Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mac Pro Deliveries Begin in Europe for First Time in Nearly a Year

Deliveries of Apple's redesigned Mac Pro have begun in Europe, marking the first time in nearly a year that customers there have been able to obtain the company's professional workstation, notes MacGeneration [Google Translate] (via 9to5Mac).

Sales of the previous-generation Mac Pro in Europe were halted as of March 1, 2013 due to new regulatory requirements regarding I/O port power and fan guard placement. Rather than update the aging machine to comply with the new regulation, Apple elected to withdraw the Mac Pro from sale at that time.

Orders for the new Mac Pro began in mid-December, and while the first deliveries of stock models occurred in the United States in time for Christmas, it took several more weeks before deliveries began in Europe.

Currently, Apple's stores in Europe and elsewhere list a ship date of February for new orders of the computer.

Update: This article has been revised to clarify that the halt to Mac Pro sales in Europe was a decision by Apple not to update the previous Mac Pro to comply with the new regulatory requirements. It was also edited to emphasize that deliveries of the new Mac Pro are just now beginning in Europe. The machine has been available to order since mid-December when it went on sale worldwide, but short supplies have led to lengthy lead time on orders.

Article Link: Mac Pro Deliveries Begin in Europe for First Time in Nearly a Year
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:25 AM   #2
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Well to be fair I bought mine 3 weeks ago and it arrived on Friday

UK is in Europe.
prowlmedia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:26 AM   #3
TjeuV
macrumors 6502

Unacceptable they left the pro-market so long without the possibility of purchasing a mac pro.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:27 AM   #4
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjeuV View Post
Unacceptable they left the pro-market so long without the possibility of purchasing a mac pro.
Well they chose to leave given the ruling by the EU (which I agree was silly of them).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:35 AM   #5
Oletros
macrumors 603

Not complying with a regulation is not the same as being banned.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:39 AM   #6
applegigs
macrumors member

Yea great and a base price of 4300$ would have much liked to buy the old one and upgrade it.
applegigs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:58 AM   #7
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Actually, the redesign was originally unveiled at WWDC in June 2013.
gwelmarten is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:09 AM   #8
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Did anyone think that the nMP would still be banned..?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:09 AM   #9
Frign
macrumors member

"Resume"

FRIGN.de
Frign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:41 AM   #10
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
Did anyone think that the nMP would still be banned..?
It's not. This is a very odd macrumors article. Makes no sense. It went on sale before the USA technically because of the time difference.

Slow news day?
prowlmedia is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:42 AM   #11
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure that the Mac Pro has been available for order from the UK online store from Thursday 19th December and in-store (in select stores) on demonstration from the 28th.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:44 AM   #12
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlmedia View Post
It's not. This is a very odd macrumors article. Makes no sense. It went on sale before the USA technically because of the time difference.

Slow news day?
Yeah it's been available for a couple of weeks now in Europe. Engadget posted this today, so......go figure.

slow news day = copy other tech site even if it's old news.

NOTE TO MODERATOR: WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS ARTICLE? nMP HAS BEEN ON SALE FOR WEEKS THROUGHOUT EUROPE.
osx11 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:48 AM   #13
jimthing
macrumors 6502

"Mac Pro Sales Resume in Europe After Previous Ban"

WHY IS THIS A STORY TODAY??

THE nMP was released 3 WEEKS AGO(!) in Europe along with almost everywhere else in the developed world. Why point out the fact 3 WEEKS after the event?!?

It was the OLD machine that was proscribed due to not meeting modern standards, so why on earth would the new one be banned anyway?!

A COMPLETELY DORK ARTICLE!

•wiki:Apple
jimthing is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:51 AM   #14
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx11 View Post
Yeah it's been available for a couple of weeks now in Europe. Engadget posted this today, so......go figure.

slow news day = copy other tech site even if it's old news.

NOTE TO MODERATOR: WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS ARTICLE? nMP HAS BEEN ON SALE FOR WEEKS THROUGHOUT EUROPE.
This is pointless media aggrigation at it's worst. The original 'article' has come from this guy...

http://en.gravatar.com/benjaminmayo

he's about 15.
prowlmedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
This is pointless media aggrigation at it's worst. The original 'article' has come from this guy...

http://en.gravatar.com/benjaminmayo

he's about 15.
He writes for 9to5Mac, the site that put up poll asking people if they like changes in beta software.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:14 AM   #16
praetorian909
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
That's just what I can name off the top of my head. I'm sure there have also been a number of convicted terrorists that we couldn't deport because of their human rights too, instead being looked after and put under armed guard at our (the taxpayers) expense.
I have to say, I am a bit peeved that my Mac mini auto-hibernates after 4 hours in standby after finding out it was because of European regulations. It's really slow to resume compared to waking, and so far I've not been able to disable it. (I briefly tried checking pmset but didn't find a way to prevent hibernation)

I'm definitely all in for saving energy, reducing carbon emissions, etc. But standby already uses very little power so forcing hibernate is a bit excessive in my mind (saving 0.93W). Meanwhile I've seen countless PCs in the workplace left on overnight (so say 5pm-8am next day) with the screen on and everything.

http://images.apple.com/environment/...r_july2011.pdf
praetorian909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:28 AM   #17
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
He writes for 9to5Mac, the site that put up poll asking people if they like changes in beta software.
"Writes" is stretching it a bit far. Reposting.

And No I don't like Beta software changes. I hate all improvement.

9to5 appears to have a website value of about $500k.... but macrumors... ****! I am in the wrong game completely. A forum and some media aggregating... holy crap.

http://247wallst.com/media/2009/11/1...gs-in-america/
prowlmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:36 AM   #18
Tech198
macrumors 601

Of course there "out of stock" ... already. Everyone wants one. Price is no object when it comes to performance...

Just look at the car industry to see what i mean.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:36 AM   #19
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
Enough of the arguing over volume and db levels.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:49 AM   #20
kis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well to be fair I bought mine 3 weeks ago and it arrived on Friday

UK is in Europe.
That's nice - I bought mine over a month ago and it still says "February" for the delivery date :-/

Last edited by OllyW; Jan 13, 2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: removed PRSI
kis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:57 AM   #21
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjeuV View Post
They ONLY left because the EU essentially banned the computer from sale. If you are so upset and feel the need to cast blame then send a nasty letter to the EU Parliment. But, I assume the enviro law which the old MP fell short is supported by most Europeans and thus ridding the EU countries of the MP was no oversight.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:01 AM   #22
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
Of course there "out of stock" ... already. Everyone wants one. Price is no object when it comes to performance...

Just look at the car industry to see what i mean.
Price is no object when cash is no object. For consumers that IS often a barrier to entry unless you are of the Richard Branson class. (For example how many people buy a BMW 4 cyl vs a 6cyl model because the latter is a few thousand more).

Businesses are a little more flexible, but it's not price is no object. A sustainable business has to be able to justify expensive capital outlays. A MP, expensive as it is, has to earn its keep as it were.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:04 AM   #23
kis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
They ONLY left because the EU essentially banned the computer from sale. If you are so upset and feel the need to cast blame then send a nasty letter to the EU Parliment. But, I assume the enviro law which the old MP fell short is supported by most Europeans and thus ridding the EU countries of the MP was no oversight.
They were "banned" for two reasons:

- the fan guards were deemed unsafe (apparently, small children could have gotten hurt)
- the heat-shielding around the electrical ports was deemed unsafe

While it was annoying that they had to stop selling the MP for such a long time, these are simple facts:

1. the EU had a reason to implement the new safety standards
2. Only minor adjustments were necessary to make the MP meet the standards again. Apple refused to make them.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:13 AM   #24
Star Brood
macrumors newbie

This would be news, and surprising, if Europe had NOT had it on sale until now. That's not the case. This article is click bait.
Star Brood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kis View Post
They were "banned" for two reasons:

- the fan guards were deemed unsafe (apparently, small children could have gotten hurt)
- the heat-shielding around the electrical ports was deemed unsafe

While it was annoying that they had to stop selling the MP for such a long time, these are simple facts:

1. the EU had a reason to implement the new safety standards
2. Only minor adjustments were necessary to make the MP meet the standards again. Apple refused to make them.
Did you not read what I wrote? I said EU banned them for a reason. As for Apple, it may have seemed like a "minor" adjustment but also, perhaps an expensive one. When a companies makes changes to a product it still has to go through extensive testing. That's $ Apple probably didn't think worth spending given the projected revenue from Euro sales going forward and the proximity of announcing a new MP. Simple cost/benefit. Apple doesn't exist for the convenience of its customers.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion