Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

easybullet3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I have an XVID Movie which I play (through my laptop) on to my LARGE Plasma TV. the picture is great !!! (of course its not perfect,, but its good).

as soon as I burn that xvid to DVD (using Toast version 11) the quality of the Movie drops by about 30 or 40% !!!

ALSO: the size of the movie file INCREASES about three-times the size !!!

how is this even possible ??

The file size increases three-fold, and the quality drops by about 30% !!!

- please dont tell me about xvid being a low quality codec because I already have said that I play the movie from my computer onto my LARGE SCREEN PLASMA TV.. and the quality is just fine.
but its a hassle to bring my laptop to the TV every time.

I want to know how I can improve the quality of Toast DVD burning.
or, is there better software out there ?

Thanks ;)

Nov 28, 2010
located
XVID is an MPEG-4 codec like DIVX or H.264 and is pretty advanced and offers quite acceptable visual quality at low bit rates and thus smaller file sizes.
Video DVDs use MPEG-2, which is an older codec and not as advanced as MPEG-4, thus the increase in file size (a video DVD containing a 120 minute movie and 30 minutes of extras is often between 6 and 8,5 GB in size) and depending on what exact settings you set in whatever Toast version, the decrease in visual quality is normal, as you use an already compressed source to get a more compressed target, even if the file size does not represent that.

You could post the settings you used in Toast and we could help you to correct them or you could invest your time and even money to look at other options of how to play XVID (mostly .avi files probably?) on your TV.
Or you switch to other sources for your entertainment content and get .mp4 files and an Apple TV.

To learn more about those differences in codecs and containers:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.