mavericks, including even FTP! :mad:
Clearly, Maverick's version of AFP is just too modern for Mac OS 9 to handle.

So my question is, is there any work around with perhaps a 3rd party app on my MacBook, for it to share it's files to my 8600, while running Mavericks? :confused:

If you find that they can no longer work with each other you should investigate the use of NFS to allow the two macs to communicate. Both Macs still run BSD Unix so you can use those tools to be able to share files together. I bought an old computer to use Linux to run NFS with PC's, Laptops and desktops running different OS's and versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.