Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 28, 2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Nspace
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Nspace
Powerbook G4 weak airport

I have a powerbook g4 thats about a year and a half old, 1.5 ghz, and ever since I got it, I have found the airport to be extremely weak.

I have been in locations with lots of other pc users, and also mac users (using the exact same laptop), and they all have strong signals etc, and mine is always weak. I have even had in alot of cases where friends on powerbooks will pick up like 4 or 5 different access points on the airport menu, and I will have like 2.

Add this to the list of problems I have had including white spots on my screen, dead pixel on the replacement screen, and the screen hinge that creeks like crazy.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this would be appreciated.

Tom
Nspace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:01 PM   #2
super_kev
macrumors 6502

I know that on the old Titanium PB G4s, the signal was weak because it couldn't get through the metal shell of the laptop. My new 12" PB has some rubber spots on the side of the screen where the antennas are, and that helps signal strength. You might want to check your antenna wire that plugs into the airport card and make sure that it's secure. If possible (and I'm not sure on these new ones) you might want to try taking it out and plugging it back in. Or, it could have been a defect in the card or antennas from the factory.
super_kev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:18 AM   #3
law guy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace
I have a powerbook g4 thats about a year and a half old, 1.5 ghz, and ever since I got it, I have found the airport to be extremely weak.

I have been in locations with lots of other pc users, and also mac users (using the exact same laptop), and they all have strong signals etc, and mine is always weak. I have even had in alot of cases where friends on powerbooks will pick up like 4 or 5 different access points on the airport menu, and I will have like 2.

Add this to the list of problems I have had including white spots on my screen, dead pixel on the replacement screen, and the screen hinge that creeks like crazy.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this would be appreciated.

Tom
The fact that other PB users in the same spots are getting a stronger signal is interesting and is the apparent clue that there might be an actual issue with your laptop versus other of the same type. I would have a service person check it out.

My PB 15" 1.5" is of older vintage (May 2004) is a little picky with signals. It led me to get an extra express unit for my house b/c the base station wasn't doing enough of a job by itself to get the signal far / strong enough for it. I've noted that if I turn it one way in the living room it has a much stronger signal than if it is turned another - things like that. My think pad seems to do a little better with its build in wi-fi, but it's not at all a significant difference.

Good luck getting the issue resolved.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:29 AM   #4
mjstew33
macrumors 601

Alot of people have problems with Airport signal on PowerBooks, it's a known problem. Don't bother calling Apple, they'll just say you need to reformat the hard drive and put Tiger back on. If you really want some one good, say you've already done that. Because 90-95% of the time, reformatting won't do ****.

Last edited by bousozoku; Dec 30, 2005 at 10:15 PM. Reason: don't circumvent the profanity filter
mjstew33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:50 AM   #5
Daedalus256
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Daedalus256
Your hinge creaks too? Haha I thought that was only mine. It worried me the first time I got it but I'm fine with it now.

As for your weak airport signal it's a known issue. Hell, I'll be sitting at the table next to my wireless router and I'll sometimes only have three bars. I've had many occassions where it really seems like the signal should be much stronger. Not to mention that since my signal never gets past like 60% I can't really play anything online with it because I'll ping around 150.
Daedalus256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Nspace
macrumors regular

Yeah its weird. My friend gets this local connection as does everyone else in his aprtment from this local pub. He gets a realtively strong signal too, like 3 bars. It won't even appear on my list. Whats really annoying is that in the computer labs at my university, the signal is always really weak and I have trouble grabbing my files off my server that I need for class because I keep loosing the connection where as other people can connect fine. My friends 12" powerbook which was purchased at the same time as mine gets a much stronger signal.

Its so frustrating and I am starting to wonder about this wire that connects to the antennas too.

Yeah the hinge creaks like crazy every since they had to replace my screen. I hate it because it puts pressure on certain points of the powerbook and I am affraid it will weaken areas of the lid where you can sort of see it flexing, it must be too tight.

Is there a way to loosen it just a tad?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:16 PM   #7
super_kev
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspace
Is there a way to loosen it just a tad?
Not that I know of.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:00 PM   #8
ortuno2k
macrumors 6502a

The signal in my sig PB is fairly week too.
I get different strenghts depending where I am in my house.
Oh well...
ortuno2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:06 PM   #9
Nspace
macrumors regular

My dad on his thinkpad can get about 20 more feet through an exterior wall than I can with my Powerbook. He can be sitting down outside on the back patio and get a signal where as I still have trouble getting a signal just inside the door to go outside.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:34 PM   #10
amemoryoncelost
macrumors 6502

My powerbook had a creaking problem as well. I really had no idea what was wrong with it and yeah, scary. I ended up getting rid of it and the guy I sold it to had never seen it before either. Limited edition powerbooks I think!!!
amemoryoncelost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:33 PM   #11
metalgearmac
macrumors member

For you people with weak wifi signals you might want to try this out
http://http://www.instructables.com/...29001143E7E506
metalgearmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:45 PM   #12
super_kev
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgearmac
For you people with weak wifi signals you might want to try this out
http://http://www.instructables.com/...29001143E7E506
Fixed link Pretty nifty site; don't know if I want to cut up my PB though.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 05:42 PM   #13
Zoli
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Zoli Send a message via Skype™ to Zoli
Oh my gosh I didn't think this was such a huge problem, its such a pissoff! My friend sits in the same room I do and he gets the internet during clas... arrggh why can't my school get wifi?????

I really wish there was like an amplifier or something that you could just strap under yout battery, like those cellphone things.
Zoli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:32 AM   #14
Burnlem
macrumors newbie

airport antenna wire

just realized it's been a LONG time since the last post -

I accidentally realized my reception went to full when my PB lid was almost closed, but dropped to about 20% when I opened it fully - I suspect the cable is worn, and when I shut it, it's making a better connection -

anyone else seeing this? any ideas on replacing the antenna?

thanks
Burnlem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:38 AM   #15
frimple
macrumors 6502

Awesome

Resurrecting a thread that should have been moved anyways

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs