Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:16 PM   #1
Chef Medeski
macrumors 6502a

HELP!!!! Undo deletion in Terminal

The idiot I am, I decided to practice my Unix commands by cleaning out my iPhoto Library. Well guess what I hit cd .. one too many times and then just deleted the last folder accesses, which means instead of deleting one day folder that was empty. I deleted a whole month of family vacation in JULY!!!! HELP!!! I looked in the Trash Can and nothing. I don't know what to do, why did I have to procrastinate in backing up my harddrive. SOMEONE HELP!!!!
Chef Medeski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:36 PM   #2
MacAficionado
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
The idiot I am, I decided to practice my Unix commands by cleaning out my iPhoto Library. Well guess what I hit cd .. one too many times and then just deleted the last folder accesses, which means instead of deleting one day folder that was empty. I deleted a whole month of family vacation in JULY!!!! HELP!!! I looked in the Trash Can and nothing. I don't know what to do, why did I have to procrastinate in backing up my harddrive. SOMEONE HELP!!!!
Sorry, no undo in terminal.

I take it, you don't back up.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Nermal

Step 1: STOP USING THE COMPUTER. Deleted files get overwritten by new data, and as long as you're using the system, new data is getting generated.

Step 2: Use a file-recovery tool. I think DiskWarrior can do this. It runs from its own CD and therefore doesn't overwrite your deleted files.
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:08 PM   #4
Flying Llama
macrumors 6502a

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR COMPUTER!

You see, when you delete a file, the computer actually only deletes it from the index. Your files are most probably still there!

The point? You need to buy Data Rescue II. It costs $99 but I'm sure it's worth your vacation pix. Good luck!
|..|__..|..|__..(____..../|__|__|..../..(____..../
|____/.|____/.........\./...........\./...........\./
Flying Llama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:59 PM   #5
Chef Medeski
macrumors 6502a

You have anything for free. Luckily I opened my iPod and noticed that instead of deleting a whole month it was actually only 20 pictures. I have the compressed versions on my iPod, so they are not totally lost, just compressed. So, if you have anything for free.
Chef Medeski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:09 AM   #6
tag
macrumors 6502a

I know this won't help you right now, but hopefully this will help you from doing this again. In your home directory (cd ~) edit your '.profile' file, or create it if you don't have it and add this line...

alias rm='rm -i'

That way, next time you delete something via 'rm' in terminal, you will be prompted asking you if you are sure, that way you can think about it for a second and recheck what you are deleting.

Or alternately you can do a bit of research and use alias and a logout script to create a trashcan type thing, where when you type 'rm' (via alias) you move the files to a temporary trashcan, say ~/.trash, instead of instantly deleting them, and then the logout script(executed through a .profile trap; a google search will explain how these work) would 'rm ~./trash' then 'mkdir ~/.trash' at logout cleaning out your trashcan when you logout.
tag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 03:38 AM   #7
greatdevourer
macrumors 68000

Or, if you know precisely what the folders/files are called, then you can try rm -w (I think - just check the man for it)
greatdevourer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming