Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:07 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Griffin and ShopKeep POS Announce 'ShopKeep Mobile' POS Case for iPod Touch

Following the release of an iPad point-of-sale (POS) stand last year, accessory manufacturer Griffin and ShopKeep POS have once again partnered up to announce the ShopKeep Mobile, a specialized POS case designed for the iPod touch. Using Griffin's Olli technology and the ShopKeep POS app, the case features an encrypted credit card reader and laser barcode scanner to accept payments.

ShopKeep Mobile also comes with support for QuickBooks and the ability to create customer and item databases, along with the inclusion of an offline mode and printer support. The accessory can also email receipts to customers, with options to toggle discounts and sales tax also included.

Griffin also announced a partnership with Square at CES 2014 to release the Merchant Case + Square Reader for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5, which is a specialized case that integrates itself with Square's mobile card payment system for added convenience.

The ShopKeep Mobile accessory is in production beta and is expected to be available soon.

Article Link: Griffin and ShopKeep POS Announce 'ShopKeep Mobile' POS Case for iPod Touch
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Viddrumr32
macrumors newbie

It's probably just me and my immaturity, but still to this day my first thought when reading POS is piece/pile of s***.
Viddrumr32 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

The awkward moment when Apple drops the iPod Touch...
Klae17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:37 AM   #4
CHMK
macrumors regular

It'll be so awkward leaving the shop without checking out at the cashier though... Every shop will think ure stealing something and then u have to explain this new technology and demonstrate u have an emailed receipt...
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:40 AM   #5
lifesized
macrumors newbie

Chip and Pin?

What about chip and pin?
lifesized is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:11 AM   #6
KimJonNumberUn
Banned

POS? does that stand for piece of ****?
KimJonNumberUn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMK View Post
It'll be so awkward leaving the shop without checking out at the cashier though... Every shop will think ure stealing something and then u have to explain this new technology and demonstrate u have an emailed receipt...
Apple has been doing this in thier stores for a while and it works great. As a matter of fact, with your iPhone you can walk into a store, pick something off the shelf, pay for it with your phone and walk out -- never having to talk to anyone.

The world is moving to a self service (dont talk to me) environment (which in many ways is very sad).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:49 AM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

This is really nice and great to see something that is better integrated than Square. at least Square lets you use your own case, but still.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:51 AM   #9
jm001
macrumors regular

POS= point of sale
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:18 AM   #10
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMK View Post
They do it at Apple every day, several times an hour in fact.

And if the store is doing it then the store staff will know and they will develop some other system for marking what is paid for. Or Tahoe LP counters will be alerted to what items were rung up via a computer system or such.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
Apple has been doing this in thier stores for a while and it works great. As a matter of fact, with your iPhone you can walk into a store, pick something off the shelf, pay for it with your phone and walk out -- never having to talk to anyone.
For non serial items.

And only one at a time with a limit of three transactions an hour, if not day, which is annoying at times. Try to get two spare phone cables and wall charges and you are screwed for self checkout
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:40 AM   #11
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

I've been to the Apple Store a couple times and they've let me hold their pos scanners, I would prefer their pos scanner over these. The color on these are a little funky...
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:56 AM   #12
Rocketman
macrumors 603

I would like Apple to develop and deploy a merchant checkout POS system. Every one at every store is different with a different UI. An Apple unit would at least be ubiquitous and would simplify things for consumers. Then when you can pay by iPhone, it would be a mere software update.

POS machines are about $500. For $300 they would make 3-6x what they do on an Apple TV, or 2-3x an iPod touch.

Rocketman
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:48 PM   #13
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Unfortunate acronym.
dannyyankou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 03:14 PM   #14
osx11
macrumors 6502a

A little bulky but looks a lot more professional than the 'square'.......
osx11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 03:55 PM   #15
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesized View Post
What about chip and pin?
not all POS systems support chip and pin now, they are only recommended. This coupled with the fact that in NA purchased under 100$ don't require even a signature makes this a viable system.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 03:22 PM   #16
MattG
macrumors 68040

Am I missing something, or...why would they release this just for iPod and not iPhone? Pretty soon we're all going to have iPhones at work, and we use an inventory tracking system that utilizes barcodes. It'd be nice to be able to utilize our existing iPhones with these, rather than buy iPods for the sole purpose of doing inventory. (Assuming other companies would be able to utilize the barcode scanner feature with their apps)
MattG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:50 PM   #17
Lordskelic
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Lordskelic Send a message via Skype™ to Lordskelic
Reminds me of the iPod payment method the Apple Store uses...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion