Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

SimCity Getting Offline Mode Nearly a Year After Launch

EA is adding an offline mode to SimCity, nearly a year after saying it would require "a significant amount of engineering work" to do so. It should launch in the "near future", according to EA.

SimCity launched on the Mac last August and immediately ran into a number of problems including installation issues and more, but they were resolved fairly quickly -- particular in comparison to the extremely poor launch of SimCity on the PC.

SimCity's PC launch was more than a little rocky, largely because the game can only be played online. EA requires that the game be connected to its servers at all times. At launch, SimCity's servers were overwhelmed with traffic and the gameplay experience was extremely poor. Today, EA seems to have ironed out most of the bugs and users are playing the game as intended.

However, with offline mode "in the late phases" of development according to a post on EA's SimCity blog, it remains to be seen if it is too little, too late, for the game's fans.
Quote:
Yes, Offline is coming as a free download with Update 10 to all SimCity players. When we launch it, all of your previously downloaded content will be available to you anytime, anywhere, without the need for an internet connection. We are in the late phases of wrapping up its development and while we want to get it into your hands as soon as possible, our priority is to make sure that it's as polished as possible before we release it. So, until then... testing, testing and more testing. As one of the final steps, we're putting Offline into the hands of some of our most hardcore players, the DevTesters. This group of volunteers is going to put Offline through its paces before we release it.

In Update 10, you can still play solo in Regions on your own, or in Multiplayer with people from around the world. What's new is the Single Player Mode, which allows you to play the game Offline by yourself. And because your saved games in this mode are stored locally, you can save and load to your heart's content. Our team will be delivering a follow-up blog that will outline the full details in the near future so stay tuned.
SimCity is available through EA's Origin store at $40 for the standard game, or $60 for a Deluxe Edition that includes additional content. Purchases cover both PC and Mac platforms.

Article Link: SimCity Getting Offline Mode Nearly a Year After Launch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
tebruno99
macrumors newbie

Wooo!! Now I can Buy IT!!

This is what I've been waiting for, YES! I will add that I do feel lied to. This offline mode supposedly was Impossible with how the game was programmed, claimed EA. It won't take much in the future for me to never buy an EA game again, however I will reward *this* good behavior so at least they know Offline Mode is valuable.

Last edited by tebruno99; Jan 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM.
tebruno99 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Schtumple
macrumors 601

see vendor information in user profile
Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
I know it's a beaten to death argument, but, could this actually mean bigger maps will be coming? I don't mind if offline mode exists but given the gameplay is incredibly short compared to Cities XL, it still doesn't seem like a great purchase.

Last edited by Schtumple; Jan 13, 2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: off lien is most definitely not what I meant
Schtumple is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502

I played SimCity since it first came out and also Comand and Conquer. After EA bought the two, it has not been the same. C&C, I dont think is even supported anymore (and I think that only ever worked on a PC). I think EA was good at sports and heir expansion outside of that has not gone well. Oh well with all the iOS games evolving, I am not sure if this even matters now.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:21 AM   #5
isophia
macrumors newbie

One of the most easily anticipated games i'd had for a while... most definitely the most disappointing. The updates have at least made it playable - the lack of flexibility compared to the original games however is unforgivable. the lack of terrain editing, the pitifully small maps and the restrictions on motorway connections etc make for a sorely lacking game.
isophia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:22 AM   #6
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

About time!

This is a huge victory for gamers everywhere!

Requiring an online connection for games that could be played offline is an unneeded oppression and I'm happy to see EA reverse this foolhardy decision.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:32 AM   #7
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtumple View Post
I know it's a beaten to death argument, but, could this actually mean bigger maps will be coming? I don't mind if off lien mode exists but given the gameplay is incredibly short compared to Cities XL, it still doesn't seem like a great purchase.
They said at the same time this was announced that bigger maps are not comming.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:38 AM   #8
bryanescuela
macrumors regular

Re:

Hallelujah..!!!!!

bigger map size??
bryanescuela is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:45 AM   #9
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtumple View Post
I know it's a beaten to death argument, but, could this actually mean bigger maps will be coming? I don't mind if off lien mode exists but given the gameplay is incredibly short compared to Cities XL, it still doesn't seem like a great purchase.
I know it's personal preference, but I like the idea of smaller, more specialized cities. Sure it's not perfect, you should be able to edit regional highways & railroads. And the money is spread out across different cities rather that one large one. But I think that if they tweaked a few things, it could be interesting.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:46 AM   #10
Dainin
macrumors regular

I specifically did not purchase the game due to the online only restriction. While it sucks that they did not increase the map size, I will buy it once the requirement is removed just so they see the financial benefit in doing so.
Dainin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Wahlstrm
macrumors member

I want this :)

I need this game in my life
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiefan89 View Post
This is a huge victory for gamers everywhere
Releasing a patch for something that could have been done from the start, a year after the game launched, when no one is buying it any more, as a cynical attempt to try to create a few more sales is a "huge victory for gamers"?

I'd hate to see what you class as a defeat.
Snowshiro is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:04 PM   #13
blacka4
macrumors regular

i'm a little less then impressed with this version. not exactly what I had hoped. Citys are too small
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:06 PM   #14
blueroom
macrumors 603

I'm sure SimCity sales are slow so why burden their servers.
blueroom is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:09 PM   #15
Codyak
macrumors 6502

But, but... You need THE CLOUD to work out all that insane 50 sq ft city action!
Codyak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:36 PM   #16
springsup
macrumors 6502

OK, if this works I will definitely buy the game.

I love playing these kind of games. It's a shame the that CivRev and SimCity on iOS have stagnated so long (I've played both of them to death).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:43 PM   #17
euvnairb
macrumors member

I bought simcity for $20 as a black friday/cyber Monday deal. I guess most of the kinks were worked out before I purchased so my gameplay has been pretty pleasant so far. I owned SimCity 4 prior to this and I would have to agree that the maps are too small. Offline mode would be a welcome addition as I don't play in multi-player anyways.
euvnairb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Releasing a patch for something that could have been done from the start, a year after the game launched, when no one is buying it any more, as a cynical attempt to try to create a few more sales is a "huge victory for gamers"?

I'd hate to see what you class as a defeat.
No no no you've missed something...

No one bought the game because of the online requirements and now there moving to an offline model and.... Shutting down the servers!!
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:08 PM   #19
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
No no no you've missed something...

No one bought the game because of the online requirements and now there moving to an offline model and.... Shutting down the servers!!
Really?

If true it validates my reasons for not partaking of digital distribution or always online games.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:31 PM   #20
PassiveSmoking
macrumors member

Sorry, but until they give you more land than a postage stamp to build in and until they remove the Origin requirement, no sale.
PassiveSmoking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:31 PM   #21
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA
"Lets take an offline singleplayer game and make it online only and multiplayer!"
Didn't work out in the end did it? I wonder why....

I'm glad this is happening. Making SimCity online only was simply the worst idea ever and it seems that maybe EA are finally learning that their dickish moves and very lazy game development for consumers are hurting them. But I still won't be buying it until the AI is fixed, the cities are actually city sized and it is available for purchase on Steam. All of which will most likely be coming the 2nd of Never.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:40 PM   #22
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

They stated bigger city sizes aren't coming because the Glassbox engine doesn't scale well. Only higher-end computers would be able to run them. Who knows if that's really true, but maybe now some intrepid modders can work a miracle.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:55 PM   #23
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
I played SimCity since it first came out and also Comand and Conquer. After EA bought the two, it has not been the same. C&C, I dont think is even supported anymore (and I think that only ever worked on a PC). I think EA was good at sports and heir expansion outside of that has not gone well. Oh well with all the iOS games evolving, I am not sure if this even matters now.
Eh, even their sports games have suffered in recent years. They are so concerned with releasing one every year that each new edition is, at best, a marginal upgrade over the previous. Frankly I think it's way past time that another developer/publisher got their hands on these licenses.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:57 PM   #24
haydn!
macrumors 6502

It makes it slightly more interesting for me, but if they lied about this originally not being possible, are they lying about the bigger maps issue too?
haydn! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:04 PM   #25
simonmet
macrumors regular

Widely regarded as one of the biggest flops of 2013, now this backflip out of desperation. No thanks.

I'm looking forward to Tropico 5!
simonmet is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion