Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexpizza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Hi all ,

I'm getting a filevault error when trying to login to my account.
I recently deleted a sparse bundle using disk inventory x but i did a backup before deleting.

Unfortunatley when i try and boot up from a time machine backup I keep getting the "unable to login to filevault user account"

I'm in aright pickle as i have no access to my home folder.
Please help!!!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Option key boot and select the recovery partition on the Time Machine drive. Then open Disk Utility and select your drive then in the File menu select Unlock drive. That should get you into the Time Machine encrypted backup so you can restore.

Alexpizza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Filevault error

Thanks weasel ,
but how do I select the the recorvery partition on the time machine??
I dont see that option?
On the osx utilities screen do i go into restore from time machine or straight into disk utility ???
Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks weasel ,
but how do I select the the recorvery partition on the time machine??
I dont see that option?
On the osx utilities screen do i go into restore from time machine or straight into disk utility ???
Thanks

If you hold the option key as you boot with the TM disk attached, you should see it listed there as a boot option. It won't say recovery... it will just be there as a boot option named whatever you named your backup.

Once that starts you will be in the OS X recovery utilities screen then just follow the instructions in my earlier post. You will need to use Disk Util from that screen first to unlock the drive, then you should be able to restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.