Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
This really kind of makes me regret purchasing a 5S a few weeks ago. The main reason I didn't go for Android was because I didn't want to compromise power for size. I prefer smaller phones.

If I had known about the Z1 compact, I very well would have waited around to purchase it.

Oh well, maybe next time. I'm happy with my 5S btw.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Its great to see some Android phones under 5" that offer high end specs. I am hoping this phone does well.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Its great to see some Android phones under 5" that offer high end specs. I am hoping this phone does well.

Nexus 5, HTC One, Galaxy S4, Moto X, Razr HD Maxx, Nexus 4 are all 5" or under. Of course the Moto G may not be considered top of the line, but I also wouldn't consider it a crap low end junker either.

I reserve judgement on the Z1, until after we see if it is any good on the user side of the equation.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Nexus 5, HTC One, Galaxy S4, Moto X, Razr HD Maxx, Nexus 4 are all 5" or under. Of course the Moto G may not be considered top of the line, but I also wouldn't consider it a crap low end junker either.

I reserve judgement on the Z1, until after we see if it is any good on the user side of the equation.

I would not consider any of those compact phones.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I would not consider any of those compact phones.

Gotta agree. I recently traded in my S4 for a Moto X and I really forgot how big of a difference the last .3 inches makes in terms of comfort. Maybe I have comparably small hands, but 5 inch phones are just too large for me. 4.7 works great, though.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Gotta agree. I recently traded in my S4 for a Moto X and I really forgot how big of a difference the last .3 inches makes in terms of comfort. Maybe I have comparably small hands, but 5 inch phones are just too large for me. 4.7 works great, though.

It's really interesting though.

Since going from iPhone 5 to and S4, I've loved the screen but as you say, that extra 0.3 inches def makes a difference in handling.

BUT I like that.

I like that I can't just always do everything with one hand. It actually puts me off picking up my phone 1000 times a day. And there is even a notification light which means I don't have to pick it up to check stuff.

It's actually made me realise how annoyingly addictive smartphones are, and I actually quite like that the 5" phones are subtly putting me off overusing them.

Strange, I know.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's really interesting though.

Since going from iPhone 5 to and S4, I've loved the screen but as you say, that extra 0.3 inches def makes a difference in handling.

BUT I like that.

I like that I can't just always do everything with one hand. It actually puts me off picking up my phone 1000 times a day. And there is even a notification light which means I don't have to pick it up to check stuff.

It's actually made me realise how annoyingly addictive smartphones are, and I actually quite like that the 5" phones are subtly putting me off overusing them.

Strange, I know.

Sounds like you would really benefit from a smart watch. I got a pebble about a month ago and rarely have to take my phone out. I get about 50 hangout chats a day (from work) that I do not need to respond to and a ton of emails I just archive.

It is really nice at home too b.c I do not feel like I have to have my phone attached to my hip. I can just leave it on the coffee table and free roam haha.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Sounds like you would really benefit from a smart watch. I got a pebble about a month ago and rarely have to take my phone out. I get about 50 hangout chats a day (from work) that I do not need to respond to and a ton of emails I just archive.

It is really nice at home too b.c I do not feel like I have to have my phone attached to my hip. I can just leave it on the coffee table and free roam haha.

Cool! Well I keep saying my ideal device would be a smart watch that combines with proper Nike FuelBand technology.

LG just launched something similar.

I've got to admit to an unhealthy attachment to my phone, and the S4 has helped me break the addiction :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Interested in seeing the price. Could very well be my next phone

"The $499.99 device — sold through Sony’s online portal — will ship with Android 4.3, with an update to KitKat in the weeks following its release."

That was something I was able to find just googling. I don't think it is official, but I would think it is right on.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think that it is great to see smaller phones that still have great specs. Look at the mini versions of the S4 and One and you'll see that both Samsung and HTC put in some lower specced components.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

Nexus 5 is 4.95", essentially 5". And the Z1 Compact has better specs than all the other ones you listed.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I think that it is great to see smaller phones that still have great specs. Look at the mini versions of the S4 and One and you'll see that both Samsung and HTC put in some lower specced components.

Yeah, I had considered them briefly before picking up the Moto X and was pretty put off. The mini devices seem to be last in line when it comes to updates as well. I'm very happy with the Moto X, but if it had been available a couple weeks ago I would have given it a good look. It sounds like exactly what I'd been asking for for the last 6 months.

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
This will be my next phone...
... if Sony Canada doesn't wet the bed by not offering it, unlocked and LTE capable, from their retail channel.

Last edited:

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
This will be my next phone...
... if Sony Canada doesn't wet the bed by not offering it, unlocked and LTE capable, from their retail channel.

I could swap the word 'Canada' in your post with 'USA' and I don't think anyone would blame me.

Sony doesn't have the greatest track record of releasing phones in North America over the last few years, sadly. I hope that changes though.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My only concern is that despite its smaller size generally - in photos, it looks thicker than the other xperias.

That being said this photo gives you a proper scale in comparison to iPhone

P1110869.JPG.jpg

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

The Nexus 5 is 4.99 in. Might as well categorise it as a 5 in phone.

----------

The first review I've seen for the device. Looks really good!

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Xperia-Z1-Compact-Review_id3547

I'm quite impressed with it! A more compact body but without compromising on hardware.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
After using phones with smaller screens (iPhone 4,5, Lumia 520 and others) and larger phones like the galaxy s4, Droid DNA, etc. I've decided 4.3-4.7 is the best screen for me. I have large gorilla hands and the smaller phones are hard to get a good hold on and type on. Likewise, I still use my phone for phone like things such as phone calls and texting and like things highly pocketable and stay out of the way. For me a phone is a tool and I don't play many games or create much content on it aside from emails. So something in between like the z1 compact would be ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.