Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I use Mavericks, Macbook late 2008, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD (free 60 GB)

I try to open
iTunes = 25 seconds
Photo Booth = 20 seconds

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
That sounds pretty slow. My apps open almost instantly on my 2010 MBP, but I have an SDD in it, which made an enormous difference. My daughter has a 2012 MBP with an HDD. When I use her's it feels really slow when opening apps, but I never timed them.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
25s to open iTunes is not normal, although I was getting something like 6-8 secs on 2011 iMac with 24 GB RAM (!!). If you can, buy a SSD, it WILL speed up things HUGELY. It will help much more than buying more RAM.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
25 sec to open iTunes is not normal.

Use Disk Utility (Applications / Utilities) to check / repair the disk and repair the permissions, restart the Mac. What is the delay now ?

XPcentric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
25 sec to open iTunes is not normal.

Use Disk Utility (Applications / Utilities) to check / repair the disk and repair the permissions, restart the Mac. What is the delay now ?

Thank you, I did that and its much better. The first time I launched iTunes took 11 seconds, but after I quit it, each time I launch it again it takes less 3 seconds, just like in Apple store.

I think another important thing before was the number of applications open at one time, especially many Firefox tabs, which include some add-ons as well. And the fact that I almost never shut down or restart the Macbook.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I think another important thing before was the number of applications open at one time, especially many Firefox tabs, which include some add-ons as well. And the fact that I almost never shut down or restart the Macbook.
Yes, you are right.

I would also suggest to use "Maintenance" from time to time : it's very easy to use and can't hurt anything.
(Maintenance checks the disk and repairs the permissions as Disk Utility does).

See Titanium Software : http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadmaintenance.php

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.