Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hey,
I installed beta 1 back in November and everything worked fine. I didn't install b2 or 3, last night everything was fine, this morning I want to read macrumors on the iPad and all it shows is an activation error because I'm not a developer...

I know one always installs betas on own risk etc. but why would it just stop working all of a sudden? What can I do now other than just resetting it to 7.0.4 and loose all my backups?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hey,
I installed beta 1 back in November and everything worked fine. I didn't install b2 or 3, last night everything was fine, this morning I want to read macrumors on the iPad and all it shows is an activation error because I'm not a developer...

I know one always installs betas on own risk etc. but why would it just stop working all of a sudden? What can I do now other than just resetting it to 7.0.4 and loose all my backups?

Betas expire. You must do a DFU restore.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Ok....weren't there ways to modify the backup file in order to be able to install it on 7.04? But In fact I believe I have only iCloud backups..

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok....weren't there ways to modify the backup file in order to be able to install it on 7.04? But In fact I believe I have only iCloud backups..

If that's the case you'll have to start from scratch. You can restore your 7.1 backup when 7.1 is released to the public in the next few months.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was wondering how many threads like this one we'll be seeing today.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I thought beta 2 is not possible to install as a non dev? Plus the problem with b1 was, I had to load the backup (of7.0.4) before loading the beta, because if I update, then load backup I would get the activation error..

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I thought beta 2 is not possible to install as a non dev? Plus the problem with b1 was, I had to load the backup (of7.0.4) before loading the beta, because if I update, then load backup I would get the activation error..

Correct, starting with Beta 2, there is no way to use the beta unless you are a registered developer. No tricks around it.

Your only choice is to restore to iOS 7.0.4. You will have to start from scratch and download your apps, etc..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
7.0.4 is just unbearable! Cmon Apple just release 7.1 already!
Let's not rush it and have it come out with some issues (even if it's better in general than what's out there now), only so that we can impatiently wait for another release to fix those issues.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
well I've got everything set up as new now.. and I hate looking at that nasty five finger safari closing gesture mess on my new ipad air :(

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
well I've got everything set up as new now.. and I hate looking at that nasty five finger safari closing gesture mess on my new ipad air :(

Restore to beta 2 or 3 jail break and modify plist to remove beta string and spoof 7.0.4 version. Then you do have to worry about expiration.

I don't blame you on the nastiness

GM shouldn't be too far away

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
iPad air on 7.0.4 is a flat out disservice. Jobs wouldn't have ever allowed this mess, sad to see that Cook did.

They should have fixed the poor animations and choppy UI before doing any of whatever else they are working on. Seeing as the betas are much improved in the animations dept. they could have released a 7.0.5 to tie us over.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPad air on 7.0.4 is a flat out disservice. Jobs wouldn't have ever allowed this mess, sad to see that Cook did.

They should have fixed the poor animations and choppy UI before doing any of whatever else they are working on. Seeing as the betas are much improved in the animations dept. they could have released a 7.0.5 to tie us over.
You think it would somehow speed up getting the changes? It's likely that the changes weren't small fixes and needed a larger release with more testing.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
You think it would somehow speed up getting the changes? It's likely that the changes weren't small fixes and needed a larger release with more testing.

Yea,I do think Apple could have fixed a lot of those animations already. They chose to release the iPad when they did. They showed they can hurry products when it makes them $$$. Looks like they found that they could sell a ton and THEN finish up the rest later.

I care most about the sticky UI. They could have done a small update, fixing some UI stuff for the time being.

I expect much more from them. I really do.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yea,I do think Apple could have fixed a lot of those animations already. They chose to release the iPad when they did. They showed they can hurry products when it makes them $$$. Looks like they found that they could sell a ton and THEN finish up the rest later.

I care most about the sticky UI. They could have done a small update, fixing some UI stuff for the time being.

I expect much more from them. I really do.
I agree that they should have fixed them sooner and probably shouldn't have had them to begin with. But what we can't really tell is whether or not it could really take some small release that they could have done quickly to address it all. Perhaps it does take a larger release to get in the necessary changes to really address that properly and without potentially creating other issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.